Advice for Vacation Please

  • finefurniturewoodworking
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26 7:04 AM
      We have the last week of March to drive an RV from Phenoix to LA.
      Could someone recommend the best places to stop for great hiking
      between these. I was thinking Sedona, and Joshaua Tree. How are
      these for hiking and are there places to park the the RV? I hear
      Sedona is overly built up and not really a "wilderness experiance," so
      I'm not sure about this. Are there any other places I should really
      consider. Thanks

      Travis
    • jeff branin
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 27 8:32 PM
        Hiking opportunities abound in and around Sedona. Campgrounds also are
        a plenty. Yes, there is congestion in Sedona, but you don't have to
        travel far to hit a trailhead. I've only been there in September and
        October, but I would think the weather would be mild at the end of
        March. My wife likes Sedona hiking a lot because there are enough
        class 1 strolls to keep her interested. A few of the trailheads are
        reached after travel on dirt roads.

        Been over 20 years since I've been to Joshua Tree. I prefer the hiking
        in Organ Pipe National Monument, but that may be too far off your
        Phoenix - LA route.

        --- In
        Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "finefurniturewoodworking"
        <finefurniturewoodworking@...> wrote:

        > We have the last week of March to drive an RV from Phenoix to LA.
        > Could someone recommend the best places to stop for great hiking
        > between these. I was thinking Sedona, and Joshaua Tree. How are
        > these for hiking and are there places to park the the RV? I hear
        > Sedona is overly built up and not really a "wilderness experiance,"
        so
        > I'm not sure about this. Are there any other places I should really
        > consider. Thanks
        >
        > Travis

      • Tom Jones
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 27 10:50 PM
          There's been a lot of snow in Flagstaff lately, which would also hit
          the mountains around Sedona. Might not be the best place to hike.

          North from there, there's a couple good hikes to do around Page
          Arizona and around Lees Ferry. I hear Cathedral Canyon at Lees
          Ferry is well worth an afternoon's stroll.

          Hiking in Zion is good if the weather cooperates. Save yourself the
          hassle, and bring the RV in through the south entrance (rather than
          going through the East Entrance. The free shuttle does not start
          until the end of March so... I think Angels Landing is almost free
          of snow at this point.

          Red Rocks Reserve just outside Las Vegas is rather a nice place.
          Plenty of accomodations in Vegas, and it is not tooooo bad if you
          stay on the outskirts.

          J Tree can be nice but it starts getting hot around the end of
          March, sometimes.

          Tom

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jeff branin"
          <jb838@...> wrote:

          > Hiking opportunities abound in and around Sedona. Campgrounds
          also are
          > a plenty. Yes, there is congestion in Sedona, but you don't have
          > travel far to hit a trailhead. I've only been there in September
          and
          > October, but I would think the weather would be mild at the end of
          > March. My wife likes Sedona hiking a lot because there are
          enough
          > class 1 strolls to keep her interested. A few of the trailheads
          are
          > reached after travel on dirt roads.
          >
          > Been over 20 years since I've been to Joshua Tree. I prefer the
          hiking
          > in Organ Pipe National Monument, but that may be too far off your
          > Phoenix - LA route.
          >

          > --- In

          Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "finefurniturewoodworking"

          > <finefurniturewoodworking@> wrote:
          > >
          > > We have the last week of March to drive an RV from Phenoix to
          LA.
          > > Could someone recommend the best places to stop for great hiking
          > > between these. I was thinking Sedona, and Joshaua Tree. How
          are
          > > these for hiking and are there places to park the the RV? I
          hear
          > > Sedona is overly built up and not really a "wilderness
          experiance,"
          > so
          > > I'm not sure about this. Are there any other places I should
          really
          > > consider. Thanks
          > >
          > > Travis

        • Felicia Bicknell
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27 11:23 PM
            Joshua Tree at the end of March is a great time to visit. There has been a fair bit of rain the last month - I'm hoping the flowers will be good this year. The flowers will begin to bloom in the lower desert first - enter at the Cottonwood entrance. The high desert part of JTree will take several weeks to bloom. It stays cooler.

> [...]
            >
            > > Phoenix - LA route.
            >

            > > --- In
            >

            > Zion_National_
            > Park_Hiking@ yahoogroups. com, "finefurniturewoodw
            > orking"
            >

            > > <finefurniturewoodw orking@> wrote:
            >

            > > > We have the last week of March to drive an RV
            > from Phenoix to
            >
            > LA.
            >
            > > > Could someone recommend the best places to stop
            > for great hiking
            >
            > > > between these. I was thinking Sedona, and
            > Joshaua Tree. How
            >
            > are
            >
            > > > these for hiking and are there places to park the
            > the RV? I
            >
            > hear
            >
            > > > Sedona is overly built up and not really a
            > "wilderness
            >
            > experiance,"
            >
            > > so
            >
            > > > I'm not sure about this. Are there any other

          • Clayton Palmer
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28 6:26 AM
              We went thru Sedona on our way home from Pheonix last weekend. It
              was pretty dry until we got to where the switchbacks started then
              there was snow all the way to Flagstaff and on to Tuba City.--- In
              Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones"
              <ratagonia@...> wrote:

