Re: Lady Mountain this saturday

  • bomabro84738
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 7, 2008
      Hi Bob and Happy Holidays to you and your family!

      It is a bit more than just a scramble and yes I highly reccomend rope.
      I took an 80' rope and a 40' rope. There are 2 obstacles that are
      better done with rope (at least on the way back down). My shoulder is
      healing and told me so on the 2 obstacles. Fortunately Eric Brueck was
      along. Erics dad worked for the park from the late 30's until the 60's
      and I think Eric has been to places we all wish we could go! Eric was
      the rope gun on this excursion and I'm thankful to him. Eric is legally
      blind so we just made sure to not throw packs to him!

      Bob, it was a fun day and I recommend the hike to those that might have
      the skills, or at least have a leader that is comfortable free-climbing
      with some pretty big exposure! The views are fantastic for sure!

      Bo

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, rebgolfer@... wrote:

      > Bo,
      >
      > Nice photos and by the looks of it your shoulder must be getting
      better.
      > Was this a scramble or did you need ropes? Looks like some great
      views from
      > the top. Happy holidays!
      >
      > Bob
      > **************Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and
      > favorite sites in one place. Try it now.
      > (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-
      dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 7, 2008
        Ah, that brings back some great memories! Looks like you guys had a
        terrific day and I'm glad your shoulder is telling you that it's happy!

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bomabro84738"
        <bbeck@...> wrote:

        > Had a fun hike up to the summit of Lady Mountain this saturday with
        Jan,
        > Terry, Eric, Chris, and Andy. The weather was too perfect! 35 Deg F.
        > when we started at 8AM and we were peeling layers by the first
        rockband.
        > A fun day!
      • adkramoo
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 8, 2008
          Bo back in the game!! Glad for you. Is that Jan, of Grand Canyon River
          fame? Looks like a blast

          <bbeck@...> wrote:

          > Had a fun hike up to the summit of Lady Mountain this saturday with Jan,
          > Terry, Eric, Chris, and Andy. The weather was too perfect! 35 Deg F.
          > when we started at 8AM and we were peeling layers by the first rockband.
          > A fun day!
          >
          > [DSCN5870 (Small) (Small).jpg]
          >
          > [DSCN5872 (Small) (Small).jpg]
          >
          > [DSCN5874 (Small) (Small).jpg]
          >
          > [DSCN5875 (Small) (Small).jpg]
          >
          > [DSCN5876 (Small) (Small).jpg]
          >
          > [DSCN5878 (Small) (Small).jpg]
          >
          > [DSCN5879 (Small) (Small).jpg]
          >
          > [DSCN5881 (Small) (Small).jpg]

        • Jan Taylor
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 8, 2008
            Hi Ram,

            That's a different Jan, although I wish I had done that hike. I'm still out here in Southern
            California dreaming of my next Canyon rafting trip in April. My picture, although taken a
            few years ago, is on my profile.

            Jan Taylor
            SoCal

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@...> wrote:

            > Bo back in the game!! Glad for you. Is that Jan, of Grand Canyon River
            > fame? Looks like a blast
            >

            > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bomabro84738"
            > <bbeck@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Had a fun hike up to the summit of Lady Mountain this saturday with Jan,
            > > Terry, Eric, Chris, and Andy. The weather was too perfect! 35 Deg F.
            > > when we started at 8AM and we were peeling layers by the first rockband.
            > > A fun day!
            > >
            > > [DSCN5870 (Small) (Small).jpg]
            > >
            > > [DSCN5872 (Small) (Small).jpg]
            > >
            > > [DSCN5874 (Small) (Small).jpg]
            > >
            > > [DSCN5875 (Small) (Small).jpg]
            > >
            > > [DSCN5876 (Small) (Small).jpg]
            > >
            > > [DSCN5878 (Small) (Small).jpg]
            > >
            > > [DSCN5879 (Small) (Small).jpg]
            > >
            > > [DSCN5881 (Small) (Small).jpg]

