Re: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: easy senic trails

  • t s
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2008
      Bo thanks for the reply

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Bo <bbeck@...>
      To: Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, August 1, 2008 12:34:24 AM
      Subject: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: easy senic trails

      --- In Zion_National_ Park_Hiking@ yahoogroups. com, "justhere45102" <justhere45102@ ...> wrote:

      > we will be driving thru zion next week from vegas and just wonering
      > what easy trails may be off rt 9 on our way to the north rim. Thanks tim

      Here are a few to get you started? If I had just one to choose I'd take either Canyon Overlook or Many Pools for easy, quick hikes with awesome views and features!

      http://www.zionnati onal-park. com/zion- chinle-trail. htm

      http://www.zionnati onal-park. com/zion- eagle-crags. htm

      http://www.zionnati onal-park. com/zion- canyon-overlook- trail.htm

      http://www.zionnati onal-park. com/zion- progeny-arch. htm

      http://www.zionnati onal-park. com/zion- hike-manypools. htm

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
        The operative word here may be "easy".

        Canyon Overlook is easy and very rewarding.

        Progeny Peak is not easy, though it is not long. It may be "easy" to
        a rock jock but you're talking 1000 feet of slickrock scrambling.
        The view is just amazing.

        Many Pools, as of last week, had no flowing water (no surprise) and a
        bunch of small dark pools full of tadpoles and grit floating on the
        surface. All it takes is one real rain though to clean them up.
        Note that you don't have to walk the road from the parking pull out -
        drop down into Clear Creek and the Many Pools drainage is the first
        on your left, go under the cool stone culvert under the highway.

        No comment on Chinle or Eagle Crags as I have not done them yet, but
        doubt they are "easy" as in "a place we could do a quick hike on our
        park tour."

        Key to all is getting an early start. Last week I climbed Progeny
        starting at 7 AM and was in the shade most of the way up, and it was
        really nice. Same day, did Many Pools afterwards, and it was damn
        hot and the sweat in your eyes detracts from the beauty of the
        place. The Alcove is a great shady place for a nap, however!
      • Bo
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008

          Thanks for the update! You note that Tanya and I have given what we like to think of as "Trail Descriptions" that hopefully are somewhat objective. Note on our "At a Glance" within the trail description of Two Pines Arch/ Progeny Peak I have highlighted in red the relative difficulty of sections of the hike. I am hoping that by sending a link to our trail descriptions, one would look at the entire description and make a choice based on the total description?

          Yes..."EASY" is an extremely subjective philosophy, but so far the feedback Tanya and I have recieved regarding our Trail Descriptions have been very positive. I will only hope that if I'm "sandbagging", I will be called to the table. It has happened before and I'm sure it will happen again. Not at all intending to pad egos. Just hopefully supplying accurate info. that can be enjoyed by all!

