Re: angels landing

  • craig
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2012
      > The first part of Angels Landing is not at all scary IMHO - it is strenuous though as parts of it are steep. If you are afraid of heights I highly recommend hiking up to Scouts Landing and then hiking some on the West Rim Trail. It is absolutely beautiful up there and it is one of my favorite hikes in the area. Just go as far as you want and then turn around.
      Enjoy,
      Craig

      > Does this sound realistic? We Brits constantly underestimate distances in the US.
      >

      > We drive to Zion from San Diego. So we go thru Vegas on the way. I would say 3 hours each way so you will have plenty of time for your hike. The Southwest is pretty vast isn't it.
      > Cheers!

    • jeff
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 8, 2012
        If you can get out of Vegas at 0430, you'll have plenty of daylight to enjoy Zion. You might want to just stay on rt 9 once you get to the park and drive thru the long tunnel. At the end of the tunnel is the half mile Canyon Overlook trail (thrills with little risk when compared to Angels Landing). Consider driving the rest of the highway to the East Entrance. Plenty of roadside eye-opening scenery. Then return to the visitor center and the shuttle to the main canyon. After Scouts/Angels Landing, try the shady mile long Riverwalk in the afternoon.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 27, 2012
          Blogger Alfonso Pasquel has recently posted some enthusiastic pictorials on hiking in the Zion Narrows and up Angels Landing. His most recent post involves a via ferrata traverse in Telluride. See for yourself which has more iron, Telluride or Angels Landing.

          http://seekingtheburningbush.blogspot.com/2012/07/zion-part-ii-narrows.html