Re: East Rim

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 24, 2008
      Nice Bo! East Rim one way is always a fun one; took my Dad on that
      back in October; it was great therapy for his leg (recovering from a
      pulled muscle). The whole Cave Canyon area has a wonderful feel in
      the early morning -- almost absolutely silent, and the trail coming
      down into Echo... yeah!

      I like your flying high perspective in that 3rd shot of the works.
      Ah... I miss the area so much and I have been gone barely a month...

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bomabro84738"
      <bbeck@...> wrote:

      > As promised to myself, I played hookie and bailed out of work
      yesterday.
      > We debated between Lady Mountain, Aires Butte and East Rim. In the
      end
      > my body told me to accept the latter and shelf the testosterone for
      now
      > (shoulder now in the beginning phases of recovery). Jan and I
      stationed
      > one vehicle at Weeping Rock and made the beautiful drive out the
      east
      > side to the Entrance Station trailhead. Along the way there was a
      group
      > of maybe 6-8 sheep right at the end of the small tunnel, but we
      opted
      > not to stop and clog up traffic more than it already was. We started
      > hiking at around 9AM and intended to just do the East Rim to Weeping
      > Rock, but we had enough time (had to be home by 5PM) to do the
      quick 4
      > mile detour to Cable Mountain on the way. We ran into one group of 2
      > backpackers on their way out from Stave Spring to the east
      entrance. One
      > sole backpacker we caught up to on the way to Cable Mountain and
      then a
      > couple that was trail running from Weeping Rock we met right at the
      > cableworks, hence a photo of Jan and I at the Cable Works. We got
      done
      > pretty early, so we stopped for the obligatory chips and salsa and
      glass
      > of wine at Oscars, and lo and behold there sits DB and Courtney (in
      > their reserved table). They had just finished up doing a peakbag on
      one
      > of the Eagle Crag summits. Got an invite to join them today on an
      > obscure peak bid near Imlay, but had to bow out to do housework
      today
      > and get ready for the Turkeyday holiday creeping up! Cheers,
      > Bo
      >

      > [DSCN5850 (Small).JPG]
      >
      > [DSCN5853 (Small).JPG]
      >
      > [DSCN5854 (Small).JPG]
      >
      > [DSCN5860 (Small).JPG]
      >
      > [DSCN5863 (Small).JPG]

    • ~tanya
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 24, 2008

        Very nice trip report and photos.  It's nice to see Jan getting out and getting to know Zion.  She has a great hiking partner there.  ;)

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bomabro84738" <bbeck@...> wrote:

        > As promised to myself, I played hookie and bailed out of work yesterday.
        > We debated between Lady Mountain, Aires Butte and East Rim. In the end
        > my body told me to accept the latter and shelf the testosterone for now
        > (shoulder now in the beginning phases of recovery). Jan and I stationed
        > one vehicle at Weeping Rock and made the beautiful drive out the east
        > side to the Entrance Station trailhead. Along the way there was a group
        > of maybe 6-8 sheep right at the end of the small tunnel, but we opted
        > not to stop and clog up traffic more than it already was. We started
        > hiking at around 9AM and intended to just do the East Rim to Weeping
        > Rock, but we had enough time (had to be home by 5PM) to do the quick 4
        > mile detour to Cable Mountain on the way. We ran into one group of 2
        > backpackers on their way out from Stave Spring to the east entrance. One
        > sole backpacker we caught up to on the way to Cable Mountain and then a
        > couple that was trail running from Weeping Rock we met right at the
        > cableworks, hence a photo of Jan and I at the Cable Works. We got done
        > pretty early, so we stopped for the obligatory chips and salsa and glass
        > of wine at Oscars, and lo and behold there sits DB and Courtney (in
        > their reserved table). They had just finished up doing a peakbag on one
        > of the Eagle Crag summits. Got an invite to join them today on an
        > obscure peak bid near Imlay, but had to bow out to do housework today
        > and get ready for the Turkeyday holiday creeping up! Cheers,
        > Bo
        >

        > [DSCN5850 (Small).JPG]
        >
        > [DSCN5853 (Small).JPG]
        >
        > [DSCN5854 (Small).JPG]
        >
        > [DSCN5860 (Small).JPG]
        >
        > [DSCN5863 (Small).JPG]

      • iamfeliciaus
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 24, 2008
          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bomabro84738" <bbeck@...> wrote:

          > As promised to myself, I played hookie and bailed out of work yesterday.
          > We debated between Lady Mountain, Aires Butte and East Rim. In the end
          > my body told me to accept the latter and shelf the testosterone for now
          > (shoulder now in the beginning phases of recovery).

          Bo!! Great to see you getting out!

          Keep us posted on your travels - I love reading about your adventures. :-)

          -Felicia
        • bomabro84738
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2008
            Thank you so much Felicia! I am so psyched to be able to get out! My
            shoulder is getting better day by day and it's so great! I have some
            hefty goals planned for the future, but need to take it one step at a
            time. I think you and I have a date to finally do a hike/canyon
            together one of these days!?

            ~Bo

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "iamfeliciaus"
            <iamfeliciaus@...> wrote:
            > Bo!! Great to see you getting out!
            >
            > Keep us posted on your travels - I love reading about your
            adventures. :-)

            > -Felicia

          • bomabro84738
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 25, 2008
              Thanks Tanya! Not much of a TR, but certainly a good day of hiking. I
              have so little time to enjoy with Jan as she is seriously considering a
              move to Medford area as soon as Outdoor Outlet closes its doors. She is
              appreciative of getting to know Zion as I'm appreciative of her support
              during my recovery. She pushes hard and makes me work...I need this
              encouragement now. I will miss her!

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "~tanya" <gotta@...>

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 25, 2008
                Joe, I sincerely hope that next time you are out this way you might
                include me on one of your outings?! I miss the companionship you
                offered, and would love to dig deep into your knowledge of photography!
                You and your dad would be so fun for me to join again! I hope that his
                pulled muscle has healed and that he is "back at it again"! Holler and
                I'll be there!

                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "JoeB" <joe@...>

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 25, 2008
                  Sounds like a great plan to me Bo! I just need a bit of time before we can set a date - I'll
                  keep ya posted! :-)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2 7:44 AM
                    Absolutely Bo, I miss you too! You and my dad have both been on the
                    mend this year. He ripped one of his leg muscles last year and what
                    was to be a more adventurous canyoneering/backpacking trip turned
                    into a more mellow dayhike/smell the flowers kind of trip. But after
                    several months of PT he's back in action again. When we're back next
                    time, I'd love to join up with you for anything epic or touristy. :) -
                    Joe