Some History

  • ~*~News Today~*~
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2008
      Some people are so full of life that they radiate vitality across time and space. William Wallace Flanigan, born in 1877 at Rockville, was one.

      ....    Later, he helped his brother Dave build the amazing cableworks in Zion Canyon that was used to lower lumber from the rim to the valley.
          You would think that when a person works so hard, he would want to take it easy. But Will spent all his spare time exploring. At a time when people thought the Virgin Narrows were impassable (G.K. Gilbert had actually traversed the Narrows in 1872), he set off to explore the length of it alone. He did it, and reached Springdale the same day.
          While working at a mill near Mount Trumbull, he hiked from the rim of the Grand Canyon to the river ("I came very nearly not making it. The day was warm, my can of water gave out.")
          He explored Death Valley and the Arctic, ran the Colorado River, discovered Flanigan Arch, climbed Mt. Whitney and retraced most of the West's old explorer and pioneer trails, often by horse.

      http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8154504