West Rim Trail -- photos

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2010
      Well I hope people aren't too sick of me posting photos... I had a large collection of shots that I took from hiking the West Rim Trail over the past two years and I finally got the chance to sort through them all and post the better ones. The new collection is here:

      http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/westrimtrailpix.cfm

      This is definitely one of my favorite repeat hikes in Zion (although, I think I say that about every hike) and it's great for a long day hike or a leisurely backpacking adventure. :) -Joe
    • Jeff Schaber
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 29, 2010
        Haven't looked at the photo's yet Joe but the West Rim Trial is one of my top 2 all time hikes. I did it almost 10 years ago starting from Lava Point and I still pop the CD in from time to time to watch my slide show of pictures.

        I'll have to check yours out tonight to reminisce. We'll be at Zion in 3 weeks and I couldn't talk any of my friends into doing that hike again but this time I'll finally get to do some of the slots I've missed all the other times.

        I remember standing on the Rim in awe over how majestic the scenery was on that trail.

        Jeff

        --
        Jeff Schaber
        ------------------

        Be who you are, say what you feel.
        Because those that mind don't matter
        and those that matter don't mind!

        ~Dr. Seuss~
      • tanya
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 29, 2010

          Your famous now!  You can post anything and we will love it.  :*  But we know you will keep up your usual incredible standards.

          Nice stuff!

          > Well I hope people aren't too sick of me posting photos... I had a large collection of shots that I took from hiking the West Rim Trail over the past two years and I finally got the chance to sort through them all and post the better ones. The new collection is here:
          >
          > http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/westrimtrailpix.cfm
          >
          > This is definitely one of my favorite repeat hikes in Zion (although, I think I say that about every hike) and it's great for a long day hike or a leisurely backpacking adventure. :) -Joe

        • mcooprec
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 29, 2010
            Without a doubt, this is some of the most amazing photography I've ever seen! Joe, your photos blow my mind!

            Major props,
            Michael

            > Well I hope people aren't too sick of me posting photos... I had a large collection of shots that I took from hiking the West Rim Trail over the past two years and I finally got the chance to sort through them all and post the better ones. The new collection is here:
            >
            > http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/westrimtrailpix.cfm
            >
            > This is definitely one of my favorite repeat hikes in Zion (although, I think I say that about every hike) and it's great for a long day hike or a leisurely backpacking adventure. :) -Joe

          • Heather Long
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
              Great photos as usual Joe! Thanks for sharing. I felt like I was hiking the trail all over again.
              Did you do that trail in the Fall?

              ------------------------
              Heather Long
              Designer | Founder
              Simply Designed
              Invitations & Stationery Design
              www.sdinvites.com

              Follow us on our blog!
              http://sdinvites.com/wordpress/

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
                Thanks, you guys are too kind. @Heather: Yes, the majority of these photos are from a mid-October hike. Wonderful temps and colors beneath the White Cliffs, but I was rather shocked at how lifeless the upper plateau and Potato Hollow looked; it was a sea of brown and gray, quite depressing compared to the mid-summer green that I'm used to.

                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Heather Long <halong551@...> wrote:

                > Great photos as usual Joe! Thanks for sharing. I felt like I was hiking the
                > trail all over again.
                > Did you do that trail in the Fall?
                > ------------------------
                > Heather Long
                > Designer | Founder
                > Simply Designed
                > Invitations & Stationery Design
                > www.sdinvites.com
                >
                > Follow us on our blog!
                > http://sdinvites.com/wordpress/
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Jeff Schaber
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
                  Joe,

                  When I did that hike in 1997 it was the same way, charred and lifeless. It did lend an eerie feeling to the hike and I wish I would have taken more photos of it. I looked at my photos again last night and remember thinking to myself at the time "I wonder what the name of that peak is?" Or "What's down that slot canyon" Thanks for putting names on the features I've been wondering about for so long.

                  Jeff

                  --
                  Jeff Schaber

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
                    Joe, who could get tired of your great photos? Though I will admit to having shot about 1000 myself this week:)