First time backpacking into Southern Utah

  • thumper
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 12 7:52 PM
      Hello all,

      Planning a trip this year to backpack in Zion, and looking for all the information I can get.
      The trip is going to be about 6 days and 5 nights. Not sure if it should be to two different areas or plan on one long stay at one. What is the best time to travel into southern Utah, is May better than June?
      Any and all information that you are willing to give would be appreciated.

      Thank you,

      Ben
    • hwstockman
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12 8:34 PM
        Zion ranges a bit in elevation, from 4000' to 8000', with an average difference of about 16F between the extremes. June usually gets a bit toasty in the nether regions. There are parts of "Southern Utah" that are up to 12000', and in some years, are quite cool even in June. Can you be more specific about where you want to go?

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 13 6:40 AM
          Agreed. For most backpacking hikes in Zion (La Verkin Creek, West Rim, East Rim, etc.) I'd choose May for the slightly cooler temps. Snow should be mostly clear at the higher elevations during "normal" years, and I think this year is turning out to be a low-snow year?

          The big drawback with May though... if you're hoping to backpack the Zion Narrows, this is typically the spring runoff when water levels are too high. Many years, the Narrows aren't open for business until mid-June or even July.

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "hwstockman" <hwstock@...> wrote:

          > Zion ranges a bit in elevation, from 4000' to 8000', with an average difference of about 16F between the extremes. June usually gets a bit toasty in the nether regions. There are parts of "Southern Utah" that are up to 12000', and in some years, are quite cool even in June. Can you be more specific about where you want to go?
          >
          > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "thumper" <thump3x@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all,
          > >
          > > Planning a trip this year to backpack in Zion, and looking for all the information I can get.
          > > The trip is going to be about 6 days and 5 nights. Not sure if it should be to two different areas or plan on one long stay at one. What is the best time to travel into southern Utah, is May better than June?
          > > Any and all information that you are willing to give would be appreciated.
          > >
          > > Thank you,
          > >
          > > Ben

        • TomJones
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 13 7:33 PM
            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "thumper" <thump3x@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            >
            > Planning a trip this year to backpack in Zion, and looking for all the information I can get.
            > The trip is going to be about 6 days and 5 nights. Not sure if it should be to two different areas or plan on one long stay at one. What is the best time to travel into southern Utah, is May better than June?
            > Any and all information that you are willing to give would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > Ben

            G'day Thumper -

            Zion is not that much of a backpacking Park, though with effort it can be stretched into a 5-night adventure, doing the Narrows (1 night, 2 days), then a Lee Pass to East Entrance (4 days, 3 nights). There are certainly wilder places to go in Utah, places with a lot fewer people, though June is often quite hot, and May even can be quite hot. June will tend to have some bad bugs - Cedar gnats and deer flies. Given the choice, take May.

            The Narrows is an excellent trip, and yes you really should do that. Very little snow this year so far, so it is likely to be open at least the last two weeks of May, maybe even before that. I would recommend after that a 4-day trip to Coyote Gulch (Escalante) after doing The Narrows. It is a 'very popular' trip in Escalante, but by May the crowds have cleared out and while you are unlikely to not see anyone, it is unlikely to be crowded.

            Tom
          • Ben Thamert
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 13 9:23 PM
              I have never been backpacking in Zion, I am open to any suggestions.

              Ben Thamert
              Broker
              Coldwell Banker BSSP
              5101 NE 82nd Ave., Suite 100
              Vancouver WA 98662
              Cell 360-606-6083
              E-fax 360-256-3092
              Direct 360-449-4224

              On Feb 12, 2012, at 8:34 PM, "hwstockman" <hwstock@...> wrote:

              Zion ranges a bit in elevation, from 4000' to 8000', with an average difference of about 16F between the extremes. June usually gets a bit toasty in the nether regions. There are parts of "Southern Utah" that are up to 12000', and in some years, are quite cool even in June. Can you be more specific about where you want to go?

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "thumper" <thump3x@...> wrote:

              > Hello all,
              >
              > Planning a trip this year to backpack in Zion, and looking for all the information I can get.
              > The trip is going to be about 6 days and 5 nights. Not sure if it should be to two different areas or plan on one long stay at one. What is the best time to travel into southern Utah, is May better than June?
              > Any and all information that you are willing to give would be appreciated.
              >
              > Thank you,
              >
              > Ben

              =
            • Ben Thamert
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 13 9:37 PM
                Thank you all for the information, I will look into the areas you mentioned, if there other places maybe in Bryce or out lying areas I would love to hear about them. If May is out of the equation what is the best month after the hot season?

                Thank you again,

                Ben Thamert
                Broker
                Coldwell Banker BSSP
                5101 NE 82nd Ave., Suite 100
                Vancouver WA 98662

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 14 11:38 AM
                  I list some of the more popular backpacking routes on my favorites list here:
                  http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/recommend.cfm

                  The West Rim Trail and La Verkin Creek Trail are good options for two-day hikes. The (almost) Trans-Zion Trek from Lee Pass down to the main canyon is a wonderful 3-4 day hike. And of course, the Narrows top-down hike if the water levels permit. -Joe