Re: East Rim

  • ~tanya
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 24, 2008

      Very nice trip report and photos.  It's nice to see Jan getting out and getting to know Zion.  She has a great hiking partner there.  ;)

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bomabro84738" <bbeck@...> wrote:

      > As promised to myself, I played hookie and bailed out of work yesterday.
      > We debated between Lady Mountain, Aires Butte and East Rim. In the end
      > my body told me to accept the latter and shelf the testosterone for now
      > (shoulder now in the beginning phases of recovery). Jan and I stationed
      > one vehicle at Weeping Rock and made the beautiful drive out the east
      > side to the Entrance Station trailhead. Along the way there was a group
      > of maybe 6-8 sheep right at the end of the small tunnel, but we opted
      > not to stop and clog up traffic more than it already was. We started
      > hiking at around 9AM and intended to just do the East Rim to Weeping
      > Rock, but we had enough time (had to be home by 5PM) to do the quick 4
      > mile detour to Cable Mountain on the way. We ran into one group of 2
      > backpackers on their way out from Stave Spring to the east entrance. One
      > sole backpacker we caught up to on the way to Cable Mountain and then a
      > couple that was trail running from Weeping Rock we met right at the
      > cableworks, hence a photo of Jan and I at the Cable Works. We got done
      > pretty early, so we stopped for the obligatory chips and salsa and glass
      > of wine at Oscars, and lo and behold there sits DB and Courtney (in
      > their reserved table). They had just finished up doing a peakbag on one
      > of the Eagle Crag summits. Got an invite to join them today on an
      > obscure peak bid near Imlay, but had to bow out to do housework today
      > and get ready for the Turkeyday holiday creeping up! Cheers,
      > Bo
      >

      > [DSCN5850 (Small).JPG]
      >
      > [DSCN5853 (Small).JPG]
      >
      > [DSCN5854 (Small).JPG]
      >
      > [DSCN5860 (Small).JPG]
      >
      > [DSCN5863 (Small).JPG]

    • iamfeliciaus
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 24, 2008
        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bomabro84738" <bbeck@...> wrote:

        > As promised to myself, I played hookie and bailed out of work yesterday.
        > We debated between Lady Mountain, Aires Butte and East Rim. In the end
        > my body told me to accept the latter and shelf the testosterone for now
        > (shoulder now in the beginning phases of recovery).

        Bo!! Great to see you getting out!

        Keep us posted on your travels - I love reading about your adventures. :-)

        -Felicia
      • bomabro84738
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 25, 2008
          Thank you so much Felicia! I am so psyched to be able to get out! My
          shoulder is getting better day by day and it's so great! I have some
          hefty goals planned for the future, but need to take it one step at a
          time. I think you and I have a date to finally do a hike/canyon
          together one of these days!?

          ~Bo

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "iamfeliciaus"
          <iamfeliciaus@...> wrote:
          > Bo!! Great to see you getting out!
          >
          > Keep us posted on your travels - I love reading about your
          adventures. :-)

          > -Felicia

        • bomabro84738
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2008
            Thanks Tanya! Not much of a TR, but certainly a good day of hiking. I
            have so little time to enjoy with Jan as she is seriously considering a
            move to Medford area as soon as Outdoor Outlet closes its doors. She is
            appreciative of getting to know Zion as I'm appreciative of her support
            during my recovery. She pushes hard and makes me work...I need this
            encouragement now. I will miss her!

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "~tanya" <gotta@...>

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 25, 2008
              Joe, I sincerely hope that next time you are out this way you might
              include me on one of your outings?! I miss the companionship you
              offered, and would love to dig deep into your knowledge of photography!
              You and your dad would be so fun for me to join again! I hope that his
              pulled muscle has healed and that he is "back at it again"! Holler and
              I'll be there!

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "JoeB" <joe@...>
              wrote:

              > Nice Bo! East Rim one way is always a fun one; took my Dad on that
              > back in October; it was great therapy for his leg (recovering from a
              > pulled muscle). The whole Cave Canyon area has a wonderful feel in
              > the early morning -- almost absolutely silent, and the trail coming
              > down into Echo... yeah!
              >
              > I like your flying high perspective in that 3rd shot of the works.
              > Ah... I miss the area so much and I have been gone barely a month...
            • iamfeliciaus
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 25, 2008
                Sounds like a great plan to me Bo! I just need a bit of time before we can set a date - I'll
                keep ya posted! :-)

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2008
                  Absolutely Bo, I miss you too! You and my dad have both been on the
                  mend this year. He ripped one of his leg muscles last year and what
                  was to be a more adventurous canyoneering/backpacking trip turned
                  into a more mellow dayhike/smell the flowers kind of trip. But after
                  several months of PT he's back in action again. When we're back next
                  time, I'd love to join up with you for anything epic or touristy. :) -
                  Joe