Re: Pictures- May 2004

  • RAM
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 30, 2010
      When you hike out to the end of the trail, a lava rock point with the 3 peaks surrounding you, the north flank of West Northgate is visible to the right. Look over the slopes for the obvious weaknesses that head up the peak from slightly west of the middle of the north side. Scramble down from the lava rocks, then over a few hundred yards and start up with a ton of route latitude at this point. Half way up, it is a little steeper across the face. Slightly left of a hump of the northwest ridge, on the north face is the easiest spot. 15 feet of easy class 4 is the only spot that is harder than easy class 3 and 2. The summit is a stroll upward from there. Note the spot for the return.
      Easier passage may exist near here if one were to poke about. If one doesn't like the 15 feet, one can retreat safely. Go up and touch that which you won't do. In doing that, the easiest way usually reveals itself.
      Ram

      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 1, 2010
        Thanks RAM, nice!

        At the moment I'm thinking of doing the west peak first, while its cooler, and see if we can summit, which would be fun and hopefully within our ability.

        Then we can go over to the east peak and take advantage of shady spots on the way up.

        Sounds nice.
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 1, 2010
          > Joe, which route do you and your wife do, and how did she find it (not that your wife and mine are the same, I've never met yours, but both are probably a tad more cautious than you and I :)

          Ram probably said it all. You'll get a great view of your targets when standing at the end of the Northgate Peaks trail.

          My wife's opinion on East NGP: Looked intimidating from the bottom, but there's practically a trail up to the top; was anticipating a scary section that never came. We were on the top before we realized it.

          For our route up West NGP, we simply started at the base of the north side and following our noses up the path of least resistance. It was pretty easy to find our way up and down without doing much thinking, but we marked the spot where we reached the top for our return back down.

          My wife's opinion on West NGP: Looking at it from the Northgate Peaks Trail was very intimidating, but she was willing to give it a go (especially after making it to the top of East). Standing at the northern base was actually less intimidating, because it was easy to see the way. 2/3rds of the way up, she started to reach her threshold, but a little reassuring and me giving her a run of webbing to hold onto got her to the top. This wasn't really climbing; it was more like baby-crawling. No special moves required, just staying close to the rock. -Joe
        • matt_andersao
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 2, 2010
            In the Cave Valley area there are some cool little climbs plus you can see the pictographs.

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mojave_ben" <mojave_ben@...> wrote:

            > RAM, I love to see your kid growing up through these pix! Now a comment and a question.
            >
            > Stance in a thunderstorm. When the peak is hit, the current will travel down the surface of the rock - the rock itself conducts poorly, but the surface is wet. Your goal is to avoid touching the surface so there will be significant electric potential between points of contact. Ideally, sit on your pack. Huddle so your feet are as close to your butt as possible, and just hunker down to keep dry if possible. You'll also be presenting a low vertical profile, helped if you are near some taller trees. But better not to be below them, on slickrock or granite, as the charge from a strike to the trees still needs to travel downhill. (if in a cave or overhang, keep a similar posture, don't lean back against the wall, that's what killed the kids on Half Dome).
            >
            > Now back to Zion. I'm trying to figure out a good family peak or two for a July morning in the Kolob. NGA is tempting but probably just a bit out of our league, lets be realistic (at least on our own). I'm looking at East Northgate, "Windy Peak", Cave Knoll, (Firepit too, would like to see the crater). Class 3 with some 4 (simple game trail route also fine), route finding pretty good, Any ideas? Let's assume late July, on trail by 7 AM, not super fast travel, views preferred, want to finish any ascents by noon (too hot) but prefer to be out till 2 at least. There's probably a nice combination of things. Or East Northgate and then over to some nice West Rim view (I don't want to be anywhere near the rim in thunder!)

          • matt_andersao
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 3, 2010
              Here are some photos of Cave Valley (petroglyphs and from the top of Zion). Obviously climbing to the top of the sandstone at Cave Valley isnt the same as summitting some of the peaks you all are mentioning but you still do get an amazing view from the top!

              http://mattsamazingsouthernutah.blogspot.com/2008/11/cave-valley-pictographs.html

              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 4, 2010
                Cave Valley - very nice :) I love it up there. A bit cooler too.

                How far from the car to the caves / glyphs? Any shade along the way or once you get there?

                thanks!
              • matt_andersao
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 4, 2010
                  3/4 a mile to the cave with the glyphs +-... No shade until you get to the cave but the cave is typically nice. Getting on top you just find your own route up. Ive been up there a couple times therefore down a couple times and never used the same route going up or down.