Re: Grand Canyon

  • Janet Becker
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11, 2009
      <mailto:Zion_National_Park_Hiking%40yahoogroups.com>, "RavenMA"
      > wrote:
      > I now have reservations for the Narrows & the Subway for June 14 &
      15. Being from Ohio were taking two weeks off and trying to make the
      most of this trip as it will be a while before I get another chance to
      head out that way. We're going to spend 6 days at Zion and briefly spend
      some time at Arches, Canyonlands, Capital Reef & Bryce. With our current
      plan we still have about 3 days left to play with. We're going to swing
      down to the Grand Canyon and maybe even work our way over to monument
      valley. With the Grand Canyon being as big as it is does anyone have any
      suggestions where we could go to make the best use of our time? We'd
      like to spend a day or two at the Canyon. Is there any other "must see"
      places in southern Utah/Northern Arizona that we should consider going
      to? The wave looks sweet but with the way they work the permits it could
      end up being a colossal waste of time.
      We did a similar trip in early June of 2008. We flew from Ohio into
      Vegas and spent 3 nights in Zion, 2 nights at Bryce, 2 at Capitol Reef,
      swung up to Little Wild Horse Canyon on our way to Moab where we spent 3
      nights with my brother and saw a bit of Canyon Lands and Arches (but the
      temperatures were in the 100s - so hiking was less pleasant) We then
      made a long drive from Moab to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon where
      we spent 2 more nights, then another log drive around to the south rim
      for another three nights before a long drive back to Vegas for a night
      flight home. There was a lot of driving, but interspersed were wonderful
      hikes. In Zion we managed to do Angels Landing in the morning and then a
      partial bottom up narrows in the afternoon. We could have seen more
      everyplace we were, but I have to hope that we will get back again, and
      hopefully in slightly cooler weather.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 13, 2009
        Most of SW Utah is "must see".

        As someone else said, consider doing a bit less driving and spend a few more days in a few places and you'll get more out of it.

        If you are on the north rim you can dayhike any number of trails along the rim. If you are good hikers and are willing to get up before sunrise consider a dayhike to Roaring Springs. It's not that bad, my 8 yr old did it last year, but you better be in shape for the 3K feet climb out!