Re: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Internal Backpack

  • Lawrence Brigham
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 10, 2009
      Re: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Internal Backpack If you’re in or near Cheyenne Wy, where the STP home store is located, you will be able to try them with weights. I did.
      Larry B
      Larry5925()embarqmail.com

      On 12/10/09 7:38 AM, "bodhijoe" <joe@...> wrote:

      Hi Matt - That is a great Christmas present. :) Packs are a really personal thing, so take this worth a grain of salt. I have the Gregory Palisade for overnights. It's a bit on the pricey side but it feels luxurious and is laid out quite simply which works well for me. Now I recommended this pack to my dad, so he tried one out and didn't like it at all. He wound up buying an el-cheapo Kelty and that felt much better for his body. Go figure. I would definitely go to a gear store like REI and try on some packs and see which one feels best to you.

      Sierra Trading Post is a great website for getting discounted outdoor gear, but you won't be able to try anything on. HTH -Joe

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Zion_National_Park_Hiking%40yahoogroups.com> , "matt_andersao" <matt_andersao@...> wrote:

      > My wife is allowing me to find my own XMAS present. I am looking for a quality internal pack. Any ideas of where I can find a good deal? Any suggestions on brand? Etc?

    • RAM
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 11, 2009
        Another wonderful suggestion is the Heaps Pack from Imlay Canyon Gear. It can carry some pretty big loads and it is ideal for multi day trips and certainly is the best pack for places like the narrows and West Clear Creek etc. Very versatile
        http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/product.php?productid=16271&cat=105&page=1

        Here is some picts of the pack in use
        http://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/October2009#5395570641570815298
        http://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/October2009#5395570770262896642
        http://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/October2009#5395570873094512626
        http://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/October2009#5395571051650653218
      • TomJones
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 11, 2009
          Such an un-specific question. Such a wide range of styles of backpack, varying by style of backpacker. If I was not mainly a technical canyoneer, I would go almost-ultralight with a pack from ULA. When I do go on a non-technical trip, I pull out my P-2 (an old ULA model)...

          http://www.ula-equipment.com/

          and ... oops, I don't take pictures of myself...

          Tom

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "matt_andersao" <matt_andersao@...> wrote:

          > My wife is allowing me to find my own XMAS present. I am looking for a quality internal pack. Any ideas of where I can find a good deal? Any suggestions on brand? Etc?

        • Gordon
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 12, 2009
            At about 60 cubic inches per liter, that's a 50 liter pack ...

            Gordon

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Kurtz" <dkurtz@...> wrote:

            > 3,000 cubic inch? Damn big pack, buddy.
          • matt_andersao
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 12, 2009
              Ya it was rather "un-specific" I was just looking for ideas of where to start looking! A good place I found was Bo's Desert Rat in St. George...

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "TomJones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:

              > Such an un-specific question. Such a wide range of styles of backpack, varying by style of backpacker. If I was not mainly a technical canyoneer, I would go almost-ultralight with a pack from ULA. When I do go on a non-technical trip, I pull out my P-2 (an old ULA model)...
              >
              > http://www.ula-equipment.com/
              >
              > and ... oops, I don't take pictures of myself...
              >
              > Tom
              >
              > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "matt_andersao" <matt_andersao@> wrote:
              > >
              > > My wife is allowing me to find my own XMAS present. I am looking for a quality internal pack. Any ideas of where I can find a good deal? Any suggestions on brand? Etc?

            • tanya
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 13, 2009

                Perfect!  You could not have found a better place.  I think Bo has been off a few days to stay home with his wife who just had some surgery, but he should be back on Monday or Tuesday.