Another question

  • gjgrosch
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2010
      I hope everyone does not get tired of my questions. Because of your suggestions I have decided to shorten my time at Bryce and spend more time at Zion. I plan to see the north rim, spending the night there and traveling to Bryce for the day. Then I plan to spend the night near the east end of Zion and taking the whole day to see Zion and spending the night on the west side of Zion. I can then tour/photograph the western side of Zion the 2nd day.

      Now my question: I read online that for photography the sunsets are nicer on the east side of Zion and the sunrises on the west. I have also heard that the sunsets at Bryce are spectacular. So can anyone tell me if I would get better sunset shots at Bryce or east end Zion? I am leaning toward Zion.

      I really wish I could stay longer but we own a boarding kennel/dog grooming facility. (I am a certified master groomer and my husband runs the kennel) We have to close the whole business while we are away. So we don't make any money when we take a vacation together. This is our first vacation together in 5 years so I want to be sure to see all I can.
    • Scott Little
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2010
        Hi,

        I am not sure where you got the information about sunsets at Bryce.  The main amphitheater faces east, so it gets great morning sun.  You can get some interesting photos in the mid to late afternoon timeframe but most of the "classic" shots of Bryce are at sunrise.

        My guess is that you will be happier spending your time at Zion around sunset.  Someone with more Zion experience should add some comments, but my experience is that there are a number of things to photograph in east Zion at sunset....although mid to late afternoon is the time to photograph many things in the main canyon because the canyon walls are so high.  When sunset rolls around many parts of the main canyon are in deep shadow already.  There are some classic sunset shots like The Watchman.  I have also experienced some spectacular sunsets in West Zion, but I haven't ever been around for sunrise there.

        I hope that information helps.

        Thanks,
        Scott

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
          Thanks. This is the type of info I need.