Re: Just wondering...

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 15, 2010
      Take a look at the photo on p. 73 of Berreton's book. I think that's the spot where the log is (comparing with my own photos) but the log wasn't there in his photo. Is this the spot? I am judging by the shapes of the green patches on the far wall and the curves of the rocks in the foreground.

      Copyright on the book is 1988 but of course he'd taken his pix before then. But with RAM's comment about 1986, that would probably suggest early 80's some time for the log to appear.

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Darrel" <didrumm@...> wrote:

      > How long has that log been standing in the Subway? Anybody know?

    • jeff
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 15, 2010
        Logging in with another log comment. This log is also in Hidden. It as of Nov 2008 was located at a drop off/dry fall. I'm thinking the last time I was at that location 10-15 years ago the log wasn't there because at that time I was unable to advance up canyon, but in 2008 I was thanks to the log. Back in the early 1980s I also got above that drop off. Must have been another log. Logging out. jeffb

        > I'm late to this thread, but I'm amazed that that log has been there for so long. It is so recognizable and iconic; it's the perfect photographic subject and the Subway just wouldn't be the same without it.
        >
        > When I was a kid, I always thought logs would be around forever, not knowing much about decay and the power of flash floods. My favorite log was in Hidden Canyon; there was one located at a little climb-up area upcanyon of the sinking ship rock. As a kid, I would sit on it and hop my way up it to get beyond the obstacle; I thought it was the coolest thing. It was there in the 70s and 80s, but alas, when I returned in the 90s, it was completely gone. But being older, I realized that I didn't even need the log; I could just walk up the obstacle. Things were so much more intimidating as a 6yo!
        >
        > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:
        > >
        > > No idea. It was there in 1986.
        > >
        > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Darrel" <didrumm@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > How long has that log been standing in the Subway? Anybody know?

      • TDLphoto.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 16, 2010
          I assume that we are talking about this log:

          http://photos.tdlphoto.com/pod/e3e76bd6d

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mojave_ben" <mojave_ben@...> wrote:

          > Take a look at the photo on p. 73 of Berreton's book. I think that's the spot where the log is (comparing with my own photos) but the log wasn't there in his photo. Is this the spot? I am judging by the shapes of the green patches on the far wall and the curves of the rocks in the foreground.
          >
          > Copyright on the book is 1988 but of course he'd taken his pix before then. But with RAM's comment about 1986, that would probably suggest early 80's some time for the log to appear.
          >
          > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Darrel" <didrumm@> wrote:
          > >
          > > How long has that log been standing in the Subway? Anybody know?

        • RAM
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 16, 2010
            Yes, that one. Loved your pictures!

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "TDLphoto.com" <tdlundin@...> wrote:

            > I assume that we are talking about this log:
            >
            > http://photos.tdlphoto.com/pod/e3e76bd6d
            >

            > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mojave_ben" <mojave_ben@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Take a look at the photo on p. 73 of Berreton's book. I think that's the spot where the log is (comparing with my own photos) but the log wasn't there in his photo. Is this the spot? I am judging by the shapes of the green patches on the far wall and the curves of the rocks in the foreground.
            > >
            > > Copyright on the book is 1988 but of course he'd taken his pix before then. But with RAM's comment about 1986, that would probably suggest early 80's some time for the log to appear.
            > >
            > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Darrel" <didrumm@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > How long has that log been standing in the Subway? Anybody know?

          • Clay
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 16, 2010
              The bottom of that log must be settled in a hole in the sandstone. Seems like after many years of flooding it would have been was down by now. Any other theories as to how or why it still is leaning against the wall?

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 17, 2010
                Thank you. That was from a cold voyage down on November 3rd last month.

                I'm working on getting more up soon.

                I agree though, there has to be something holding that in place because it has been there through a lot of floods.

