Re: Sad news

  • Ron Graham
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
      Of all places, my wife and I met Maverick at the water pump at Phantom
      Ranch during a double crossing of the Grand Canyon in September of
      '07. He was going the opposite way and wasn't much for words; he had
      a "schedule to keep". Although he was slightly stooped and had
      probably lost an inch or two of height due to old age, he was the most
      muscularly ripped older guy we had ever seen. We both wondered if he
      carried the quiet, determined, and focused intensity he displayed that
      day in other aspects of his life. In any case, we felt quite lucky to
      have by chance happened upon one of the Canyon's more fascinating
      characters. He was certainly an inspiration to us, as well as others
      gathered around the pump that day on the same journey, to stow the
      pain and complete our big hike.