              > There's been a lot of snow in Flagstaff lately, which would also
              hit
              > the mountains around Sedona. Might not be the best place to hike.
              >
              > North from there, there's a couple good hikes to do around Page
              > Arizona and around Lees Ferry. I hear Cathedral Canyon at Lees
              > Ferry is well worth an afternoon's stroll.
              >
              > Hiking in Zion is good if the weather cooperates. Save yourself
              the
              > hassle, and bring the RV in through the south entrance (rather
              than
              > going through the East Entrance. The free shuttle does not start
              > until the end of March so... I think Angels Landing is almost
              free
              > of snow at this point.
              >
              > Red Rocks Reserve just outside Las Vegas is rather a nice place.
              > Plenty of accomodations in Vegas, and it is not tooooo bad if you
              > stay on the outskirts.
              >
              > J Tree can be nice but it starts getting hot around the end of
              > March, sometimes.
              >
              > Tom
              >

              > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jeff branin"
              > <jb838@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hiking opportunities abound in and around Sedona. Campgrounds
              > also are
              > > a plenty. Yes, there is congestion in Sedona, but you don't
              have
              > > travel far to hit a trailhead. I've only been there in
              September
              > and
              > > October, but I would think the weather would be mild at the end
              of
              > > March. My wife likes Sedona hiking a lot because there are
              > enough
              > > class 1 strolls to keep her interested. A few of the trailheads
              > are
              > > reached after travel on dirt roads.
              > >
              > > Been over 20 years since I've been to Joshua Tree. I prefer the
              > hiking
              > > in Organ Pipe National Monument, but that may be too far off
              your
              > > Phoenix - LA route.
              > >

              > > --- In

              Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "finefurniturewoodworking"

              > > <finefurniturewoodworking@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > We have the last week of March to drive an RV from Phenoix to
              > LA.
              > > > Could someone recommend the best places to stop for great
              hiking
              > > > between these. I was thinking Sedona, and Joshaua Tree. How
              > are
              > > > these for hiking and are there places to park the the RV? I
              > hear
              > > > Sedona is overly built up and not really a "wilderness
              > experiance,"
              > > so
              > > > I'm not sure about this. Are there any other places I should
              > really
              > > > consider. Thanks
              > > >
              > > > Travis

            • matt_andersao
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28 11:09 AM
                Valley of Fire State Park is in my opinion, one of the the Southwests
                best kept secrets...ok not really too big of a secret, but it is a
                very impressive area. The colors are amazing varying from a deep
                red, to white and even a pink and yellow. There are arches in the
                park, and quite a few petroglyphs. The campgrounds are very nice (in
                the spring, the summer would be very hot) and have i believe RV hook
                ups, and shared showers.

                The park is about 1/2 hour off I-15 and about 40 minutes north of Las
                Vegas.

                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Clayton Palmer"
                <garyclaytonpalmer@...> wrote:

                > We went thru Sedona on our way home from Pheonix last weekend. It
                > was pretty dry until we got to where the switchbacks started then
                > there was snow all the way to Flagstaff and on to Tuba City.--- In
                > Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones"
                > <ratagonia@> wrote:
                > >
                > > There's been a lot of snow in Flagstaff lately, which would also
                > hit
                > > the mountains around Sedona. Might not be the best place to hike.
                > >
                > > North from there, there's a couple good hikes to do around Page
                > > Arizona and around Lees Ferry. I hear Cathedral Canyon at Lees
                > > Ferry is well worth an afternoon's stroll.
                > >
                > > Hiking in Zion is good if the weather cooperates. Save yourself
                > the
                > > hassle, and bring the RV in through the south entrance (rather
                > than
                > > going through the East Entrance. The free shuttle does not start
                > > until the end of March so... I think Angels Landing is almost
                > free
                > > of snow at this point.
                > >
                > > Red Rocks Reserve just outside Las Vegas is rather a nice place.
                > > Plenty of accomodations in Vegas, and it is not tooooo bad if you
                > > stay on the outskirts.
                > >
                > > J Tree can be nice but it starts getting hot around the end of
                > > March, sometimes.
                > >
                > > Tom
                > >

                > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "jeff branin"
                > > <jb838@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hiking opportunities abound in and around Sedona. Campgrounds
                > > also are
                > > > a plenty. Yes, there is congestion in Sedona, but you don't
                > have
                > > > travel far to hit a trailhead. I've only been there in
                > September
                > > and
                > > > October, but I would think the weather would be mild at the end
                > of
                > > > March. My wife likes Sedona hiking a lot because there are
                > > enough
                > > > class 1 strolls to keep her interested. A few of the
                trailheads
                > > are
                > > > reached after travel on dirt roads.
                > > >
                > > > Been over 20 years since I've been to Joshua Tree. I prefer
                the
                > > hiking
                > > > in Organ Pipe National Monument, but that may be too far off
                > your
                > > > Phoenix - LA route.
                > > >

                > > > --- In

                Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "finefurniturewoodworking"

                > > LA.
                > hiking
                How
                > > are
                > > hear
                > > experiance,"
                > > > so
                > > really

              • Travis Warren
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
                  Thanks for the advice to everybody.  Gotta get a plan together.

                  Travis