Re: Primitive campsites between Virgin and Springdale?

  • RAM
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2010
      South side of the road. Unofficial site. Pretty obvious to see in daylight. Theft has been an issue at times.

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mcooprec" <coopermb@...> wrote:

      > On which side of the highway? Is it signed or unofficial?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Michael
      >

      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:
      > >
      > > It is west of Rockville. Is it around mile marker 25 or so? It supposedly is closed, but I have saw people there last year.
      > >
      > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, kkrtrek <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Michael,
      > > >
      > > > There is a primitive BLM campground off Highway 9 between Virgin and Springdale named Mosquito Cove. It is free, has no facilities, and sandy. I think it is about 7-8 miles from Springdale, but some of the local folk can probably give you better directions.
      > > >
      > > > Looking forward to your trip report.
      > > >
      > > > Kip

    • mcooprec
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2010
        Thanks, RAM. By "theft," I assume you mean theft of unattended vehicles and gear. Not armed robbery, right?

        Michael

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:

        > South side of the road. Unofficial site. Pretty obvious to see in daylight. Theft has been an issue at times.
        >
        > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mcooprec" <coopermb@> wrote:
        > >
        > > On which side of the highway? Is it signed or unofficial?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Michael
        > >

        > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > It is west of Rockville. Is it around mile marker 25 or so? It supposedly is closed, but I have saw people there last year.

      • RAM
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2010
          Far as I know. Not super bad, but it historically has been lodging for many from Springdale during the summer, in addition to the occasion RV and the masses of car campers. I have seen free enterprise at work in the way of "drive up sales" in years past. To be fair, I haven't stayed there since 2000. Pretty big area but have seen it really packed. Heard closure is due to sanitation issues related to the flood plain it is on.

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mcooprec" <coopermb@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, RAM. By "theft," I assume you mean theft of unattended vehicles and gear. Not armed robbery, right?
          >
          > Michael
          >
          > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:
          > >
          > > South side of the road. Unofficial site. Pretty obvious to see in daylight. Theft has been an issue at times.
          > >
          > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mcooprec" <coopermb@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > On which side of the highway? Is it signed or unofficial?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Michael

        • mcooprec
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2010
            Okay, thanks again to you and Kip for the tips.

            Best,
            Michael

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:

            > Far as I know. Not super bad, but it historically has been lodging for many from Springdale during the summer, in addition to the occasion RV and the masses of car campers. I have seen free enterprise at work in the way of "drive up sales" in years past. To be fair, I haven't stayed there since 2000. Pretty big area but have seen it really packed. Heard closure is due to sanitation issues related to the flood plain it is on.
            >
            > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mcooprec" <coopermb@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks, RAM. By "theft," I assume you mean theft of unattended vehicles and gear. Not armed robbery, right?
            > >
            > > Michael
            > >
            > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > South side of the road. Unofficial site. Pretty obvious to see in daylight. Theft has been an issue at times.

          • jeff
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2010
              In Rockville you can turn right onto Bridge St, cross the bridge, stay on asphalt, a right and left turn will follow until you come to a tee. To the right the road to Grafton. To the left the biway past Smithsonian Butte and eventually Route 59. Go left and immediately you'll see a likely camping spot on the left by a wash. So likely someone will probably already be camping there. Continue on and uphill on the Biway. On the right will be a small open area with a fire ring or two. Hardly a deluxe spot, but perhaps might do. Further uphill and 3 miles from the Bridge St turnoff look for a track on the right that will lead to dispersed camping among pinyon. Similar camping spots another quarter mile on the Biway, left side.

              My lack of enthusiasm for Mosquito Cove is that it is close to the road/Rt 9. Highway sounds and lights might make for a less than sound sleep. jeff

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mcooprec" <coopermb@...> wrote:

              > Okay, thanks again to you and Kip for the tips.
              >
              > Best,
              > Michael

            • RAM
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 5, 2010
                At the T junction between Smithsonian Butte and Grafton is a small site, but it has been posted in the past AND had a sigh saying "Rattlesnake in residence...NO KIDDING!" for several years. Pretty funny.

