Re: crawford arch

  • tanya
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 10, 2010
      Nice!  I love that hike!

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jeff" <jb838@...> wrote:

      > quite a trip report here:
      >
      > http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?41237-CRAWFORD-ARCH-HIKE
      >
      > and some background here:
      >
      > http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?40202-looking-for-a-friend-to-do-the-bridge-mountain-arch-hike-in-zion

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 10, 2010
        I've got good memories of that hike too. That was a good writeup too with much personal reason for setting out on his quest. Interesting to rap down the east-west canyon rather than doing the skirt around to the bottom. That adds a little spice to things. :)

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "tanya" <thunderbirdmail@...> wrote:

        > Nice! I love that hike!
        >

        > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jeff" <jb838@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > quite a trip report here:
        > >
        > > http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?41237-CRAWFORD-ARCH-HIKE
        > >
        > > and some background here:
        > >

        > http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?40202-looking-for-a-friend-to\
        > -do-the-bridge-mountain-arch-hike-in-zion

      • Shaun
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 10, 2010
          I made a navigational error. I went too low looking for the skirt around but was happy to find an "anchor" since we had a rope rather than hike back up and all the way around.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 10, 2010
            Shhh... don't admit that to anybody! :) I thought it was a pretty cool variation!

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 10, 2010
              Those alternate adventures are always the best!  Except the one where Bo and I had to keep wading through frozen water.  Dang that HURT~!!!!

              > Shhh... don't admit that to anybody! :) I thought it was a pretty cool variation!
              >
              > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Shaun" trackrunner83@ wrote:
              > >
              > > I made a navigational error. I went too low looking for the skirt around but was happy to find an "anchor" since we had a rope rather than hike back up and all the way around.

            • RAM
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 10, 2010
                Reading the story, I note that you led the chimney. Howe did you find it? Long legs help, but its not trivial period. Nice work Shaun!

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 10, 2010
                  It was sandy. I climbed up and tried to brush off as much sand as I could for the first few moves. Sure got my palms nice and sweaty but I brought chalk and liberally applied before the climb. The first move is the hardest IMO. I took a long time to make sure my hold and balance was secure before progressing to the next hold.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 10, 2010
                    Nice Shaun =D>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 11, 2010
                      Shaun - Do you remember if you climbed straight up the wall or did you work your way into the crack? When we went several years back, Bo led us right up the wall, but when Cliff came up, he disappeared into the crack and before we knew it, he was above us waiting. Whenever I do this hike again, I want to scope out the climb a bit more carefully.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 11, 2010
                        I climbed into and up the crack. I kept using foot jams, hand jams, even a knee jam. A bit overkill but since I free soloing I wanted confidence I was secure. I followed the crack as shown in this picture stolen from Tanya's album.
                        http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/pages/chimney-b_jpg.htm

                        I kept following the crack up instead of going straight up the cliff wall as Bo does in this picture.
                        http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/pages/chimney-c_jpg.htm

                        This did put me above the bush where you normally climb/rappel to. Following the crack was more secure and less exposure, which I was grateful for leading. It does get tight at the top and I had to wiggle my shoulders and torso to get out on top. I belayed all others up the way Bo went.