Re: INTERMEDIATE DAY HIKE

  • jeff
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2011
      Northgate Peaks Trail would be my first recommendation. 4 miles roundtrip, mostly level, somewhat shady, and with cool views at the end.
      20 plus mile drive from Flanigans. Once you're out on the Kolob Terrace road you could also consider visiting Lava Pt or Cave Knoll if you wanted to add to the day's activities.

      Alternatively, you could head in the opposite direction from Flanigans and try some east canyon hikes like Petroglyph Canyon, Hidden Gardens, or even just a stroll on the east rim trail to Jolley Gulch. JoeB's site as well as Tanya's site have the details on these family friendly hikes.

      Does your mom use trekking poles? They can be useful knee savers.

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, backcountryblazer <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Thank you to all that helped me with planning my Zion Traverse hike. I was hoping to get some feedback on something else. My wife and my 2 kids are heading to Zion in early May. I am meeting my mother their, we are staying at Flanigan's. My mom is an avid hiker but she's getting up there and her knees aren't what they used to be. (God she'd kill me if she ever knew I posted this!) I am looking for a good day hike in the main canyon or close by. Last year we did the Riverside walk, which was very easy for her. We also did part of the Emerald Pools trail. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    • backcountryblazer
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2011
        Thanks for the info Jeff. I will check those hikes out. Yes, my mom uses trekking poles, they are the backbone of her operation.