                The sites part way up the hill, maybe 4 tenths of a mile are relatively new. Sites on both sides of the road there. From the T junction, the right turn Jeff refers to is 1.2 miles. It is a rather large area with many sites. Has been the location of high school parties over the years and can have a liter problem. If I recall, the high school kids would rotate to various spots in the area, likely dodging the authorities. You could tell where they had set up shop by the couch they would put at their new party spot. Must have seen half a dozen different couches over a couple of decades, in a several square mile area. They got pretty moldy and bug infested as the summer moves along

                At this turn off, the turn off road usually degrades after a while, but if one hikes out to the plateau, wonderful views of Kinesava, West Temple and the valley below come into play. Gone out there in search of sunset and a breeze too.

                The turn off to the left Jeff mentioned is 1.5 miles from the T junction. A couple of functional sites are there with few views. I seem to recall it was a road that led to a private property. Was it a gun or hunting club? Don't remember. It was under 2 miles in to it.

                A third turnoff road sites is at 1.8 miles from the T junction and is on the right. A couple of sites on the right early on are nice. The first one, right off the main dirt road has what we called the patio. A view on top of an undercut dryfall of 1`00 feet or so. A view from the rim back at the undercut shows a spring down there although I only visited it once and it is a chore to get to it. The Patio is not immediately evident when you turn off into that site. 50 yards NE (?) thru the trees. The turn off road at 1.8 miles does go back quite a ways and offers more privacy than all the other options. It is usually 4X4 HC.

                The steep hill leading from the lower sites to the turn off at 1.2 miles has Kayenta in its base and also turns to mud when wet. Steep and exposed road. Bad place to be in the rain. We would get up and evacuate our camp if rains came rather than getting stuck up there or killed trying to get down.

                A final consideration for all is that these pinion-juniper forests have awful no-see-um's at sunrise and particularly sunset from May into early October (Don't know about July/August). We would never go up to camp at those times before dark and they could still be a problem part way into the night. A breeze on the patio was heavenly. Pretty hot up there in the daytime too. Bake City. Been a long time since I have squatted there. Twenty minutes to the visitor center from there if you drive like me! ;-) The main road continues south to the paved road between Colorado City and Hurricane.
                Ram

                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jeff" <jb838@...> wrote:

                > In Rockville you can turn right onto Bridge St, cross the bridge, stay on asphalt, a right and left turn will follow until you come to a tee. To the right the road to Grafton. To the left the biway past Smithsonian Butte and eventually Route 59. Go left and immediately you'll see a likely camping spot on the left by a wash. So likely someone will probably already be camping there. Continue on and uphill on the Biway. On the right will be a small open area with a fire ring or two. Hardly a deluxe spot, but perhaps might do. Further uphill and 3 miles from the Bridge St turnoff look for a track on the right that will lead to dispersed camping among pinyon. Similar camping spots another quarter mile on the Biway, left side.
                >
                > My lack of enthusiasm for Mosquito Cove is that it is close to the road/Rt 9. Highway sounds and lights might make for a less than sound sleep. jeff
                >
                > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mcooprec" <coopermb@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Okay, thanks again to you and Kip for the tips.
                > >
                > > Best,
                > > Michael

              • mcooprec
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5, 2010
                  Thanks for the fantastic tips, RAM and Jeff!

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 6, 2010
                    There are also a couple campsites at the Eagle Crags trailhead. The road can be rough although last November it was in the best shape I've experienced. Nice views from the nearby transmission towers.

                    Here's a description copied from Summitpost:

                    Eagle Crags Trailhead:

                    In the town of Rockville, turn onto Bridge Road. It goes south, across an old bridge, over the Virgin River. Shortly, the road turns sharply right, but to reach the trailhead, follow the dirt road straight ahead and do not turn right. The road will climb a steep grade as it traverses up to the head of a large bowl. After driving 1.25 miles you will come to a three way intersection. Continue straight through this intersection. Pass the homes on the right on the way to another intersection. Drive left at this intersection. It passes over the wash and the road now climbs up the hillside and to the northeast. At 1.9 miles there is a small pullout on the right. A narrow 4-wheel drive road makes a turn around point here. This is the parking lot for the Eagle Crags Trail. The road may be impassible when it is wet or covered in snow.