                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:

                > Yes, that one. Loved your pictures!
                >
                > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "TDLphoto.com" <tdlundin@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I assume that we are talking about this log:
                > >
                > > http://photos.tdlphoto.com/pod/e3e76bd6d
                > >

                > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mojave_ben" <mojave_ben@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Take a look at the photo on p. 73 of Berreton's book. I think that's the spot where the log is (comparing with my own photos) but the log wasn't there in his photo. Is this the spot? I am judging by the shapes of the green patches on the far wall and the curves of the rocks in the foreground.
                > > >
                > > > Copyright on the book is 1988 but of course he'd taken his pix before then. But with RAM's comment about 1986, that would probably suggest early 80's some time for the log to appear.

              • chrisanla
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 17, 2010
                  Well if you guys must know why the log is still there, I can tell you the exact reason so you guys will not wonder anymore.
                  As we all know that log in that room is an iconic picture and every Southwest photographer and amateur photographer has taken that picture, Except me. You see i did try once few years ago, packed my backpack with my SLR camera, 2 of the best and heaviest lenses that i have, tons of memory cards, extra batteries, Tripod and some ND filters and boy was i ready. Halfway to the Hike, i was trying going around an obstacle and i slipped but i was able to grab a branch on the tree but unfortunately my body was a bit twisted and my back gave out. I could not move and stand str8. I found out afterwards that its the sciatoca nerve, What a Bitch! So i had to turn back cause it was hurting like hell and getting late and i could not move that fast and was even worried that i may not make it to my car b4 dark. Well i did get to my car around 7:30pm had to use the headlamp the last few hundred yards but i made it, and if that was not enough i got sick from drinking too much water and not having anything in my Stomach by the time i got to my car...well lets just say it was horrible. So u see, we have unfinished business me and that Log, it's waiting for me and it's not going anywhere. As for me, Oh Im going back allright, even if i have to crawl on my hands and Knees, im going and taking the freaking pics, so i can add to my portfolio as well. Until that time comes it will be there waiting and waiting till i make my peace. :-)
                  Chris

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 18, 2010
                    So where in that paragraph about getting hurt is the reason the log is still there?

                    --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "chrisanla" <chrisanla@...> wrote:

                    > Well if you guys must know why the log is still there, I can tell you the exact reason so you guys will not wonder anymore.
                    > As we all know that log in that room is an iconic picture and every Southwest photographer and amateur photographer has taken that picture, Except me. You see i did try once few years ago, packed my backpack with my SLR camera, 2 of the best and heaviest lenses that i have, tons of memory cards, extra batteries, Tripod and some ND filters and boy was i ready. Halfway to the Hike, i was trying going around an obstacle and i slipped but i was able to grab a branch on the tree but unfortunately my body was a bit twisted and my back gave out. I could not move and stand str8. I found out afterwards that its the sciatoca nerve, What a Bitch! So i had to turn back cause it was hurting like hell and getting late and i could not move that fast and was even worried that i may not make it to my car b4 dark. Well i did get to my car around 7:30pm had to use the headlamp the last few hundred yards but i made it, and if that was not enough i got sick from drinking too much water and not having anything in my Stomach by the time i got to my car...well lets just say it was horrible. So u see, we have unfinished business me and that Log, it's waiting for me and it's not going anywhere. As for me, Oh Im going back allright, even if i have to crawl on my hands and Knees, im going and taking the freaking pics, so i can add to my portfolio as well. Until that time comes it will be there waiting and waiting till i make my peace. :-)
                    > Chris
                    >
                    > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Clay" <cpatflgaz@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The bottom of that log must be settled in a hole in the sandstone. Seems like after many years of flooding it would have been was down by now. Any other theories as to how or why it still is leaning against the wall?
                    > >
                    > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Yes, that one. Loved your pictures!

                  • TomJones
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 18, 2010
                      It's there, Gary. It's subtle. might have to read this wonderful short story a couple of times to get it. Thank you to Chris for sharing that with us.

