Re: Coming back

  • jeff
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2011
      The Northgate Peaks Trail hike would involve a five mile roundtrip effort. That's twice the mileage of the Riverwalk, but it is virtually level the entire way.

      This hike starts at the Wildcat Canyon trailhead 16 miles up the paved Kolob Terrace Road from rt 9 and the town of Virgin. No gas stations or other amenities on this road. There is a vault toilet at the trailhead. The first mile or so of the hike is on the Wildcat Canyon Trail. You'll encounter signs along the way directing to the Northgate Peaks. About halfway into the hike you'll encounter a grassy viewing area where a trail to the Subway branches off. Once you make it to the end of the Northgate Peaks trail, you can admire the views and even hike or scramble up a peak if you chose or simply return to the Wildcat Canyon Trailhead.

      From the Wildcat Trailhead you could continue on the Kolob Terrace Road to Lava Point. The Kolob Terrace Rd changes from asphalt to dirt at some point, but a passenger car will have no trouble with the surface as long as the road ain't wet and muddy. At Lava Point you can walk around the lookout point area or walk down the road or trail to the West Rim trailhead. The West Rim trail for the next several miles is a wide and flat and offers opportunities for viewing the spectacular canyon country of Zion.

      If you're visiting in early October and feeling adventurous, you might consider continuing on the Kolob Terrace Road to the reservoir and even beyond. The aspens ought to be golden up in the high country. My wife and I've taken that road all the way to rt 14 and Cedar City several times and everytime we've had to wade thru some sort of livestock drive, sometimes cattle, sometimes sheep, one time llamas. I imagine that might be irksome for somebody who had to deal with such traffic during a daily commute, but we east coast city slickers thought it was memorably cool.
    • jeff
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2011
        The August issue of Sunset magazine has a sidebar about skipping the crowds and shuttles of Zion Canyon and visiting the Kolob Canyons section of ZNP. The mag recommends the one mile round trip Timber Creek Overlook Trail at the end of the paved Kolob Canyons Rd.

        There are other viewpoints along that road as well as the trailhead for Taylor Creek Trail that might be of interest to you.
      • Jacqueline O Chaplin
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2011
          Thanks, Jeff et al for all the suggestions for my return trip in Oct.

          Jacqueline O. Chaplin

          Roadtrek 2008 210V. San Antonio Race for the Cure May 12, 2012--Contact me with any questions at 2102733876. Sent from my iPad
        • craig
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 9, 2011
            Hey Jacqueline,
            I just got back from Zion so i thought I would add to this. As far as short trails, we found the best/easiest to be The Canyon Overlook, Pa'rus trail, Sand Bench Trail and The Emerald Pools lower and Middle trails. The best is The Canyon Overlook which is a wonderfully diverse trail, great scenery with a fabulous view on top. For slightly more of a challenge - the Watchman trail is not too long.
            Note to you, if you are staying in the park we found the food absolutely magnificent. What stood out was The Spotted Dog, Amigo's and Oscar's (unbelievable sandwiches).
            Best,
            Craig

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jacqueline.chaplin" <southerner15@...> wrote:

            > I will be making a return trip to Zion in Oct. Wondering how far from Scout's Landing I need to go in order to get a good shot of Walter's Wiggles? Also, besides Riverside Walk are there any other fairly short trails I can take so a friend can tag along? I am so excited about being able to return, it has been too long.
            >
            > Jacqueline

          • Jacqueline O Chaplin
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 10, 2011
              Thanks all for the ideas of some easy hikes in Zion--my friend appreciated it also. Thanks also for the eatery suggestions as we will be staying in the park. Only disappointment before was Bumbleberry Pie, not the pie, but the price.