                    --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mcooprec" <coopermb@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the fantastic tips, RAM and Jeff!
                    >
                    > Best,
                    > Michael

                  • mcooprec
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 6, 2010
                      Thanks a lot, Jeff! We'll be renting a passenger car, so this road might be too rough to handle in that. But another option is always good. I'm printing out all of your and RAM's suggestions to bring on the trip.

                      Thanks again,
                      Michael

                      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jeff" <jb838@...> wrote:

                      > There are also a couple campsites at the Eagle Crags trailhead. The road can be rough although last November it was in the best shape I've experienced. Nice views from the nearby transmission towers.
                      >
                      > Here's a description copied from Summitpost:
                      >
                      > Eagle Crags Trailhead:
                      >
                      > In the town of Rockville, turn onto Bridge Road. It goes south, across an old bridge, over the Virgin River. Shortly, the road turns sharply right, but to reach the trailhead, follow the dirt road straight ahead and do not turn right. The road will climb a steep grade as it traverses up to the head of a large bowl. After driving 1.25 miles you will come to a three way intersection. Continue straight through this intersection. Pass the homes on the right on the way to another intersection. Drive left at this intersection. It passes over the wash and the road now climbs up the hillside and to the northeast. At 1.9 miles there is a small pullout on the right. A narrow 4-wheel drive road makes a turn around point here. This is the parking lot for the Eagle Crags Trail. The road may be impassible when it is wet or covered in snow.
                      >

                      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mcooprec" <coopermb@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for the fantastic tips, RAM and Jeff!
                      > >
                      > > Best,
                      > > Michael

                    • jeff
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 6, 2010
                        My wife hates that road particularly the initial steep narrow uphill section, but in November she drove all the way to the TH to meet me. I was impressed. Somebody had done some drainage work at the final turn towards the TH/transmission towers. That section in the past has proved daunting, but it was smooth sailing in November. Made it up there in April 2008 via 2WD rental but it was dicey.

                        Mosquito Cove is probably your safe bet, but if no rain has fallen recently or is in the immediate forecast, you'd likely enjoy a night up at one of the Smithsonian Butte biway sites. The road does get quite steep before leveling out as you approach the 3 mile mark. The road is also wide so you can tack around any rough spots.

                        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mcooprec" <coopermb@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks a lot, Jeff! We'll be renting a passenger car, so this road might be too rough to handle in that. But another option is always good. I'm printing out all of your and RAM's suggestions to bring on the trip.
                        >
                        > Thanks again,
                        > Michael

                      • GcP
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 6, 2010
                          I have car camped with a friend at the area around where Coal Pitts Wash crosses the hwy between Virgin and Springdale, just west of Rockville. There is an area where you can pull off the hwy and go into the brush, there are plenty of nice places to camp for free. We just backed the car into one, sat up the tent and stayed the night. Coalpitts Wash is a nice dayhike and offers nice sunset views across the hwy.

                          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jeff" <jb838@...> wrote:

                          > My wife hates that road particularly the initial steep narrow uphill section, but in November she drove all the way to the TH to meet me. I was impressed. Somebody had done some drainage work at the final turn towards the TH/transmission towers. That section in the past has proved daunting, but it was smooth sailing in November. Made it up there in April 2008 via 2WD rental but it was dicey.
                          >
                          > Mosquito Cove is probably your safe bet, but if no rain has fallen recently or is in the immediate forecast, you'd likely enjoy a night up at one of the Smithsonian Butte biway sites. The road does get quite steep before leveling out as you approach the 3 mile mark. The road is also wide so you can tack around any rough spots.
                          >
                          > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mcooprec" <coopermb@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Thanks a lot, Jeff! We'll be renting a passenger car, so this road might be too rough to handle in that. But another option is always good. I'm printing out all of your and RAM's suggestions to bring on the trip.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks again,
                          > > Michael

                        • mcooprec
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 6, 2010
                            I wondered about the Coalpits area. Thanks for the tip, Gary.

                            Highway noise is a concern I have, since I live out in the country in Central Oregon and am used to quiet nights. I'll probably check out the Smithsonian area and, if my rental car isn't up to speed, head for Coalpits or Mosquito Cove as a backup.

                            Thanks again, everyone, for all the detailed campsite info. You've contributed to a (hopefully) good night's sleep outside the Park. Once I'm in the true backcountry, I know I'll sleep like a baby.

                            Best,
                            Michael