Re: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Narrows in Autumn

  • Jeff Schaber
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 17, 2011
      Yeah, after reading the comments, I went back and looked at the photos. It didn't look like they were suffering from cold but hypothermia can happen quickly. I tend to be more cautious and bring extra gear if needed but that's just me.

      Younger kids definitely have stronger ankles than us older folk who rely on good equipment a bit more. I was surprized to see all the tennis shoes. I wear 5.10 savants (mainly because the canyoneers are ugly as hell) and love the traction and confidence they give on those wet slippery rocks. 30 years ago though, I would have pulled the most comfortable stuff out of my closet and not given the hike a second thought. Wisdom comes with experience!

      On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Joe Braun <joe@...> wrote:

      Wow, I didn't notice the comments until you mentioned that. I think I'd tend to side with the original poster rather than the Anonymous chastiser. While wetsuits and drysuits are generally recommended during the fall months, it really depends on daily conditions. I hiked the Narrows twice when I was in Zion this October. One day I was freezing and the wetsuit bottom kept me nice and warm. Four days later (and 20 degrees warmer with 10cfs less flow), the wetsuit was too much and I was dying to take it off because I was overheating. (And a few years back, I wore shorts in November with no problem because it was an unseasonably warm day.)

      Judging by the photos, most of the kids had taken off their jackets halfway through the hike, so my guess is that they were not suffering too badly from the cold! I think they would have been in more danger of twisting an ankle from all of the extraneous log walking. :)

      --
      Jeff Schaber
      ------------------

      Be who you are, say what you feel.
      Because those that mind don't matter
      and those that matter don't mind!

      ~Dr. Seuss~
    • hwstockman
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 17, 2011
        I have this photo of a friend in a full 7mm wetsuit, in the Subway... while behind her is a girl in a bikini.

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 17, 2011
          ha ha, that's great!

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "hwstockman" <hwstock@...> wrote:

          > I have this photo of a friend in a full 7mm wetsuit, in the Subway... while behind her is a girl in a bikini.
          >
          > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Schaber <jeffschaber@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Yeah, after reading the comments, I went back and looked at the photos. It
          > > didn't look like they were suffering from cold but hypothermia can happen
          > > quickly. I tend to be more cautious and bring extra gear if needed but
          > > that's just me.

        • sumiwada
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 21, 2011
            It's amazing what a difference a few weeks can make. My son and I did the hike two weeks ago and we were very happy to be one of the silly tourists donning the Zion Adventures dry suits. Flow was 107cfs, water temp was a frigit 40* and air temps were in the 40's in the shade of the canyon. We were both wearing three layers under the dry suits, top and bottom, and it was just about right (but not so warm that we felt like stopping for more than a few minutes at a time.)

            I'll say this. One advantage of the dry suit was that we could float most of the way back down though, admitedly, we seemed to be only ones doing this. Other hikers looked as us like we were insane when we floated by...