                      Tom

                      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Clay" <cpatflgaz@...> wrote:

                      > So where in that paragraph about getting hurt is the reason the log is still there?
                      >
                      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "chrisanla" <chrisanla@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Well if you guys must know why the log is still there, I can tell you the exact reason so you guys will not wonder anymore.
                      > > As we all know that log in that room is an iconic picture and every Southwest photographer and amateur photographer has taken that picture, Except me. You see i did try once few years ago, packed my backpack with my SLR camera, 2 of the best and heaviest lenses that i have, tons of memory cards, extra batteries, Tripod and some ND filters and boy was i ready. Halfway to the Hike, i was trying going around an obstacle and i slipped but i was able to grab a branch on the tree but unfortunately my body was a bit twisted and my back gave out. I could not move and stand str8. I found out afterwards that its the sciatoca nerve, What a Bitch! So i had to turn back cause it was hurting like hell and getting late and i could not move that fast and was even worried that i may not make it to my car b4 dark. Well i did get to my car around 7:30pm had to use the headlamp the last few hundred yards but i made it, and if that was not enough i got sick from drinking too much water and not having anything in my Stomach by the time i got to my car...well lets just say it was horrible. So u see, we have unfinished business me and that Log, it's waiting for me and it's not going anywhere. As for me, Oh Im going back allright, even if i have to crawl on my hands and Knees, im going and taking the freaking pics, so i can add to my portfolio as well. Until that time comes it will be there waiting and waiting till i make my peace. :-)
                      > > Chris

                    • Lawrence Brigham
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 18, 2010
                        Re: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Just wondering... Karma, it’s waiting until he returns<G>

                        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Zion_National_Park_Hiking%40yahoogroups.com> , "chrisanla" <chrisanla@...> wrote:

                        > Well if you guys must know why the log is still there, I can tell you the exact reason so you guys will not wonder anymore.
                        > As we all know that log in that room is an iconic picture and every Southwest photographer and amateur photographer has taken that picture, Except me. You see i did try once few years ago, packed my backpack with my SLR camera, 2 of the best and heaviest lenses that i have, tons of memory cards, extra batteries, Tripod and some ND filters and boy was i ready. Halfway to the Hike, i was trying going around an obstacle and i slipped but i was able to grab a branch on the tree but unfortunately my body was a bit twisted and my back gave out. I could not move and stand str8. I found out afterwards that its the sciatoca nerve, What a Bitch! So i had to turn back cause it was hurting like hell and getting late and i could not move that fast and was even worried that i may not make it to my car b4 dark. Well i did get to my car around 7:30pm had to use the headlamp the last few hundred yards but i made it, and if that was not enough i got sick from drinking too much water and not having anything in my Stomach by the time i got to my car...well lets just say it was horrible. So u see, we have unfinished business me and that Log, it's waiting for me and it's not going anywhere. As for me, Oh Im going back allright, even if i have to crawl on my hands and Knees, im going and taking the freaking pics, so i can add to my portfolio as well. Until that time comes it will be there waiting and waiting till i make my peace. :-)
                        > Chris
                        >
                        > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Zion_National_Park_Hiking%40yahoogroups.com> , "Clay" <cpatflgaz@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The bottom of that log must be settled in a hole in the sandstone. Seems like after many years of flooding it would have been was down by now. Any other theories as to how or why it still is leaning against the wall?

                        <snip>
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 18, 2010
                          Chris - Thanks for sharing, I feel your pain! So you hiked back up Russell Gulch with a bad back? I can't even imagine; I threw my back out two years ago to the point where I couldn't even sit up without the help of serious pain meds. Hiking up Russell is hard enough when you're feeling good. :)

                          Well I commend you for making it out and I wish you the best to get at that unfinished business! Go get that log!!!

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 18, 2010
                            Logical positivism!