          Progeny Peak at a Glance
          Photo Album:
          Progeny Peak Pictures
          Trail Maps: Progeny Peak Topo Map
          Day Hike
          : Yes
          Arch Distance: .4 miles one way
          Progeny Peak Distance: .8 mile one way. Total hike distance to summit and back: 1.6 miles.
          Average Hiking Time: 3 hours to the peak and back.
          Equipment: Carry at least 2 quarts of water per person, energy foods, basic first aid kit, emergency supplies and proper clothing for the season. Always wear sturdy sticky rubber shoes when scrambling on slickrock.
          Difficulty: The hike to the arch is a quick jaunt, but if going to the peak the hike becomes moderately strenuous with exposed slickrock scrambling.
          Permits: Not required.
          Trailhead: The trailhead is on the north side of the Zion-Mt. Carmel Highway (Highway 9) and just east of the Zion-Mt. Carmel Tunnel . Look for the small wash, identified by a yellow sign that says: "Caution Delays Possible Be Prepared to Stop".
          Trailend: Same as trailhead.
          Trail Access: The Zion-Mt. Carmel Highway is open year-round.
          Starting Elevation: 5200'
          Arch Elevation: 5600'
          Summit Elevation: 6275'
          Total Elevation Gain: 1075'
          Off the Beaten Path: Yes
          Classic Zion Hike: No
          Best Season: Best time of the year: spring, fall and winter are all possible, but only hike on slickrock when the surface is dry. If hiking in the summer begin early in the morning to reduce sun exposure. Scrambling on slickrock should only be attempted by experienced hikers. Wear sticky hiking shoes to help grip the rock. Slickrock is dangerous when wet and cold. The rock is often dotted with moss, which holds water and becomes slippery like ice when it's cold out.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
            Hey, Bo, don't get me wrong, the descriptions you and Tanya put up
            are the best I've found on the net and I am EXTREMELY grateful for
            them! I did a bunch of them last week (trip report when I am caught
            up at work) and you've done a super job. Descriptions and maps are
            accurate, and the photos are always tempting! There's lots of well
            known trails in the main canyon, but once you get east of the tunnel
            it's largely routes and the terrain has so much relief and so many
            features it is hard to pick out a route without help. Yet, I really
            enjoy the east side, and that's why I came back again this summer; it
            is so beautiful up there and no one is out in the back country at
            all - pleasant solitude.

            As for Progeny, yes, if someone just hikes up to the arch, the wash
            is beautiful and there's just enough slickrock for a newbie to get a
            sense of what it is like. I assumed that the original poster was
            fairly new to the area - else they'd already know your site, it comes
            up at the top of all the searches :) (Joe and Tom also have a bunch
            of great info too, thanks to all of you!)

            We stayed at Tanya's motel for 4 nights (and in St. George for 3) and
            were the first out of the parking lot every morning. I think people
            don't realize how wonderful is the morning light and cool temps, and
            the difference in comfort level of summer hiking in morning shade vs.
            mid-day direct heat.

            Even in summer, Zion is unbelievably beautiful. Those of you who
            live out there are so lucky. I'm going to have to pound the web and
            maps again to come up with a week's worth of good hikes for next
            summer!
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
              > No comment on Chinle or Eagle Crags as I have not done them yet, but
              > doubt they are "easy" as in "a place we could do a quick hike on our
              > park tour."

              I can only add one comment about "easy" for stuff in the "desert
              section" -- seasons and temps play a huge factor here. The Eagle Crags
              and the Chinle Trail are actually pretty "easy" -- easy to follow
              trails, not really that much elevation gain, go slow, turn around
              whenever you like, etc. But in summer heat they are brutal. Last time I
              did the EC trail, it was 110 degrees and I wanted to die. It's a much
              more pleasant jaunt in the fall or winter. (And the drive to the
              trailhead can sometimes be pretty sketchy after a rain -- the access
              road isn't maintained very much.) -Joe
            • Bo
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
                No problem Ben! Thanks for your compliments to Tanya and me! I was
                more addressing Tim so that he could realize that we try real hard to
                provide a "Complete" description, including difficulty of the trails.

                You and Joe are totally right though....the heat in the desert this
                time of the year can be stifling, and thats why I chose the Canyon
                Overlook Trail and or Two Pines Arch as my suggestions. Short but
                sweet. For the more ambitious...the suggestion you made about early
                starts has always been my philosophy. Not sure what the moon calender
                says, but a moonlight stroll on Chinle might be really pleasant? Even
                better would be a moonlight stroll on the Parus Trail!

              • rebgolfer@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
                  Bo,

                  Did you get the information about my colleague's son from Germany that wants to live and work in the US for a year so that he can improve his English speaking skills and do some climbing?  Tanya thought you may want to hire him at the store.  He is a pretty extreme climber that I think could keep up with Courtney.  I've seen pictures of some of the climbs he's done with his dad in Italy.  Pretty impressive stuff.  Let me know if you are interested or if you know of some other opportunity for him.  Thanks,

                  Bob

                  PS  His English is already very good so that would not be a problem.