Paria Canyon

  • me
    Message 1 of 7 , May 26 10:29 AM
      I'm interested in taking a trip (so far it's solo) to Escalante
      Grandstaircase from Whitehouse trailhead to Wirepass trailhead (or
      backwards?). Are permits difficult to get for these trails? I know
      that they only allow 20 people in the canyon per day, but permits can
      be purchased in advance (although the website has disabled this
      function right now, for some reason). How do I know if there are any
      permits available? I tried calling the BLM but they don't answer so...

      If there's anyone on this site wanting to hike this preferably on
      weekdays, sometime within the next couple of weeks, and have guide
      knowledge (I may get lost on the trail, can't read a topo map yet)...
      let me know, perhaps we can plan a backpacking adventure. *sigh* I
      knew a group that went this year with a knowledgeable guide but I had
      to work so I couldn't join the group. Please let me know if you have
      any ideas on helping me make this happen. Thanks.
    • ~tanya
      Message 2 of 7 , May 27 11:11 AM

        If I remember right, you can pick up a permit at the Wirepass Trailhead and hike to the Whitehouse Trailhead.  It costs $5 and you just drop it in a box.  The waiting and permits become an issue when it's an overnight hike.

        More info

        http://www.zionnational-park.com/buckskin-gulch.htm

        http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm

      • rebgolfer@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , May 27 5:24 PM
          Tanya is correct.  I did this hike two years ago and it is a spectacular hike.  The 20 permit limit per day is just for overnights.  There is not a limit for the day use permits.  This time of year I am sure all 20 permits for overnight are gone.

          I hope you find someone in good shape to go with you because it is 23 miles and then you will need a car at Whitehouse to drive back to the Wirepass trail head.  Please take caution.  The Buckskin Gulch is dangerous if there is a flash flood.  You might check at the BLM Ranger Station on Highway 89.  I think it is at Big Water.  (Tanya, please correct the location if Big Water is not correct)

          I don't know your experience level, but be sure you have the proper foot wear for this trip.  You will be in water and maybe a lot depending on how recent it last rained.

          Good Luck and Enjoy,

          Bob

        • Jan Taylor
          Message 4 of 7 , May 27 10:16 PM
            In June 2005, there was no BLM in Big Water. In fact, there isn't very much in Big Water at
            all. The BLM station where you get the White House/Buckskin Gulch/Wave permits is the
            Paria BLM along Highway 89, about 35 miles east of Kanab. The owners of the Paria
            Outpost Restaurant, just west of the BLM, also provide shuttle service between White
            House and Wire Pass if you make the arrangements in advance of your trip. When we got
            to the BLM in June 2005, we had driven through several thunder storms on the way. The
            ranger at the Paria BLM Station cautioned us against packing through Buckskin Gulch
            because of a moderate threat of thunder storms, and we wisely heeded the advice.
            Although we ended up not doing a through-hike, we did day hikes down the Paria River,
            a couple of miles in and out of Buckskin and Wire Pass, and snagged a walk-in permit to
            do The Wave. We also hiked up the Wahweap Wash (out of Big Water) to the whte hoodoos.
            There is a lot to see in the area. Although we were disappointed in aborting our 2-day
            backpack through Buckskin, our alternative day hikes were incredible.

            Jan Taylor

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, rebgolfer@... wrote:

            > Tanya is correct. I did this hike two years ago and it is a spectacular
            > hike. The 20 permit limit per day is just for overnights. There is not a limit
            > for the day use permits. This time of year I am sure all 20 permits for
            > overnight are gone.
            >
            > I hope you find someone in good shape to go with you because it is 23 miles
            > and then you will need a car at Whitehouse to drive back to the Wirepass trail
            > head. Please take caution. The Buckskin Gulch is dangerous if there is a
            > flash flood. You might check at the BLM Ranger Station on Highway 89. I
            > think it is at Big Water. (Tanya, please correct the location if Big Water is
            > not correct)
            >
            > I don't know your experience level, but be sure you have the proper foot
            > wear for this trip. You will be in water and maybe a lot depending on how
            > recent it last rained.
            >
            > Good Luck and Enjoy,
            >
            > Bob
            >

            > **************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
            > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
            > (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)

          • ~tanya
            Message 5 of 7 , May 30 9:58 AM

              You are both correct and incorrect.  The visitor center, if I remember right, is the GSENM VC, but you can do a lot of BLM business there.

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Taylor" <jhntaylor@...> wrote:

              > In June 2005, there was no BLM in Big Water. In fact, there isn't very much in Big Water at
              > all. The BLM station where you get the White House/Buckskin Gulch/Wave permits is the
              > Paria BLM along Highway 89, about 35 miles east of Kanab. The owners of the Paria
              > Outpost Restaurant, just west of the BLM, also provide shuttle service between White
              > House and Wire Pass if you make the arrangements in advance of your trip. When we got
              > to the BLM in June 2005, we had driven through several thunder storms on the way. The
              > ranger at the Paria BLM Station cautioned us against packing through Buckskin Gulch
              > because of a moderate threat of thunder storms, and we wisely heeded the advice.
              > Although we ended up not doing a through-hike, we did day hikes down the Paria River,
              > a couple of miles in and out of Buckskin and Wire Pass, and snagged a walk-in permit to
              > do The Wave. We also hiked up the Wahweap Wash (out of Big Water) to the whte hoodoos.
              > There is a lot to see in the area. Although we were disappointed in aborting our 2-day
              > backpack through Buckskin, our alternative day hikes were incredible.
              >
              > Jan Taylor
              >

              > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, rebgolfer@ wrote:
              > >
              > > Tanya is correct. I did this hike two years ago and it is a spectacular
              > > hike. The 20 permit limit per day is just for overnights. There is not a limit
              > > for the day use permits. This time of year I am sure all 20 permits for
              > > overnight are gone.
              > >
              > > I hope you find someone in good shape to go with you because it is 23 miles
              > > and then you will need a car at Whitehouse to drive back to the Wirepass trail
              > > head. Please take caution. The Buckskin Gulch is dangerous if there is a
              > > flash flood. You might check at the BLM Ranger Station on Highway 89. I
              > > think it is at Big Water. (Tanya, please correct the location if Big Water is
              > > not correct)
              > >
              > > I don't know your experience level, but be sure you have the proper foot
              > > wear for this trip. You will be in water and maybe a lot depending on how
              > > recent it last rained.
              > >
              > > Good Luck and Enjoy,
              > >
              > > Bob
              > >

              > > **************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
              > > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
              > > (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)

            • cgptsnaz
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2014

                Hoping someone here has info on the Paria Canyon area? I am curious about hiking the Paria from 89 to Lees Ferry in mid September. Is there usually running water in the canyon in the fall? Email me at cgptsnaz@... if you can answer this question.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 3, 2014
                  Kelsy as a rather thorough book on the Paria area.  Its Kelsey so take all the timings with several grains of salt but I have found it reasonably useful on the ground.