                            > Chris - Thanks for sharing, I feel your pain! So you hiked back up Russell Gulch with a bad back? I can't even imagine; I threw my back out two years ago to the point where I couldn't even sit up without the help of serious pain meds. Hiking up Russell is hard enough when you're feeling good. :)
                            >
                            > Well I commend you for making it out and I wish you the best to get at that unfinished business! Go get that log!!!
                            >
                            > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "chrisanla" <chrisanla@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Well if you guys must know why the log is still there, I can tell you the exact reason so you guys will not wonder anymore.
                            > > As we all know that log in that room is an iconic picture and every Southwest photographer and amateur photographer has taken that picture, Except me. You see i did try once few years ago, packed my backpack with my SLR camera, 2 of the best and heaviest lenses that i have, tons of memory cards, extra batteries, Tripod and some ND filters and boy was i ready. Halfway to the Hike, i was trying going around an obstacle and i slipped but i was able to grab a branch on the tree but unfortunately my body was a bit twisted and my back gave out. I could not move and stand str8. I found out afterwards that its the sciatoca nerve, What a Bitch! So i had to turn back cause it was hurting like hell and getting late and i could not move that fast and was even worried that i may not make it to my car b4 dark. Well i did get to my car around 7:30pm had to use the headlamp the last few hundred yards but i made it, and if that was not enough i got sick from drinking too much water and not having anything in my Stomach by the time i got to my car...well lets just say it was horrible. So u see, we have unfinished business me and that Log, it's waiting for me and it's not going anywhere. As for me, Oh Im going back allright, even if i have to crawl on my hands and Knees, im going and taking the freaking pics, so i can add to my portfolio as well. Until that time comes it will be there waiting and waiting till i make my peace. :-)
                            > > Chris

                          • Clay
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 18, 2010
                              So the log is stuck there waiting for Chris to return to photograph it? Maybe he/she can make it wait till after April 2012 for me to come back too. :)

                              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "TomJones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:

                              > It's there, Gary. It's subtle. might have to read this wonderful short story a couple of times to get it. Thank you to Chris for sharing that with us.
                              >
                              > Tom
                              >

                              > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Clay" <cpatflgaz@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > So where in that paragraph about getting hurt is the reason the log is still there?
                              > >
                              > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "chrisanla" <chrisanla@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Well if you guys must know why the log is still there, I can tell you the exact reason so you guys will not wonder anymore.
                              > > > As we all know that log in that room is an iconic picture and every Southwest photographer and amateur photographer has taken that picture, Except me. You see i did try once few years ago, packed my backpack with my SLR camera, 2 of the best and heaviest lenses that i have, tons of memory cards, extra batteries, Tripod and some ND filters and boy was i ready. Halfway to the Hike, i was trying going around an obstacle and i slipped but i was able to grab a branch on the tree but unfortunately my body was a bit twisted and my back gave out. I could not move and stand str8. I found out afterwards that its the sciatoca nerve, What a Bitch! So i had to turn back cause it was hurting like hell and getting late and i could not move that fast and was even worried that i may not make it to my car b4 dark. Well i did get to my car around 7:30pm had to use the headlamp the last few hundred yards but i made it, and if that was not enough i got sick from drinking too much water and not having anything in my Stomach by the time i got to my car...well lets just say it was horrible. So u see, we have unfinished business me and that Log, it's waiting for me and it's not going anywhere. As for me, Oh Im going back allright, even if i have to crawl on my hands and Knees, im going and taking the freaking pics, so i can add to my portfolio as well. Until that time comes it will be there waiting and waiting till i make my peace. :-)
                              > > > Chris

                            • chrisanla
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 18, 2010
                                There u go Clay, I (male) will see what i can do, but i cannot promise u anything, cause this is something between me and the log. :-)

                                sorry for letting u think that i actually had a real reason why the log is still there, i just wanted to share my bad experience hiking the subway with a bit of humor to it.
                                And thanks to Tom for trying to explain to you Clay my intention,

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 18, 2010
                                  Yes, think of it as poetic reasoning. :)

                                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Clay" <cpatflgaz@...> wrote:

                                  > So the log is stuck there waiting for Chris to return to photograph it? Maybe he/she can make it wait till after April 2012 for me to come back too. :)
                                  >
                                  > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "TomJones" <ratagonia@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > It's there, Gary. It's subtle. might have to read this wonderful short story a couple of times to get it. Thank you to Chris for sharing that with us.
                                  > >
                                  > > Tom
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Clay" <cpatflgaz@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > So where in that paragraph about getting hurt is the reason the log is still there?

