Re: Trail Closure

  • ratagonia
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2009
      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "kol84b" <kol84b@...> wrote:

      > There will be a temporary closure of the Angels Landing trail on Tuesday.
      > http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705326533,00.html

      I think the Des News took some liberties with the information. If it wasn't the Des News, I would suspect the demon Rum had a hand in the mangling...

      The original is:

      Angels Landing Trail to be Temporarily Closed on September 1

      Date: August 28, 2009
      Contact: David Eaker, 435-772-7811
      Contact: Kevin Killian, 435-772-7825
      Superintendent Jock Whitworth has announced that Angels Landing Trail in Zion National Park will be temporarily closed on Tuesday, September 1 from 6 AM to Noon. The closure will be from the Grotto Trailhead in Zion Canyon to the area just west of Scout Lookout. This portion of the trail is also the southern end of the 14 mile West Rim Trail, which begins near Lava Point in the northern portion of the park. This closure is to provide for the safety of the public and park employees during helicopter operations to remove barrels of human waste from the composting toilets at Scout Lookout. In addition, the Big Bend Scenic Viewpoint along the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive will also be closed during the same time period to facilitate helicopter operations.

      Periodically the park has to perform maintenance as well as remove the waste from the composting toilets at Scout Lookout in order for them to function properly. The composting toilets were installed in 2004 to replace the pre-existing vault toilets which had to be emptied every year to keep up with the amount of use from visitors along the very popular Angels Landing Trail. Zion National Park apologizes for any inconvenience that visitors may experience during this temporary closure.

      For more information on this trail closure call 435-772-7610 or visit the park's website at www.nps.gov/zion.

      http://www.nps.gov/zion/parknews/angels-landing-trail-to-be-temporarily-closed-on-september-1.htm
    • kol84b
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2009
        If you didn't like the way the DesNews handled that story, how about this one?
        http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705327656/Rockslide-closes-trail-at-Zion-NP.html

        You can compare it to this one.
        http://www.nps.gov/zion/parknews/rockslide-closes-weeping-rock-trail.htm
        Cliff

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "ratagonia" <ratagonia@...> wrote:

        > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "kol84b" <kol84b@> wrote:
        > >
        > > There will be a temporary closure of the Angels Landing trail on Tuesday.
        > > http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705326533,00.html
        > >

        > I think the Des News took some liberties with the information. If it wasn't the Des News, I would suspect the demon Rum had a hand in the mangling...
        >
        > The original is:
        >
        > Angels Landing Trail to be Temporarily Closed on September 1
        >
        > Date: August 28, 2009
        > Contact: David Eaker, 435-772-7811
        > Contact: Kevin Killian, 435-772-7825
        > Superintendent Jock Whitworth has announced that Angels Landing Trail in Zion National Park will be temporarily closed on Tuesday, September 1 from 6 AM to Noon. The closure will be from the Grotto Trailhead in Zion Canyon to the area just west of Scout Lookout. This portion of the trail is also the southern end of the 14 mile West Rim Trail, which begins near Lava Point in the northern portion of the park. This closure is to provide for the safety of the public and park employees during helicopter operations to remove barrels of human waste from the composting toilets at Scout Lookout. In addition, the Big Bend Scenic Viewpoint along the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive will also be closed during the same time period to facilitate helicopter operations.
        >
        > Periodically the park has to perform maintenance as well as remove the waste from the composting toilets at Scout Lookout in order for them to function properly. The composting toilets were installed in 2004 to replace the pre-existing vault toilets which had to be emptied every year to keep up with the amount of use from visitors along the very popular Angels Landing Trail. Zion National Park apologizes for any inconvenience that visitors may experience during this temporary closure.
        >
        > For more information on this trail closure call 435-772-7610 or visit the park's website at www.nps.gov/zion.
        >
        > http://www.nps.gov/zion/parknews/angels-landing-trail-to-be-temporarily-closed-on-september-1.htm

      • bodhijoe
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8, 2009
          Ah, that's much better; quite a close paraphrasing of the NPS report. But now that I think of it, it is quite a bland write-up, so maybe more people would be interested if they spiced it up with some raining feces or a comment about how dangerous the outdoors is. :)