Re: Weather Question to all

  • Shaun
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 10, 2011
      there is something to do in all temperatures, so yes hiking is possible.

      something with water is nice as long as the threat of rain isn't high.

      early morning when the temperature is cool. also carry a lot of water and be sure to take periodic breaks in the shade to cool your body down.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 10, 2011
        I tend to be out there in July. Not my preferred time, spring/fall nicer, but it's what I get with a kid in school.

        Monsoon seems to start mid July some time but its variable and sometimes doesn't get so far north. I was out last year in a week that was very monsoon weather.

        My style for summer is to be in the car while it is still dark and on trail in early light, certainly by dawn. It is far and away the nicest time of day. Unless its cloudy overnight (possible with monsoon weather) there is a big overnight temperature drop.

        If I am climbing, I want to be done going up by 11 or so. It's just too hot after that. BUT if it's overcast and there's no nearby thunder booming, that can allow climbing later into the afternoon, as it won't get quite so hot.

        I try to avoid being in any place that would be bad if it rained, including a lot of roads which are impassible when wet, after early afternoon.

        I also spend a bunch of time checking weather forecasts, the NOAA technical weather discussion, and weather radar so I can tell what areas got wet while I was out there. And drink a lot :)

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "craig" <craig326@...> wrote:

        > I am considering a trip to Zion (first time!) in the first Week of August. I was wondering if anyone has done this and what to expect weather wise. I have been told the afternoons are not conducive to hiking and that there are frequent thunderstorms that time of year. Any comments would GREATLY be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Sincerely,
        > Craig

      • jeff
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 10, 2011
          You might set up some of your days to include a morning hike such as to Angel Landing or Observation Point and an afternoon hike such as up the narrows or Hidden Canyon with the idea that the afternoon hikes would mostly be in the shade.

          You could also mediate the heat issue by heading to higher ground: The Kolob Section, Lava Point, the hike to the Northgate Peaks, or even a daytrip or overnighter to Bryce Canyon.

          Personally, I head to Colorado in August.

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mojave_ben" <mojave_ben@...> wrote:

          > I tend to be out there in July. Not my preferred time, spring/fall nicer, but it's what I get with a kid in school.
          >
          > Monsoon seems to start mid July some time but its variable and sometimes doesn't get so far north. I was out last year in a week that was very monsoon weather.
          >
          > My style for summer is to be in the car while it is still dark and on trail in early light, certainly by dawn. It is far and away the nicest time of day. Unless its cloudy overnight (possible with monsoon weather) there is a big overnight temperature drop.
          >
          > If I am climbing, I want to be done going up by 11 or so. It's just too hot after that. BUT if it's overcast and there's no nearby thunder booming, that can allow climbing later into the afternoon, as it won't get quite so hot.
          >
          > I try to avoid being in any place that would be bad if it rained, including a lot of roads which are impassible when wet, after early afternoon.
          >
          > I also spend a bunch of time checking weather forecasts, the NOAA technical weather discussion, and weather radar so I can tell what areas got wet while I was out there. And drink a lot :)
          >
          > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "craig" <craig326@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am considering a trip to Zion (first time!) in the first Week of August. I was wondering if anyone has done this and what to expect weather wise. I have been told the afternoons are not conducive to hiking and that there are frequent thunderstorms that time of year. Any comments would GREATLY be appreciated.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance,
          > > Sincerely,
          > > Craig

        • craig
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 10, 2011
            Where do you hike in Colorado?
            Craig

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jeff" <jb838@...> wrote:

            > You might set up some of your days to include a morning hike such as to Angel Landing or Observation Point and an afternoon hike such as up the narrows or Hidden Canyon with the idea that the afternoon hikes would mostly be in the shade.
            >
            > You could also mediate the heat issue by heading to higher ground: The Kolob Section, Lava Point, the hike to the Northgate Peaks, or even a daytrip or overnighter to Bryce Canyon.
            >
            > Personally, I head to Colorado in August.
            >
            > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mojave_ben" <mojave_ben@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I tend to be out there in July. Not my preferred time, spring/fall nicer, but it's what I get with a kid in school.
            > >
            > > Monsoon seems to start mid July some time but its variable and sometimes doesn't get so far north. I was out last year in a week that was very monsoon weather.
            > >
            > > My style for summer is to be in the car while it is still dark and on trail in early light, certainly by dawn. It is far and away the nicest time of day. Unless its cloudy overnight (possible with monsoon weather) there is a big overnight temperature drop.
            > >
            > > If I am climbing, I want to be done going up by 11 or so. It's just too hot after that. BUT if it's overcast and there's no nearby thunder booming, that can allow climbing later into the afternoon, as it won't get quite so hot.
            > >
            > > I try to avoid being in any place that would be bad if it rained, including a lot of roads which are impassible when wet, after early afternoon.
            > >
            > > I also spend a bunch of time checking weather forecasts, the NOAA technical weather discussion, and weather radar so I can tell what areas got wet while I was out there. And drink a lot :)
            > >
            > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "craig" <craig326@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I am considering a trip to Zion (first time!) in the first Week of August. I was wondering if anyone has done this and what to expect weather wise. I have been told the afternoons are not conducive to hiking and that there are frequent thunderstorms that time of year. Any comments would GREATLY be appreciated.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance,
            > > > Sincerely,
            > > > Craig

