Visit to Zion - Angels' Landing and the Narrows advice sought

  • webbcarole
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2011
      I came across Joe's site on a search on the web and have found it to be an extremely useful and informative guide congratulations and well done.
      However I am planning a trip from the UK in September (this will be our third) and we have never ventured too far up the Narrows or even attempted Angels Landing. I am not particularly good with heights but looking at the photos it doesn't look like there are too many steep drop offs up to Scout Lookout - is this the case, if so I think I would like to give it a go. I know there is no way I could make it to Angel's Landing itself. Roughly how long would it take to get to Scout Lookout and back - we are hoping to do this in the morning and then the Narrows in the afternoon if possible.
      I would welcome any views on the feasibility of this
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2011
        Happy New Year! It could take roughly about an hour to hike from the Grotto Trailhead up to Scout's Lookout. (Of course times can vary wildly depending on how fast or slow you hike.) It's a lot of uphill and is a little steep in places, but it really doesn't take that long. The trail is wide and almost completely cement construction, so I don't think the fear of heights should bother most people. It's definitely nothing like the spur trail to Angels Landing. The view from Scout's Lookout is definitely worth the hiking time if you don't want to venture any further to Angels.

        So Scouts Lookout in the morning and a leisurely stroll up the Narrows would be quite reasonable. Of course, keep track of time in the Narrows, so you don't get stuck in there when the sun goes down. -Joe

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2011
          Yes, I did exactly that combination a few years ago. It was midsummer so longer light (and we did start exceedingly early) but we also went a good 45 minutes beyond Scout Looking seeking a spring higher up (it was not flowing then).

          Note that you want rather different gear for the two walks so pack accordingly. There's water at the bus stop for Angel's, presumably runs in September, so you can refill bottles - also is at the end of the bus route as well. We hid some of our water gear in some bushes a bit away from the Angel's bus stop so we wouldn't have to carry it up and back.

          Good combo hike.