Re: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Please critique my website :)

  • Jeff Schaber
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 6, 2010
      I must be the odd man out! I have been using your old site for many months planning my trip next month and I found it to be a great site but only lacking a site map.  I like the way the text on the old site stand out better than the plain black on white and I think the new front page is a bit busy. I like seeing the colors of the geography as background for the page like the old site had it, made me feel like I was looking at a Zion page rather than a newspaper.

      The drop down menu on the page isn't in alphabetical order (or separated into groupings) so it's difficult to find things quickly.

      Forgive my harsh critique but I like the older style better. Maybe I just got used to seeing it that way and navigating through it.

      Jeff

      W Reid White wrote:

      Howdy Tanya,

         I, too, find your site an invaluable resource (especially now, as I’m considering final plans for my August & September trip)!  I really like the new look.  Not only is it easier to take in the whole page comfortably; but the colors, fonts and graphics give it a much more current look.  Zion-national- park in the url also seems, for whatever reason, more friendly and intuitive.

         Happy Trails,

         Reid

      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 6, 2010
        The site map is at the bottom. Not the greatest though. The
        information will not change. It was my first website I ever made and
        was done by trial and error. It needs a face lift. That was my idea
        when I made that site, to make it personal, rather that look like an
        average template. Hmmm.... alphabetical is a good idea! I put it in
        whatever order I have in my whacky brain. lol

        Jeff, I want a harsh critique! That is the idea. I am not looking for
        Kudos, but what I should fix before I replace this whole site with this
        look. Its going to be a lot of work. Its a huge site!

        Thank you so much for your input!

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Schaber
        <jeffschaber@...> wrote:

        > I must be the odd man out! I have been using your old site for many
        > months planning my trip next month and I found it to be a great site
        but
        > only lacking a site map. I like the way the text on the old site
        stand
        > out better than the plain black on white and I think the new front
        page
        > is a bit busy. I like seeing the colors of the geography as background
        > for the page like the old site had it, made me feel like I was looking
        > at a Zion page rather than a newspaper.
        >
        > The drop down menu on the page isn't in alphabetical order (or
        separated
        > into groupings) so it's difficult to find things quickly.
        >
        > Forgive my harsh critique but I like the older style better. Maybe I
        > just got used to seeing it that way and navigating through it.
        >
        > Jeff
        >

        > W Reid White wrote:
        > >

        > > Howdy Tanya,
        > >

        > > I, too, find your site an invaluable resource (especially now, as
        > > I'm considering final plans for my August & September trip)! I
        really
        > > like the new look. Not only is it easier to take in the whole page
        > > comfortably; but the colors, fonts and graphics give it a much more
        > > current look. Zion-national-park in the url also seems, for
        whatever
        > > reason, more friendly and intuitive.
        > >

        > > Happy Trails,
        > >
        > > Reid

      • Clay
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 6, 2010
          So are back at the thunderbird this summer?

          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 6, 2010
            Back hanging with my kids. Not back at the Thunderbird, though.

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Clay" <cpatflgaz@...>
            wrote:

            > So are back at the thunderbird this summer?
            >
            > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "tanya"
            thunderbirdmail@ wrote:

            > > The site map is at the bottom. Not the greatest though. The
            > > information will not change. It was my first website I ever made
            and
            > > was done by trial and error. It needs a face lift. That was my
            idea
            > > when I made that site, to make it personal, rather that look like an
            > > average template. Hmmm.... alphabetical is a good idea! I put it
            in
            > > whatever order I have in my whacky brain. lol
            > >
            > > Jeff, I want a harsh critique! That is the idea. I am not looking
            for
            > > Kudos, but what I should fix before I replace this whole site with
            this
            > > look. Its going to be a lot of work. Its a huge site!
            > >
            > > Thank you so much for your input!
            > >

            > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Schaber
            > > <jeffschaber@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I must be the odd man out! I have been using your old site for
            many
            > > > months planning my trip next month and I found it to be a great
            site
            > > but
            > > > only lacking a site map. I like the way the text on the old site
            > > stand
            > > > out better than the plain black on white and I think the new front
            > > page
            > > > is a bit busy. I like seeing the colors of the geography as
            background
            > > > for the page like the old site had it, made me feel like I was
            looking
            > > > at a Zion page rather than a newspaper.
            > > >
            > > > The drop down menu on the page isn't in alphabetical order (or
            > > separated
            > > > into groupings) so it's difficult to find things quickly.
            > > >
            > > > Forgive my harsh critique but I like the older style better. Maybe
            > > > just got used to seeing it that way and navigating through it.
            > > >
            > > > Jeff

            > > really
            > > whatever

          • Bernell Warner
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 7, 2010
              Tanya;
              I am one of the few who have not used your website.  Looking at the first page for just a few minutes, have found many exciting new places to go.  I love the picture of Orderville Canyon.  Thanks for your time and talents in making this page available for us.

