Parunaweap Safety - River Levels?

  • TomJones
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2011
      Here is an exchange with a ZAC customer that some people might be interested in:

      "Parunaweap Safety"

      The information we usually provide for Parunaweap is in the context of the 3/8 mile traverse from the end of Misery Canyon to the Powell Plaque exit, for canyoneers. I understand the Powell Plaque exit is easier to see and easier to land on than in previous years. Canyoneers would be wearing wetsuits or drysuits, and helmets, and would likely swim this with some trepidation but not very much difficulty.

      As a backpacker, hiking the Barracks is an entirely different matter. The canyon is half the size in the East Fork, so yes, the numbers as you lay out are a reasonable evaluation. At 100 cfs it may just be possible to stand in the stream, but very difficult to make progress without swimming. Packraft??

      Hiking The Barracks, you would be in the water for several hours at a time. It would be a technical canyoneering adventure.

      However, once this spell of rain finally stops, the East Fork should come down rather quickly. The area feeding the East Fork is not as high as nor as big as the area feeding the North Fork. You can visit Mt Carmel Junction and see and walk in the river there, and then decide if the hike would be something you want to do.

      Tom