advice on may backpacking trip

  • sammiebean9
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2008
      My husband and I are going to be hiking the La Verkin Creek trail at
      the end of May and camping for 3 nights. I don't see any info on the
      park website about food storage. What do you guys recommend? Is a
      something like a Ratsack good enough? Are critters a major problem,
      for instance if we go dayhiking and leave our food in camp will it all
      be gone when we get back?

      Also is the end of May (the 28th or 29th) a good time to hike the
      Narrows? Will we need drysuits etc?

      Thanks for any help!
    • Tom Jones
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2008
        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "sammiebean9"
        <sammiebean9@...> wrote:

        > My husband and I are going to be hiking the La Verkin Creek trail at
        > the end of May and camping for 3 nights. I don't see any info on
        > the park website about food storage. What do you guys recommend?
        > Is a something like a Ratsack good enough? Are critters a major
        > problem, for instance if we go dayhiking and leave our food in camp
        > will it all be gone when we get back?

        Critters are not a BIG problem, but protection against micro-bears,
        like the Ratsack and/or hanging your food while away would be a good
        idea.

        > Also is the end of May (the 28th or 29th) a good time to hike the
        > Narrows? Will we need drysuits etc?

        Most likely, The Narrows will be in 'summer' mode by the end of May,
        with wading up to waist deep common and maybe an occassional swim. It
        might be a little high, which would prove challenging for many,
        including the unfit and smallish adults. There's plenty of snow up in
        the high-country above The Narrows, but we expect it to melt out in
        April into about the middle of May.

        Drysuits? maybe. I think most people would do it "summer" style,
        shorts, tee shirt, quickdry all around with plenty of fleece tops,
        poles to help remain upright, drybags for all your gear.

        Tom
      • Bo
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 10, 2008
          The one and only time I camped out in La Verkin Creek at the mouth of
          Hop Valley I hung my food from a tree. In the middle of the night I
          woke to a Ringtail Cat feverishly trying to get it's hooks into my bag
          of food. I'd say to hang your food.

          Hopefully by the end of may the snow will all have melted and the
          water level makes the Narrows accessible and enjoyable by then.