              Bernell

              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 7, 2010
                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Bernell Warner

                http://www. zionnational- park.com old look

                > I am giving my website a face lift.
                >
                > Please critique. I want to catch all the problems before I make it
                live. I
                > started working on this a couple of years ago, then dropped it. I have
                time to
                > work on it again right now.

              • Cliff
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 7, 2010
                  I agree with Jeff about the color scheme. I haven't had the time to really check out the rest, but it looks good so far.
                  It's good to see you around again!
                  Cliff

                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "tanya" <thunderbirdmail@...> wrote:

                  > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Bernell Warner
                  > <frogjump53@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Tanya;
                  > > I am one of the few who have not used your website. Looking at
                  > the first page
                  > > for just a few minutes, have found many exciting new places to
                  > go. I love the
                  > > picture of Orderville Canyon. Thanks for your time and talents in
                  > making this
                  > > page available for us.
                  > > Bernell
                  >
                  > http://www.zion-national-park.org/ New Look
                  > >
                  > http://www. zionnational- park.com old look
                  > >
                  > > I am giving my website a face lift.
                  > >
                  > > Please critique. I want to catch all the problems before I make it
                  > live. I
                  > > started working on this a couple of years ago, then dropped it. I have
                  > time to
                  > > work on it again right now.

                • tanya
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 7, 2010
                    Thanks Cliff! It's come a long way since those first albums around the
                    time you took me through Fat Man's

                    ..long.. long ... long ago!

                    Tiny photos in the albums - album 14

                    http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/index14.htm

                    Newer albums
                    http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/index30.htm

                    Even at this, these albums need some updating

                    --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff" <kol84b@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I agree with Jeff about the color scheme. I haven't had the time to
                    really check out the rest, but it looks good so far.
                    > It's good to see you around again!
                    > Cliff
                    >

                    > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "tanya"
                    thunderbirdmail@ wrote:

                    > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Bernell Warner
                    > > <frogjump53@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Tanya;
                    > > > I am one of the few who have not used your website. Looking
                    at
                    > > the first page
                    > > > for just a few minutes, have found many exciting new places to
                    > > go. I love the
                    > > > picture of Orderville Canyon. Thanks for your time and
                    talents in
                    > > making this
                    > > > page available for us.
                    > > > Bernell
                    > >
                    > > http://www.zion-national-park.org/ New Look
                    > > >
                    > > http://www. zionnational- park.com old look
                    > > >
                    > > > I am giving my website a face lift.
                    > > >
                    > > > Please critique. I want to catch all the problems before I make it
                    > > live. I
                    > > > started working on this a couple of years ago, then dropped it. I
                    have
                    > > time to
                    > > > work on it again right now.

                  • chrisanla
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 7, 2010
                      Well Tanya, I want to say that I luv ur website and have used it many times for research on places to hike in Zion and surrounding areas, but i always felt that it needed a face lift. You asked to give harsh critique and here is my opinion.
                      the new look is more up to date with the new trend as far as color schemes go, lighter colors and not too cheesy with strong colors. However, the Logo is totally lost, needs to be bigger and either bolder or a different color to stand out. The new Cover page is way too busy with links, You scroll anywhere on the page and there is a link that takes u someplace. Too much for a cover page. But most importantly its a bit dull for the type of website this is. It's missing something. Its definitely not saying fun. its missing something.

                      Chris from L.A.

                      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "tanya" <thunderbirdmail@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Cliff! It's come a long way since those first albums around the
                      > time you took me through Fat Man's
                      >
                      > ..long.. long ... long ago!
                      >
                      > Tiny photos in the albums - album 14
                      >
                      > http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/index14.htm
                      >
                      > Newer albums
                      > http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/index30.htm
                      >
                      > Even at this, these albums need some updating
                      >

                      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff" <kol84b@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I agree with Jeff about the color scheme. I haven't had the time to
                      > really check out the rest, but it looks good so far.
                      > > It's good to see you around again!
                      > > Cliff
                      > >

                      > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "tanya"
                      > thunderbirdmail@ wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Bernell Warner

                      > at
                      > > > the first page
                      > > > go. I love the
                      > talents in
                      > > > making this
                      > > >
                      > > > http://www.zion-national-park.org/ New Look
                      > > > >
                      > > > http://www. zionnational- park.com old look

                      > > > live. I
                      > have
                      > > > time to

                    • Cliff
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 8, 2010
                        Wow, those pictures really do take me back a long time, before the Grand Canyon group was split off from this site.
                        I could never understand how people had enough time to post dozens of comments each day, but I enjoyed reading them and even contributing once in a while.
                        Cliff

