Zion DUI check point July 4 weekend

  • Shaun
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2012
      Coming to a Kolob Terrace road near you. I doubt they would catch anyone in the main canyon. Kolob has been the location in the past.

      ZION NATIONAL PARK - Zion National Park will enhance law enforcement against impaired driving over the Fourth of July weekend through expanded DUI checkpoints and increased road patrols.

      Superintendent Jock Whitworth said, "Rangers in the National Parks have two essential missions. One is to preserve and protect natural and cultural resources in perpetuity. The other is to provide for the safe enjoyment of those resources by visitors."

      Zion National Park's enforcement is aimed to keep all visitors, local residents, and wildlife safe on the park's roads. Impaired driving in Zion is especially dangerous due to the narrow roads, steep drop-offs and sharp turns.

      "Alcohol impairs many of the skills that safe driving requires," Whitworth said, "especially on the unique roadways within Zion National Park. In an effort to protect visitors and park resources, we will show zero tolerance, and anyone caught driving with a blood alcohol content of .08 or higher will be arrested."

      Please visit our earlier article on Law Enforcement 4th of July crack-down: Impaired drivers and seat belt violations, addressing data on the problem of drunk driving over the 4th of July Holiday, other law enforcement initiatives for the Holiday week, including Utah Highway Patrol.

      http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2012/07/03/zero-tolerance-at-zion-national-park/#comment-3603
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2012
        Not going to catch me this year :)

        I was supposed to be out in the area for 10 days this week, had some really great routes planning and was going to take advantage of low water flows but... had surgery on Friday and so I'm just on my back trying to move on as fast as possible. Sad to miss what has become an annual trip for me.