Re: Utah Supreme Court

  • Clayton Palmer
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
      From the east, not the west. Hiking from Mount Carmel to the east
      boundry is a very nice hike. But you can't hike from the west side
      near Springdale to the park boundry inside the area with all the
      ruins.--- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones"
      <ratagonia@...> wrote:

      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "matt_andersao"
      > <matt_andersao@> wrote:
      > >
      > > With the recent decision by the Utah Supreme Court about the land
      > > underneath rivers and streams being public any chances of being
      able
      > > to hike up the east fork of the virgin aka parunuweap? With the
      > > decision one will be able to hike up the east fork through
      private
      > > property but what about when one gets to that of the N.P.?
      > >

      > This was a matter of State Law. It does not apply to Federal Land,
      > and thus the National Park retains the ability to close sections
      when
      > it chooses to do so.
      >
      > But you can, now, hike in the river all the way to the Park
      Boundary.

      > Tom

    • Shaun
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
        Acourding to the recent Supreme Court ruiling fishermen and floaters
        can access any stream/river/creek that can normally be fished or
        floated on, even if it crosses private property so long as access is
        from a public right away and no damage accours to the property owner
        (stay in the stream course).

        As pointed out to Tom this applies to state law not federal, so
        below Labryinth Falls (sp?) to the west boundry is still offlimits.

        From springdale to the west boundry it is private poperty. The
        question is can one hike up this if accessing from a public right
        away (highway) & if this river can "normally" be floated or fished.

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Clayton Palmer"
        <garyclaytonpalmer@...> wrote:

        > From the east, not the west. Hiking from Mount Carmel to the east
        > boundry is a very nice hike. But you can't hike from the west side
        > near Springdale to the park boundry inside the area with all the
        > ruins.--- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Tom
        Jones"
        > <ratagonia@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In
        Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "matt_andersao"
        > > <matt_andersao@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > With the recent decision by the Utah Supreme Court about the
        land
        > > > underneath rivers and streams being public any chances of
        being
        > able
        > > > to hike up the east fork of the virgin aka parunuweap? With
        the
        > > > decision one will be able to hike up the east fork through
        > private
        > > > property but what about when one gets to that of the N.P.?
        > > >

        > > This was a matter of State Law. It does not apply to Federal
        Land,
        > > and thus the National Park retains the ability to close sections
        > when
        > > it chooses to do so.
        > >
        > > But you can, now, hike in the river all the way to the Park
        > Boundary.
        > >
        > > Tom

      • matt_andersao
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2008
          According to many interpretations of the case any recreational use of
          the streams also falls under the umbrella of the supreme court case.
          Thus as far as I can gather if I can access where the east fork flows
          into the Virgin, legally I could hike up the river through private
          property until I arrive at the park borders...what do you guys think,
          and is there anything to see in the area mentioned?

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Shaun"