Rappel from Cable Mountain??

  • Erik
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 27, 2010
      Have been meaning to ask the group about this. I took my kids (ages 15 and 13) up to Cable Mountain on our last trip to Zion in November. I noticed a bolt placed right on the rim to the left of the old cableworks. I couldn't explain to my kids why a bolt would have been placed in such a location. Surely you cannot rapel from there, can you?
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 27, 2010
        Geeze, good question, and I don't have any answer for you. But related, I have seen bolts in similarly odd locations like a few along the Observation Point Trail at seemingly 500+ft drops and a sling wrapped around a tree off of the West Rim Trail above Angels Landing at what appeared to be a 2000+ft sheer drop. I'm sure those with more technical climbing/canyoneering ability than me must be doing SOMETHING interesting at these points. Tom? Ram? (I know you're probably at FreezeFest by now.) A bolt on Cable Mountain definitely makes me imagine something intense.

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Erik" <erik.sandhu@...> wrote:

        > Have been meaning to ask the group about this. I took my kids (ages 15 and 13) up to Cable Mountain on our last trip to Zion in November. I noticed a bolt placed right on the rim to the left of the old cableworks. I couldn't explain to my kids why a bolt would have been placed in such a location. Surely you cannot rapel from there, can you?

      • Jeff Schaber
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 27, 2010
          Maybe they were put there by the park service for maintenance reasons? To inspect a Condor nest, etc.?
          Jeff Schaber

          "Be who you are
           Say what you feel
           Because those that mind don't matter
           and those that matter don't mind"

           ~Dr. Seuss~

                 __|__
           *---O--(_)--O---*

          On 12/27/10 9:06 PM, Joe Braun wrote:

          Geeze, good question, and I don't have any answer for you. But related, I have seen bolts in similarly odd locations like a few along the Observation Point Trail at seemingly 500+ft drops and a sling wrapped around a tree off of the West Rim Trail above Angels Landing at what appeared to be a 2000+ft sheer drop. I'm sure those with more technical climbing/canyoneering ability than me must be doing SOMETHING interesting at these points. Tom? Ram? (I know you're probably at FreezeFest by now.) A bolt on Cable Mountain definitely makes me imagine something intense.

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Erik" <erik.sandhu@...> wrote:

          > Have been meaning to ask the group about this. I took my kids (ages 15 and 13) up to Cable Mountain on our last trip to Zion in November. I noticed a bolt placed right on the rim to the left of the old cableworks. I couldn't explain to my kids why a bolt would have been placed in such a location. Surely you cannot rapel from there, can you?

        • TomJones
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 28, 2010
            It is possible there is a route up the face that ends there, at the top, though it seems placing a bolt there could be avoided.

            When wildfires are in the area, the Park places stuff around the beams up there to keep it from catching fire - could be associated with this, perhaps???

            I like the idea of it being positioned above an aerie for biologists to go look at nests, though again it seems a bolt could be avoided.

            Details would be helpful, but...

            If you see a sling around a tree, please consider it litter and remove it.

            There are some bolts along the Obs Point Trail from that murder investigation (oops, sorry, 'insurance fraud investigation') about 10 years ago.

            Off to Freeze Fest this evening.

            > Geeze, good question, and I don't have any answer for you. But related, I have seen bolts in similarly odd locations like a few along the Observation Point Trail at seemingly 500+ft drops and a sling wrapped around a tree off of the West Rim Trail above Angels Landing at what appeared to be a 2000+ft sheer drop. I'm sure those with more technical climbing/canyoneering ability than me must be doing SOMETHING interesting at these points. Tom? Ram? (I know you're probably at FreezeFest by now.) A bolt on Cable Mountain definitely makes me imagine something intense.
            >
            > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Erik" <erik.sandhu@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Have been meaning to ask the group about this. I took my kids (ages 15 and 13) up to Cable Mountain on our last trip to Zion in November. I noticed a bolt placed right on the rim to the left of the old cableworks. I couldn't explain to my kids why a bolt would have been placed in such a location. Surely you cannot rapel from there, can you?

          • TDLphoto.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 29, 2010
              "If you see a sling around a tree, please consider it litter and remove it."

              I agree with this to a point, but I think it is definitely a case-by-case basis. If it is around a tree, that isn't a safe anchor that I would repel off of, unless it is a big tree, however if it is around a structurally sound/placed rock for repelling through one of the canyons, i would say leave it please as it is better than drilling in a bolt.

              As a rock climber, I don't mind seeing a few bolts here and there at the top of a cliff, especially if i am going to climb that face all day, so if you see bolts, just leave them as the damage has already been done to the stone and it allows people to get out and enjoy the rock safely.

              I hope that everyone had a great Christmas and that 2011 is even better.

              Cheers,
              tim