          • TomJones
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 10, 2011
              Well, Sedona is MUCH more likely to have a monsoon going.

              When it is really hot out, head into the Narrows and Orderville. Supernice in there. The West Rim Trail from the top down is good in those conditions, as are many hikes getting up early, as in, real early.

              "Siesta".

              Tom

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "craig" <craig326@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Tom. I am debating between Sedona (where I have already been once) and Zion. Would love to do Zion - just a little concerned. I do like your 20% odds. Question- if it is 100 degrees is hiking possible in those conditions out there?
              > Craig
              > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "TomJones" <ratagonia@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Weather in Zion is highly variable.
              > >
              > > The monsoon visits us from time to time, and in that case there will be thunderstorms every day, and it makes some hikes difficult. Also makes for spectacular waterfalls.
              > >
              > > From The Book:
              > >
              > > The Monsoon
              > > Thunderstorms and flash floods can occur at any time of the year, but during the summer, a special pattern sets up that produces big thunderstorms day after day. The Monsoon weather pattern can set up for a few days or a few weeks, anytime in the summer or fall. Warm, moist air is drawn from the Gulf of California, and produces powerful thunderstorms each afternoon. Thunderstorms lead to flash floods - not good for canyoneers.
              > >
              > > The Monsoon works like this: it rains in the afternoon or during the night. The morning dawns clear and hot, and all that moisture starts evaporating off into the sky. Unfortunately, the air aloft is already holding a lot of moisture. Thunderhead clouds start to build, often being prominent as early as 10 am. The clouds build and build, eventually collapsing in huge thunderstorms.
              > >
              > > How can you tell if the Monsoon has set up? Pay close attention to the weather report, and note large thunderheads beginning to build as early as 10 am.
              > >
              > > How can you canyoneer in the Monsoon? You can't. Go hiking, visit Vegas, or carefully choose short adventures and start very early in the day. Assess the risk carefully.
              > >
              > > ---
              > >
              > > From a canyoneers viewpoint, what you do when it threatens is go hiking. Wear a raincoat. Avoid being the highest point when the action starts.
              > >
              > > http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0409summer/index.htm
              > >
              > > I'd say your chance of having monsoon conditions is about 20%. Otherwise, I would expect it to be hot. In the 90's (50%) or the 100's (25%), or maybe not so hot - 80's (25%).
              > >
              > > Tom
              > >

              > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "craig" <craig326@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I am considering a trip to Zion (first time!) in the first Week of August. I was wondering if anyone has done this and what to expect weather wise. I have been told the afternoons are not conducive to hiking and that there are frequent thunderstorms that time of year. Any comments would GREATLY be appreciated.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks in advance,
              > > > Sincerely,
              > > > Craig

            • Felicia Bicknell
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 10, 2011

                What about the North Rim of Grand Canyon?  It is beautiful up there.

                > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "craig" <craig326@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > >  I am considering a
                trip to Zion (first time!) in the first Week of August. I was wondering if anyone has done this and what to expect weather wise. I have been told the afternoons are not conducive to hiking and that there are frequent thunderstorms that time of year. Any comments would GREATLY be appreciated.

                > > > Thanks in advance,
                > > > Sincerely,
                > > > Craig

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    Zion_National_Park_Hiking-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    Zion_National_Park_Hiking-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • jeff
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 11, 2011
                  I'm originally from South Jersey where Apple Pie Hill (all 250 feet of it)deep in the Pine Barrens is the biggest rise between Philly and Atlantic City so I go just about anywhere in Colorado to get really high.

                  Like many others I'm addicted to Fourteeners. Check out www.14ers.com