                                • chrisanla
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 18, 2010
                                    No Problem Joe, I was actually going to include u in my little story but i thought u may want to be left out. I remember a while back when u revisited the Subway and had taken some more pictures to add to ur collection, you mentioned that u took some more pictures of the popular log, the one that every photographer and their Mom has taken pictures of. So i was going to mention that. :)
                                    The hike back up, was the worst ever, i honestly thought i will not be able to make it back up and have to stay there overnite, but just kept on pushing, remembering the movie "Touching the Void" hehehe.
                                    it wasn't fun at all, i was totally dehydrated on top of the pain. Now all i do is make jokes and laugh about it, but in a way i know to better prepare myself for the next trip.
                                    Chris

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 18, 2010
                                      Oh, and could you ask the log next time you do see it to bring everyone home from foriegn wars back to their families for the Holidays?

                                      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "chrisanla" <chrisanla@...> wrote:

                                      > There u go Clay, I (male) will see what i can do, but i cannot promise u anything, cause this is something between me and the log. :-)
                                      >
                                      > sorry for letting u think that i actually had a real reason why the log is still there, i just wanted to share my bad experience hiking the subway with a bit of humor to it.
                                      > And thanks to Tom for trying to explain to you Clay my intention,
                                      > Chris
                                      >
                                      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Clay" <cpatflgaz@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > So the log is stuck there waiting for Chris to return to photograph it? Maybe he/she can make it wait till after April 2012 for me to come back too. :)
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "TomJones" <ratagonia@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > It's there, Gary. It's subtle. might have to read this wonderful short story a couple of times to get it. Thank you to Chris for sharing that with us.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Tom

                                    • Clay
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 18, 2010
                                        Was just thinking, could it possibly be that old pine tree just be fallen over from inside the Subway? I mean maybe it was growing in the spot where the lower end is "stuck" and its stuck because the tree's roots have been entwined in the sandstone beneath the surface?

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 18, 2010
                                          Cute, Chris. I've had a few places like that in my life too.

                                          Many years ago I finally got to shoot the oft-shot spiral petro just west of Tucson in Suguaro (now) NP. Signal Hill? Short walk from the car, no epic hike. As I was returning some folks asked from their car if it was "worth the walk". I explained that for someone who'd been waiting 5 years to see it, definitely :)

                                          You'll get back I think!
                                        • TDLphoto.com
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 22, 2010
                                            more importantly, has anyone been up to check on the log to see if it is still there....?

                                            kidding of course, but this should be a true test to see if it stayed or not.

                                            i lived in St. George during the 2005 flooding and that was impressive, but i've heard from friends back there that the rain has been more heavy and quick than it was then.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 22, 2010
                                              The position of the log is advantageous to it staying there for a very long time. We have seen larger logs get moved around by floods, but they are usually lying down (more) and in a narrow part of a canyon, so that the water would come up higher - high enough to float them in flood.

                                              The Subway log being vertical would take a ginormous flood to float it. The canyon is somewhat wide there, so the water getting up 30-40-50 feet is not something that happens real often. It obviously is physically stable, and since the water has just turned a corner to get there, it does not provide enough force to push the bottom of the log out.

                                              The log is a Ponderosa Pine, and in that climate, even with one end usually in water, it deteriorates only very slowly. So it is likely to be there for quite a while, yet. Though, of course, I may have just jinxed it.

                                              Remember what that famous SW Utah Pioneer Tip O'Neil said: all flooding is local. Enormous rains in the area, and we suspect they flooded through there pretty good, but... you never know.

                                              I am in California visiting family, and thankfully Tim checked in on my place and everything seems to be tidy. I am sorry to have missed the big flood of 2010, sorta...