Re: The Barracks

    Message 1 of 32 , May 12, 2009
      I'm not an advocate of trying to hitch a ride, but if I were so inclined, I would leave my car at the Checkerboard Mesa viewpoint before the hike rather than trying to hitch afterward.

      Better though would be if one of the outfitters in Springdale were willing to drive you to Mt. Carmel Junction (giving you the chance to drive along and spot your car by Checkerboard Mesa). I had a friend who would shuttle people anywhere at any time of day but his little company folded several years ago. Hopefully somebody else is out there to help!

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "kevindill23" <kevindill23@...> wrote:

      > We are only going to have one vehicle, what would be the best thing to do or best shuttle option to take?
      >
      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mojave_ben" <mojave_ben@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Joe's pointers about the river bending sharp right as it rounds a point are good. Here's a few more to find the take out point.
      > >
      > > As you go downstream, you will presumably have topo and at least be counting side canyon entrances, if your GPS doesn't work in there. Misery will come in on your right, with a small stream and a bunch of vegetation. If you check it out you'll find sulfurous warm springs there. Shortly after you go through very imposing narrows, nice fluted walls going very straight and up, wall-to-wall water, dark - very nice! After you come out of those narrows, you'll go around a few bends, some in water and some out of it. At the take out point there is a use trail on the right shore, and you'll maybe see it go straight up on the right side of a large rock which sits on the sandy bench just out of the water.
      > >
      > > As you climb up, it's a tad gnarly but not real bad. You'll be climbing up through Kaibab limestone - just remember that this is the highest layer of the Grand Canyon!

    • Cliff
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 26, 2011
        Remember, I am going upstream, so yes, it does bypass the obstacle.
        Cliff