Re: Slot canyon in las vegas

  • canyonsears
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
      FYI canyonguru: posting links and pics to this canyon online is a
      GREAT way to get it shut down.

      There are numerous "sensitive and endangered" plants in this canyon
      and the Red Rock back country rangers and biologists (who do visit
      these yahoo groups) get really upset as you obviously know but
      unfortunately for the rest of us choose to disregard.

      Chat with Luke and Ron (have a strong feeling you are one of them)
      about this also as i am sure they also already know.

      Thanks and PLEASE don't blow it for the rest of us.

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, canyonguru
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > i hope i don't get in trouble for telling u guys this
    • Jan Taylor
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2008
        Dear Canyonsears,

        Your posting below seems a little extreme to me. Is this canyon off limits? Are there "no
        trespassing" signs posted? Is it restricted only to the likes of you and whomever else you
        are including in your statement, "Don't blow it for the rest of us?" I'm not trying to stir
        anything up, and this is not a canyon experience I would ever attempt, but your response
        seems a little odd if this is not an officially restricted area. If you had explained your
        reasons for writing what you did, or put it in a different way, your statement may not
        sound as self-righteous to me as it does. So what's up with your response, and why did
        Canyonguru's post upset you as it did?

        Jan Taylor
        SoCal

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "canyonsears" <canyonsears@...>
        wrote:

        > FYI canyonguru: posting links and pics to this canyon online is a
        > GREAT way to get it shut down.
        >
        > There are numerous "sensitive and endangered" plants in this canyon
        > and the Red Rock back country rangers and biologists (who do visit
        > these yahoo groups) get really upset as you obviously know but
        > unfortunately for the rest of us choose to disregard.
        >
        > Chat with Luke and Ron (have a strong feeling you are one of them)
        > about this also as i am sure they also already know.
        >
        > Thanks and PLEASE don't blow it for the rest of us.
        >

        > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, canyonguru
        > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > >
        > > i hope i don't get in trouble for telling u guys this

      • Ralph Whittle
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2008

          Jan,

          I completely agree with you; additionally, I don’t know how a Back Country Ranger could shut down a Yahoo website.

          Ralph

          wrote:

          > FYI canyonguru: posting links and pics to this canyon online is a
          > GREAT way to get it shut down.
          >
          > There are numerous "sensitive and endangered" plants in this
          canyon
          > and the Red Rock back country rangers and biologists (who do visit
          > these yahoo groups) get really upset as you obviously know but
          > unfortunately for the rest of us choose to disregard.
          >
          > Chat with Luke and Ron (have a strong feeling you are one of them)
          > about this also as i am sure they also already know.
          >
          > Thanks and PLEASE don't blow it for the rest of us.
          >

          > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com,
          canyonguru
          > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > i hope i don't get in trouble for telling u guys this

        • stefan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2008

            i think the comment was claiming that access to the canyon might get shut down.

            On Jul 6, 2008, at 4:39 PM, Ralph Whittle wrote:

             >I don’t know how a Back Country Ranger could shut down a Yahoo website.

          • canyonguru
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 7, 2008
              --- Sorry guys i didn't mean to get a stir going about this canyon i
              just wanted to see if any of you have gone down this canyon. i
              understand that some people like to keep canyons to themselves but i
              also believe that we should try to share information about these places
              so people can enjoy them just as much as we are.

              the comment about me being in trouble was a little over board i spoke
              to a ranger in red rock about this canyon and he told me that as long
              at it stays natural and we keep it clean they wont start permiting the
              canyon. i am sorry if i affended anyone i didn't mean to i just want
              people to be able to enjoy canyoneering and learn about new places. so
              there ya go.

              In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, stefan
              <wanderingcanyons@...> wrote:

              > i think the comment was claiming that access to the canyon might get
              > shut down.
              >

              > On Jul 6, 2008, at 4:39 PM, Ralph Whittle wrote:
              >
              > > >I don't know how a Back Country Ranger could shut down a Yahoo
              > > website.

            • Tom Jones
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
                It is a gem of a canyon, WHEN IN CONDITION. It tends to be in
                condition about 3 weeks each year, usually in the spring. I expect
                it would be hellish right now.

                Maybe at night...

                Tom

                <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > i hope i don't get in trouble for telling u guys this but for
                those of
                > you in the las vegas area there are 2 semi slot and 1 slot canyon
                in
                > the red rock conservation area west of las vegas. i am attmepting
                to do
                > it here in a couple of weeks. the rating is a 4b IV and i am told
                that
                > it is only about 3 miles taking up to 12 hours to complete with 20
                > rappels here is a link to the site i found the canyon on.
                >
                > http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/icecub.htm
                >

                > i was told by a local shop that this canyon is one of tom jones
                > favorite canyons. this is just what i heard. the other two canyons
                are
                > next to the maze one is Ice Box and the other is hidden falls
                both of
                > witch are on brennens web page.

              • adammai
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 12, 2008
                  Tom's right on this one -- mid-March is often a good time in this
                  canyon. Mid-summer descents are not so fun. Late December descents --
                  well, I don't advise that either -- I think Neil commented in the
                  Canyons group on my poor judgement on that one. :)

                  --adam

                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones"