Re: East fork of virgin river

    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2011
      Hi Erik - Yes, there is a guage for the East Fork, hopefully this URL won't get sliced:

      http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv?cb_00065=on&cb_00060=on&format=gif_default&period=120&site_no=09404900

      It's running well above normal even for spring runoff. I've hiked the East Fork three times in May over the past decade and water levels have never been an issue, but this year's readings make me think it might be a bit difficult or risky right now. Anybody with 1st hand experience? I read a recent report of people who descended Misery and avoided hiking down the East Fork because it looked too strong.

      Nobody closes the East Fork for water levels since the only hikable part is in BLM land outside of the park proper, but I would play it safe and let things calm down. Several weeks to a month from now, things may be more doable.