Pictures- Echo canyon

  • RAM
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2012
      Echo is a long time spring favorite. The snow sluicing off of Cable Mt. all winter makes the place beautiful and often treacherous. This years mild winter allowed a top[ to bottom descent, as the snow was only 15 feet deep at most and in only a place or two. The snow can often be 70 feet high in a big snow year, melting out at the edges, unseen by those on the snow above. very dangerous, you go first! When like this, going in from the bottom is very prudent. The snow accumulated in 2 spots, all below the rappels, so bottom up...goooood. Top down....baaaad....potential to get trapped between the raps and the dangerous snow. Bottom up needs no permit either ;-)

      This year no such worries and we enjoyed a descent into a winter wonderland. It appeared that someone had been in a week or so before us. No footprints but the ice appeared to have reformed from broken pieces, as is shown in pictures #40-41.

      The approach up the switchbacks was quite icy. Take care. A wonderful day in the ice and snow.

      Pictures?
      https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/Echo2912
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2012
        Hi Ram - Very nice! And since I was just through it gain in October, I recognized almost every turn. So I have to ask, how difficult are those potholes with broken ice all over the place? Back in the fall, those were all swimmers, so I'm thinking that the semi-keeper room would be more aggravating if you're fighting off large sheets of ice while trying to swim and pull yourself out. Cool stuff. -Joe

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 27, 2012
          It is slower for sure, moving the sheets and blocks out of the way. Sometimes they can aid the "up and out' part, but overall, slower and colder, but no big deal, although if one were in a drysuit, one might need to be careful about abrupt movements, like dropping unaided into that small pothole, least you tear your suit.