          • adkramoo
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Taylor"
              <jhntaylor@...> wrote
              > Hi Ram,
              > That's a different Jan, although I wish I had done that hike. I'm
              still out here in Southern
              > California dreaming of my next Canyon rafting trip in April. My
              picture, although taken a
              > few years ago, is on my profile.
              > Jan Taylor
              > SoCal

              Great to put faces to names and musings. Dream on!
            • bomabro84738
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
                Thank you Ram! It's good to be recovering and become a bit less
                timid with each and every hike! I still need to be a bit
                conservative 'cause' one wrong step or move could end up in a major
                set-back! I see that Jan Taylor answered your question! The Jan that
                I've been hiking with as of recent works here at OO alongside me (at
                least until the doors close in 2 1/2 weeks) and is a daughter of the
                original Outdoor Outlet instigator 25 years ago. Her whole family is
                a group of excellent Marathon Runners, so she has been very helpful
                to me in not letting me slack on our hikes and preparing me to be
                back in resonable hiking shape again! On another note; Jan
                Taylor....maybe I'll see you on the river next season. I'm still
                waiting to see if my shoulder will rebound fully and the possibility
                of rowing a bagage boat or two for a commercial company? Of course a
                lot will be contingent on my new direction in life with the new
                store I'll be helping to open and run as well?

                Cheers....
                Bo

                <adkramoo@...> wrote:

                > Bo back in the game!! Glad for you. Is that Jan, of Grand Canyon
                River
                > fame? Looks like a blast
                >

                > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bomabro84738"
                > <bbeck@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Had a fun hike up to the summit of Lady Mountain this saturday
                with Jan,
                > > Terry, Eric, Chris, and Andy. The weather was too perfect! 35
                Deg F.
                > > when we started at 8AM and we were peeling layers by the first
                rockband.
                > > A fun day!
                > >
                > > [DSCN5870 (Small) (Small).jpg]
                > >
                > > [DSCN5872 (Small) (Small).jpg]
                > >
                > > [DSCN5874 (Small) (Small).jpg]
                > >
                > > [DSCN5875 (Small) (Small).jpg]
                > >
                > > [DSCN5876 (Small) (Small).jpg]
                > >
                > > [DSCN5878 (Small) (Small).jpg]
                > >
                > > [DSCN5879 (Small) (Small).jpg]
                > >
                > > [DSCN5881 (Small) (Small).jpg]

              • adkramoo
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
                  <bbeck@...> wrote:
                  > Thank you Ram! It's good to be recovering and become a bit less
                  > timid with each and every hike! I still need to be a bit
                  > conservative 'cause' one wrong step or move could end up in a major
                  > set-back! I see that Jan Taylor answered your question! The Jan that
                  > I've been hiking with as of recent works here at OO alongside me (at
                  > least until the doors close in 2 1/2 weeks) and is a daughter of the
                  > original Outdoor Outlet instigator 25 years ago. Her whole family is
                  > a group of excellent Marathon Runners, so she has been very helpful
                  > to me in not letting me slack on our hikes and preparing me to be >
                  back in resonable hiking shape again! On another note; Jan >
                  Taylor....maybe I'll see you on the river next season. I'm still >
                  waiting to see if my shoulder will rebound fully and the possibility >
                  of rowing a bagage boat or two for a commercial company? Of course a >
                  lot will be contingent on my new direction inlife with the new > store
                  I'll be helping to open and run as well?
                  > Cheers....
                  > Bo

                  Hey Bo. I had a sore shoulder two years ago and what amazed me about
                  it, was what you implied....One false step. Every time I had to use my
                  body, even just a little bit, maintaining balance, I would yelp off
                  the shoulder pain. It startled me to realize how much we use our upper
                  torso and arms to keep simple balance. Any little slip and I was ready
                  to scream. Enlightening.

                  Is not the best part of all the adventuring, the many people we get to
                  meet and share it with??

                  The closing of the Outlet saddens many. How many times, a drive by on
                  the interstate and seeing the sign. I am thrilled that you landed on
                  your feet and face the challenge of building something up. All my best
                  wishes.
                  Ramoo