Re: Paria Canyon

  • ~tanya
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2008

      You are both correct and incorrect.  The visitor center, if I remember right, is the GSENM VC, but you can do a lot of BLM business there.

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Taylor" <jhntaylor@...> wrote:

      > In June 2005, there was no BLM in Big Water. In fact, there isn't very much in Big Water at
      > all. The BLM station where you get the White House/Buckskin Gulch/Wave permits is the
      > Paria BLM along Highway 89, about 35 miles east of Kanab. The owners of the Paria
      > Outpost Restaurant, just west of the BLM, also provide shuttle service between White
      > House and Wire Pass if you make the arrangements in advance of your trip. When we got
      > to the BLM in June 2005, we had driven through several thunder storms on the way. The
      > ranger at the Paria BLM Station cautioned us against packing through Buckskin Gulch
      > because of a moderate threat of thunder storms, and we wisely heeded the advice.
      > Although we ended up not doing a through-hike, we did day hikes down the Paria River,
      > a couple of miles in and out of Buckskin and Wire Pass, and snagged a walk-in permit to
      > do The Wave. We also hiked up the Wahweap Wash (out of Big Water) to the whte hoodoos.
      > There is a lot to see in the area. Although we were disappointed in aborting our 2-day
      > backpack through Buckskin, our alternative day hikes were incredible.
      >
      > Jan Taylor
      >

      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, rebgolfer@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Tanya is correct. I did this hike two years ago and it is a spectacular
      > > hike. The 20 permit limit per day is just for overnights. There is not a limit
      > > for the day use permits. This time of year I am sure all 20 permits for
      > > overnight are gone.
      > >
      > > I hope you find someone in good shape to go with you because it is 23 miles
      > > and then you will need a car at Whitehouse to drive back to the Wirepass trail
      > > head. Please take caution. The Buckskin Gulch is dangerous if there is a
      > > flash flood. You might check at the BLM Ranger Station on Highway 89. I
      > > think it is at Big Water. (Tanya, please correct the location if Big Water is
      > > not correct)
      > >
      > > I don't know your experience level, but be sure you have the proper foot
      > > wear for this trip. You will be in water and maybe a lot depending on how
      > > recent it last rained.
      > >
      > > Good Luck and Enjoy,
      > >
      > > Bob
      > >

      > > **************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
      > > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
      > > (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)

    • cgptsnaz
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2014

        Hoping someone here has info on the Paria Canyon area? I am curious about hiking the Paria from 89 to Lees Ferry in mid September. Is there usually running water in the canyon in the fall? Email me at cgptsnaz@... if you can answer this question.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2014
          Kelsy as a rather thorough book on the Paria area.  Its Kelsey so take all the timings with several grains of salt but I have found it reasonably useful on the ground.