Re: Hiking the Narrows--need alternatives

  • GcP
    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 4, 2010
      In the photos section there are five maps under the titla Parunuweap maps start to finish. I added a red line to the last one which is the same as the first one showing the route over the saddle next to Checkerboard Mesa. As I mention before it is easier to follw thr oute going in and down to the river than it is going out.
      On the topo ap with Checkerboard Mesa on it, I tried in vain to hike out each of the three canyons to the east of the real route. Each time I got cliff out before turning around to try the next west canyon. Took e all day to hike out from the river.
      If I ever do it again which I know I will, I plan to maybe set up more rock cairns.

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mojave_ben" <mojave_ben@...> wrote:

      > Like Joe, I love Parunuweap. It was fun to run into a hiking group last summer in Mineral Gulch as they were pouring over Joe's map :)
      >
      > Gary, what is the Poverty Wash/Canyon access like? I presume you would start from the lowpoint of the road which continues out to the SW and Poverty Flats? This is near the Indian Knoll legend on the topo. There's another fork of the canyon which crosses the more westerly going road but that looks pretty steep.
      >
      > I've hiked down the Poverty Flat road. Hot and sunny and sandy on the way out. I drove in a few miles past the place where it dips into the headwaters of Poverty Wash and on the way out my rental sedan only just barely made it up the slope - would not recommend that and would not do it again.
      >
      > Anyway, what is the bottom like for footing, presence of shade, and any technical difficulty to descent Poverty Wash? It might be a good alternate and I might try it this summer.
      >
      > As for the Misery exit route, I've already said this is tough and you need to know your way around with route finding over slickrock and I agree heartily with what Joe said. That being said, I did it with my son when he was 8 and we had enough time to hike upstream from the plaque to the mouth of Misery. Totally awesome. We did put him on belay on the descent across the last big slickrock slab, but not on the way out. And we had carefully cached water. And it was a 13 hour day. And we got bloodied and bruised. But it was one of the best day hikes I've ever done!
      >
      > I'd really like to do the Misery technical descent, but I'm a fairly novice canyoneer so approach that idea with caution.

    • tdullmaier
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 6, 2010
        Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I got a permit for the Subway and also think we might go up past Scounts Landing after we do Angel's Landing and also hike up to Observation Point. All of your input has been extremely helpful.