                        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "tanya" <thunderbirdmail@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks Cliff! It's come a long way since those first albums around the
                        > time you took me through Fat Man's
                        >
                        > ..long.. long ... long ago!
                        >
                        > Tiny photos in the albums - album 14
                        >
                        > http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/index14.htm
                        >
                        > Newer albums
                        > http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/index30.htm
                        >
                        > Even at this, these albums need some updating
                        >

                        > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff" <kol84b@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I agree with Jeff about the color scheme. I haven't had the time to
                        > really check out the rest, but it looks good so far.
                        > > It's good to see you around again!
                        > > Cliff
                        > >

                        > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "tanya"
                        > thunderbirdmail@ wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Bernell Warner

                        > at
                        > > > the first page
                        > > > go. I love the
                        > talents in
                        > > > making this
                        > > >
                        > > > http://www.zion-national-park.org/ New Look
                        > > > >
                        > > > http://www. zionnational- park.com old look

                        > > > live. I
                        > have
                        > > > time to

                      • tanya
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 8, 2010
                          Thanks Chris!

                          Fun is a good idea!

                          Big pictures are what most have in mind, but google has issues with it.  Would love an idea to work with google and still have that front page fun look!

                          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "chrisanla" <chrisanla@...> wrote:

                          > Well Tanya, I want to say that I luv ur website and have used it many times for research on places to hike in Zion and surrounding areas, but i always felt that it needed a face lift. You asked to give harsh critique and here is my opinion.
                          > the new look is more up to date with the new trend as far as color schemes go, lighter colors and not too cheesy with strong colors. However, the Logo is totally lost, needs to be bigger and either bolder or a different color to stand out. The new Cover page is way too busy with links, You scroll anywhere on the page and there is a link that takes u someplace. Too much for a cover page. But most importantly its a bit dull for the type of website this is. It's missing something. Its definitely not saying fun. its missing something.
                          >
                          > Chris from L.A.
                          >
                          > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "tanya" thunderbirdmail@ wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Thanks Cliff! It's come a long way since those first albums around the
                          > > time you took me through Fat Man's
                          > >
                          > > ..long.. long ... long ago!
                          > >
                          > > Tiny photos in the albums - album 14
                          > >
                          > > http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/index14.htm
                          > >
                          > > Newer albums
                          > > http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/index30.htm
                          > >
                          > > Even at this, these albums need some updating
                          > >

                          > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff" <kol84b@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I agree with Jeff about the color scheme. I haven't had the time to
                          > > really check out the rest, but it looks good so far.
                          > > > It's good to see you around again!
                          > > > Cliff
                          > > >

                          > > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "tanya"

                          > > at
                          > > talents in

                          > > have

                        • tanya
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 8, 2010
                            I use to work at a desk all day on my computer so it was a break from work, which is how I assume most can do it.  I am almost back at that desk again!  Not quite... but almost!

                            That was a fun trip.  I could not walk for 2 days.  It was my intro to canyoneering. lol

                          • tanya
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 8, 2010

                              Summary of everyone from everywhere I posted.....

                              1.  Too busy:  excell text, pictures too small or not enough of them, no basic Zion introduction (like starting in Chapter 8 assuming everyone knows Zion).  Suggest limiting text, tabs and links.  Too many links or/and links and some buttons identical.

                              2.  Lacking the fun element - its boring.  Hmmm.. .what to do here!?!?!  Help!

                              3.  Increase contrast: text size, darker color, say the men, keep it the same say the females.  Define the east side entrance as just one entrance.

                              4.  Loose the slimy snail (even though its the infamous Zion snail)

                              5.  The logo is lost - make is stand out say all the men and one female.  Other females like it.

                               Would love suggestions on how to make it fun.  Will work on the rest while balancing keeping it ranked.

                            • Heather Long
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 8, 2010
                                Hi Tanya,

                                I'm a little late to the game, but here are my two cents as a designer. Let me start off by saying that we love your site, and the information that it holds. We have been using it for about 7 years now, for planning all of our trips out to Zion and surrounding areas.

                                Okay, so here we go. Overall the site feels more feminine, the colors are softer and the type smaller, this might be why you are appealing to the female demographic more then the male. I would go with a stronger color palette, more along the lines for the rusts, oranges, golds, maybe a little bit of slate blue as a highlight color, keep it very earthy, the colors that are being used now loose that Zion feel. It seems like a typical cookie-cutter website, something that you would have downloaded from a CSS template site (which is fine to get started with, but it is always great to update the original code). I would move the photo to the top of the page and make it larger and add a few meta tags and description to it so it is searchable with google. I would actually take up the top third of the page with rotating photos. This will give the site a little bit more of a punch, and make viewers sit on your site longer, especially those who have never been there. You have great photos, use them! I would move away from the lighter gray type, maybe a darker color, it will punch more and give those of us with older eyes a better chance of reading longer. Here is a color palette I would suggest: Rust (711D06), Gold/Orange (DB8B0D), Cream ( ECE0CD), Brown (271A09), Blue (42566F), Just a suggestion.

