Camping near Kanab on 89 or near Boulder/Calf Creek

  • Damian
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2010
      Parunuweap is out, so we have decided to hit Zion a bit, then bypass Bryce (too much snow and ice now) and maybe go to Calf Creek area, then go back south near Kanab to the Buckskin area and on to Cottonwood Rd up to Hackberry Wash.

      I know there are BLM campgrounds near the turnoff to Wire Pass and other ones near Kanab, but does anyone have any favorite campgrounds, either there or by Calf Creek?  Or favorite dispersed camping spots in those two areas?   (preferably near a road - I think we have given up the idea of backpacking now).

      By the way, I talked with the BLM folk and they say Skumputah rd is terrible now, and Cottonwood is rutted but passable on either end but not passable in the middle, starting at Grosvenor Arch.  Really rutted, they tell me.  I hope our rental Jeep likes the mud and cleans up easily...

      thanks
      Damian

      On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:32 PM, damianbickett <damianbickett@...> wrote:

      Some friends and I are heading to southern Utah at the end of March, and I wanted to take them on some hikes both in Grand Staircase and around Zion. I thought about the Parunaweap canyon (I havent done that one) just outside the park, but am worried that I will be too cold. When I worked at the park in 2004, I did Pine Creek in April I think and good lord was it cold, a mistake without a wetsuit. So I have been worried ever since about the cold in these canyons. Does anyone know what Parunuweap would be like in late March? I have heard that there is wading, which I think would be ok for a little bit, but swimming would be too much probably.

      Any other Zion slot suggestions for this time? We also will not have harnesses and are not looking to do technical routes, so I dont really expect to do any of the permitted routes, perhaps just some stuff near Kolob if Parunuweap will be too cold.

      Because of our restrictions, I was mainly planning on exploring in the GSENM region, and have a basic guidebook (I've never been there), but would love other suggestions for cool slots that wouldn't freeze us in water. My hope was to find a canyon to backpack into, explore the next day, and hike out the third.

      Thanks

      Damian

      --
      Damian Bickett
      Agricultural and Resource Econ, UCB
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2010
        14 plus miles up Cottonwood from 89 is the TH for Hackberry. On the right side is Brigham Plains Rd. Travel just a very short distance on that rd and exit right before the road heads steeply uphill . . . several campsites here with a rock formation shielding them from Cottonwood Rd.

        Enroute south on House Rock Rd to Wire Pass you'll pass several short tracks going off to the left. Any of these tracks will lead you quickly to good camping. jeff