March Hiking

  • cincohouston
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2009
      Hi All

      My family did a 14 mile one night backcountry pack trip in Big Bend
      last Spring Break and are reserved for three nights in mid-March in
      Zion. Looks like a great trip. Our plan is to hike Lee Pass trail to
      Arch and stay there night 1. Night 2 would be after 14 miles to Lava
      Point and night 3 to West Rim camps. Total distance for 4 days hiking
      = 35 miles.

      Question is... I see all the notes on the nps/zion website about winter
      conditions but weather looks to be pretty moderate during this time.
      If we don't see a weather.com the week before with a winter storm
      coming, shouldn't we be OK for this hike without snowshoes?

      Thanks
      Matt
    • Shaun
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 2009
        It isn't the weather in the main canyon that will give you an idea.
        True it is warming up. But the West Rim is at elevation. What would
        be rain or light snow at lower elevations will be snow or deep snow
        at higher elevations. And warmer temps that melt snow in the main
        canyon can take months to melt it at upper elevations. The road to
        Kolob Res. is under snow and closed. At Kolob Res. there is currently
        75 inches of snow depth. This is located at 9206ft just under 2000ft
        higher than the highest portions of the west Rim trail. It would be
        wise to call ahead for current winter conditions. Have some backup
        plans. Right now you may need those snow shoes. YMMV

        <http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sntl-data0000.jsp?
        site=561&days=7&state=UT>

        <http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/snotel.pl?sitenum=561&state=ut>

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, cincohouston