                                The type is hard to read, maybe open up the leading a little bit. You can do this with a CSS script. There is a lot of type, and the eye needs a chance to settle on something and breath. I find my eyes wandering all over, but no real resting place. You might be able to create this by using larger photos to break it up, make headings slightly larger, and by adding a little bit more color to the page.

                                The logo needs a little work, it gets lost on the page. I love that you have incorporated the Zion snail, but I think the concept will get lost on many first time viewers. Unless you add a fun little link off the snail that explains the reasoning. The hand written font that is being used is hard to read, and on certain monitors it will disappear all together. (If you need help with a logo let me, I would love to donate some of my time to help out!) It needs to be punchier, and be a quick read at the top of the page. The buttons.... hard to read as well. That font isn't the easiest on the readers eyes. If you are looking for that hand written feel there are many great fonts out there, that are more legible and easier on the eyes. And the dark gray in your gradient is fighting with the color of the typeface.

                                Navigation. All your links seem to be working fine on this end. There is just A LOT of content, but that is what makes your site so amazing. I have been trying to think of a better way for you to organize it, but without really knowing everything you have on here, it is a little hard. I would definitely alpha order everything. Maybe drop-down menus would be a good way to go for you. The navigation on the right is interesting, but just keep in mind that most monitors will only display 960 pixels across at max, and some of the navigation might get lost, especially with new technology (iPhone, iPad, for us Mac users). Hyper-links are good (actually they are great for google), but you might want to figure out a way to call them out a little bit more, maybe with color and bolding the type.

                                Okay, one more little thing. I think you should add an about us page. You do so much work on this site, and you should be very proud of all the content that you have collected, I think most viewers would want to "meet" you, and I would also add a contact us section, whether it be a generic form or just a page that has a e-mail link, some way that people can contact you to say hi, thank you, or share stories. You have a GREAT resource here!

                                I hope this helps, please take this with a grain of salt.

                                Good luck!
                                Heather

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 8, 2010
                                  Hi Heather! Beter late than never!

                                  Thank you for the compliment!

                                  Yeah, I am female so its hard to SEE the MALE side of things (not just
                                  the website, but most things lol)

                                  Oh my... you are good. I will work on (ALL) this!!!!!

                                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Heather Long
                                  <halong551@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  > Hyper-links are good (actually they are great for google), but you
                                  might want to
                                  > figure out a way to call them out a little bit more, maybe with color
                                  and
                                  > bolding the type.
                                  >
                                  > Okay, one more little thing. I think you should add an about us page.
                                  You do so
                                  > much work on this site, and you should be very proud of all the
                                  content that you
                                  > have collected, I think most viewers would want to "meet" you, and I
                                  would also
                                  > add a contact us section, whether it be a generic form or just a page
                                  that has a
                                  > e-mail link, some way that people can contact you to say hi, thank
                                  you, or share
                                  > stories. You have a GREAT resource here!
                                  >
                                  > I hope this helps, please take this with a grain of salt.

                                • Heather Long
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 8, 2010
                                    No Problem Tanya, it is the least I could do to help out, seeing that we have been using your site for so long.

                                    I understand about the male side of things, I will NEVER understand ;) . I'm always told my designs are too feminine... go figure.

                                    Hope you are enjoying your summer, and please feel free to contact me offline (heather@...) if you need help with anything!

                                    Best,
                                    Heather

                                    <halong551@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > Hyper-links are good (actually they are great for google), but you
                                    might want to
                                    > figure out a way to call them out a little bit more, maybe with color
                                    and
                                    > bolding the type.
                                    >
                                    > Okay, one more little thing. I think you should add an about us page.
                                    You do so
                                    > much work on this site, and you should be very proud of all the
                                    content that you
                                    > have collected, I think most viewers would want to "meet" you, and I
                                    would also
                                    > add a contact us section, whether it be a generic form or just a page
                                    that has a
                                    > e-mail link, some way that people can contact you to say hi, thank
                                    you, or share
                                    > stories. You have a GREAT resource here!
                                    >
                                    > I hope this helps, please take this with a grain of salt.

                                  • tanya
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 8, 2010
                                      Would love help with the logo. Hit refresh. The buttons are gone.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 9, 2010

                                        Not quite done yet.  Love Heathers Logo!  That is just a rough copy she sent me to choose from on there onw.

                                        Hit Refresh....  let me know what you think.