Re: Zion Wildflowers 2010

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2011
      Agreed, these are great photos and I love the creamy bokeh! :) Looking forward to seeing more of your work this year! -Joe

    • NJedge@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2011
        Really enjoyed these, thanks

        Win

        In a message dated 3/4/2011 11:36:04 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, kathylangin@... writes:

        Derrick---
        These photos rock!  You have a special talent!
        Kathy

        I think there are a few souls on here who appreciate this sort of thing, so this update's for you.

        I have 5 wildflower galleries on my site, and I just finished updating the first one with my finds for the 2010 season. I started with the smallest one first. There are 12 new pictures in the Green and Brown Wildflower Gallery. This includes 6 species that I hadn't photographed before last year.

        The other galleries are going to receive a much larger update, so I'll post a reply on here once I get each one finished. Like always, each species was found and photographed in the park. I'm hoping for another great year after all the moisture the park has received!

        Here's an idea of what's inside...

        -Derrick

        Leopard Lily (Fritillaria atropurpurea)

      • Heather Long
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 4, 2011
          I will concur! These are great! :) Thanks for sharing!

          ------------------------
          Heather Long
          Designer | Founder
          Simply Designed
          Invitations & Stationery Design
          www.sdinvites.com

          Follow us on our blog!
          http://sdinvites.com/wordpress/

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2011
            My Orange, Red, and Pink gallery is now up to date as well. For the most part, the first 7 pages are the new material. I added 61 new images, at least 20 of those are species that were new to me.

            Thank you all for the kind comments, I really appreciate them. Here are a few of my favorites from this batch.

            -Derrick

            Woods' Rose (Rosa woodsii)
            Woods' Rose (Rosa woodsii)

            New Mexico Locust (Robinia neomexicana)
            New Mexico Locust (Robinia neomexicana)

            Zion Phlox (Phlox austromontana)
            Zion Phlox (Phlox austromontana)
          • TomJones
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 7, 2011
              Amazing, excellent. Twenty new species!!!

              I still wish you would give at least rough locations...

              Tom

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 7, 2011
                Thanks Tom,

                I have plans to make more information available, but it's not going to happen until I get rid of the backlog.

                In addition to what I've uploaded, I have "ID shots" for each plant. Pictures of leaves, bracts, pods... stuff that helps in identification. I intend to make individual pages for each species so that I have a good place to put these photos, and this would also be a good area for me to put any info. I've collected on locality.

                If there's anything on there now that you're really itching to find, let me know and I'll see if I can help you out.

                -Derrick

                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "TomJones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:

                > Amazing, excellent. Twenty new species!!!
                >
                > I still wish you would give at least rough locations...
                >
                > Tom
              • Phoenix_DZ
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 8, 2011
                  After much distractedness I've finally updated my Purple and Blue gallery. New photos are all on the first 9-10 pages. I added 28 new species, but there are old favorites in there as well... I've included a few of them here.

                  -Derrick

                  Dusty Beardtongue (Penstemon comarrhenus)
                  Dusty Beardtongue (Penstemon comarrhenus)

                  Columbia lupine (Lupinus latifolius)
                  Columbia lupine (Lupinus latifolius)

                  Zion Milkvetch (Astragalus zionis)
                  Zion Milkvetch (Astragalus zionis)

                  Prairie Spiderwort (Tradescantia occidentalis)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 8, 2011
                    Nice...

                    I'm surprised to 'hear' you call that last one "Prairie Spiderwort". Most places it seems to be "Western", that scoundrel Welsh calls it simpley "Spiderwort", and the name in latin is "Western". What source uses "Prairie"?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 9, 2011
                      Hey Tom,

                      I use the USDA Plants Database for my common names. There really isn't any standardization to them, I don't even think it's attempted. As long as I get the scientific names right, I don't worry too much about 'em.

                      USDA Plants was developed by the people at BONAP, but now they're working on a new atlas for all the plants in North America. If you've ever noticed the range maps on swcoloradowildflowers, these are the folks he's getting the maps from. You can check out their website here http://www.bonap.org/

                      -Derrick

                      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "TomJones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:

                      > Nice...
                      >
                      > I'm surprised to 'hear' you call that last one "Prairie Spiderwort". Most places it seems to be "Western", that scoundrel Welsh calls it simpley "Spiderwort", and the name in latin is "Western". What source uses "Prairie"?
                      >
                      > Tom
                    • TomJones
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 9, 2011
                        Thanks Derrick -