Re: I'm Looking for Ice to Climb

  • Clayton Palmer
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
      There's plenty of frozen waterfalls here in the Tetons and
      Yellowstone areas.--- In
      Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "D. K. Hansen"
      <kevin_likes_to_climb_much@...> wrote:

      > The climbing was great! We did a WI 2 route that is visible from
      the road inbetween the tunnels. Then we went for a hike into a slot
      and found a 50 foot WI 5 that was Awesome! The ice was full of sand
      and was coliflowered out it made for a real fun day.
      > Over here on the east side of the mountain things warmed up and
      all local ice fell. I'm sure down in the slots of Englestead and
      others there is still ice.
      > When are we going to go?
      > Kevin
      >

      > Hey Kevin - How did it go in the east canyon? Do you have any
      photos to share? I'm dying for some eye candy. I'm not sure what
      conditions are like, but the mouth of Camp Creek would be an
      interesting spot to check out if there was enough flow and it froze
      over. --- In
      Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "climbinghalfdome"
      <kevin_likes_to_climb_much@> wrote:>> I just drove through Kolob
      Canyon for the first time yesterday and BOY > was I impressed! I
      live on Highway 89 and most often use the East > entrance to get
      into the park, but yesterday I was in St. George and > had all kinds
      of time with the other half of Zion to see. I'm kicking > my self
      for not getting over there sooner. I saw ice 100+ feet tall and > in
      good shape. If only I could find a partner to climb it with.> Again
      on our way home we decided to drive east through the park and I >
      saw several other ice formations just before the East entrance. I'm
      > heading out tomorrow morning to climb them. If you see a little
      red Geo > Metro on the road thats me! ;-)> In any of your wonderings
      in the park (Or out), have you seen water > fall ice that would look
      good to climb?> Thanks,> Kevin> Oh Tanya, can you drop me a line?>
      kevin_likes_to_climb_much@>

      > Windows Live™ Hotmail®:…more than just e-mail.
      > http://windowslive.com/explore?
      ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_explore_012009

    • D. K. Hansen
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
        I grew up in Idaho Falls and I'm well familiar with the wild ice in the Tetons. Nothing close to being stepped out, no belay stances, and days with out seeing anyone, even on the weekends. Yes I'm home sick. My record driving time from Lupine Meadows Trail head to Kanab Utah is 12 hours 32 minutes. My Metro got 53 MPG that trip.
        I hear Cedar City still has ice and I think I'll head in there this coming weekend.
        Ever climbed in there before?
        Kevin

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2009
          Sorry, never climbed anywhere, I just happen to live here in Jackson
          Hole and thought I'd mention it. I have lived in Mt Carmel just up
          the road on 89 from Kanab. Good luck finding something.--- In
          Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "D. K. Hansen"
          <kevin_likes_to_climb_much@...> wrote:

          > I grew up in Idaho Falls and I'm well familiar with the wild ice
          in the Tetons. Nothing close to being stepped out, no belay stances,
          and days with out seeing anyone, even on the weekends. Yes I'm home
          sick. My record driving time from Lupine Meadows Trail head to Kanab
          Utah is 12 hours 32 minutes. My Metro got 53 MPG that trip.
          > I hear Cedar City still has ice and I think I'll head in there
          this coming weekend.
          > Ever climbed in there before?
          > Kevin
          >

          > There's plenty of frozen waterfalls here in the Tetons and
          Yellowstone areas.--- In
          Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "D. K. Hansen"
          <kevin_likes_to_climb_much@> wrote:>> > The climbing was great! We
          did a WI 2 route that is visible from the road inbetween the
          tunnels. Then we went for a hike into a slot and found a 50 foot WI
          5 that was Awesome! The ice was full of sand and was coliflowered
          out it made for a real fun day.> Over here on the east side of the
          mountain things warmed up and all local ice fell. I'm sure down in
          the slots of Englestead and others there is still ice.> When are we
          going to go?> Kevin> > > > Hey Kevin - How did it go in the east
          canyon? Do you have any photos to share? I'm dying for some eye
          candy. I'm not sure what conditions are like, but the mouth of Camp
          Creek would be an interesting spot to check out if there was enough
          flow and it froze over. --- In
          Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "climbinghalfdome"
          <kevin_likes_to_climb_much@> wrote:>> I just drove through Kolob
          Canyon for the first time yesterday and BOY > was I impressed! I
          live on Highway 89 and most often use the East > entrance to get
          into the park, but yesterday I was in St. George and > had all kinds
          of time with the other half of Zion to see. I'm kicking > my self
          for not getting over there sooner. I saw ice 100+ feet tall and > in
          good shape. If only I could find a partner to climb it with.> Again
          on our way home we decided to drive east through the park and I >
          saw several other ice formations just before the East entrance. I'm
          > heading out tomorrow morning to climb them. If you see a little
          red Geo > Metro on the road thats me! ;-)> In any of your wonderings
          in the park (Or out), have you seen water > fall ice that would look
          good to climb?> Thanks,> Kevin> Oh Tanya, can you drop me a line?>
          kevin_likes_to_climb_much@> > > > > > >
          __________________________________________________________> Windows
          Live™ Hotmail®:…more than just e-mail. >
          http://windowslive.com/explore?
          ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_explore_012009>

          > Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.
          > http://windowslive.com/explore?
          ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_explore_012009

        • Shaun
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2009
            Kevnin to bad I don't live in the area anymore or I'd join you.
            Never climbed them, but heard others always talk about them.

            Hidden Haven up in Parrowan Canyon
            http://www.summitpost.org/route/380207/hidden-haven-wi-3-4.html

            Google search Cedarcicle and you'll find more

            http://books.google.com/books?
            id=Az9kJvgGs2kC&pg=PP1&dq=ice+climbing+utah#PPA177,M1