RE: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Search Management

  • bruce silliman
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2008
      Thanks, I'll take a look at it and then pass it along to our new Chief Ranger, Dave Fox.

      bruce

      To: Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com
      From: bbeck@...
      Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 13:20:37 +0000
      Subject: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] Re: Search Management

      Oh yeah Bruce....just a stupid note by me...Ropes that Rescue is a
      course presented by Reed Thorne of Sedona Arizona and the course that
      we took in November was Rigging for Rescue. Mike Gibbs, Kirk Mauthner
      and Reed Thorne all like any publicity that is thrown their way
      though I'm sure :-)

      Jeff seemes excited for the upcoming ACA Rendezvous that will be in
      Escalante for the first half!

      You ought to check out this www.wcasie.com software that Dave
      Lovelock wrote and is presenting to us this week. It's pretty cool
      stuff! Computer Aided Search Information Exchange. Pretty much a
      program that works based on statistical history and probabilities.
      Lots of cool results. It's free and there is a practice scenario that
      is pretty fun.

      --- In Zion_National_ Park_Hiking@ yahoogroups. com, bruce silliman
      <weabruce@.. .> wrote:

      > Hey Bo,
      > Jeff the backcountry ranger from Glen Canyon stationed in Escalante
      was on that search team and if you remember he was in the Ropes for
      Rescue last November.

      > bruce from bryce
      >

      > To: Zion_National_ Park_Hiking@ ...: bbeck@...: Wed, 5 Mar 2008
      05:24:22 +0000Subject: [Zion_National_ Park_Hiking] Search Management

      > Day two of Search Management presented by Bill Vandergraff and Ken
      Philips has really opened my eyes to another aspect of SAR that I had
      not been directly involved with before. The process is much, much
      more involved, yet much more organized than I had ever realized.
      There are about 30 atendees involved in class from many areas to
      include Kane County, Washington County, Las Vevas Fire SAR, Denali
      NP, Escalante NM, Iron County, Glen Canyon and many other parks and
      Sheriffs Depts.I have always just gone to a SAR and said, "OK...what
      do you want me to do?" I'm now getting a feel for all of the pre-
      planning that is involved.Tonight I stayed for an optional
      presentation of the documentary of the recent collaborative search
      for a missing Peace Corp Volunteer, Poirier, whose case was reopened
      after almost 7 years have elapsed. The search took place this last
      summer in Bolivia and was a joint effort of the NPS, Bolivian SAR,
      FBI, Peace Corp and private dog teams and others. It was absolutely
      incredible the logistics that were involved and the effort that was
      made to locate the only Peace Corp Volunteer that to this date still
      has never been found in its half century history.Tomorrow I will
      present along with my team, our plans and map for the search for a
      couple from Canada that are overdue in Zion Park. I'm very anxious to
      see how well we have done!? I guess by the end of the course on
      friday, I will have a much better idea as to the intricasies of this
      management aspect of SAR.

      > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You
      IM, we give.
      > http://im.live. com/Messenger/ IM/Home/? source=text_ hotmail_join

      Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailĀ®-get your "fix". Check it out.