Re: Anyone for a hike in the park this Sunday?

  • Cheryl
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2007
      Thanks for the info on the shuttle, I didn't know that it had stopped
      running for the season. Well, we could certainly ride our bicycles to
      the trailhead and lock 'em up there also.

      The campground reservation guy said they no longer are taking advanced
      reservations for Watchmans, that it's first-come-first-served now.
      Looking into your crystal ball, do you think it will fill up this
      weekend so we'll have that to worry about also as we bike in?

      Cheryl

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "wininzion"
      <NJedge@...> wrote:

      > Cheryl,
      >
      > The shuttle is not running anymore. Hitch hikin should not be
      > problem, though.
      >
      > Have fun,
      > Win

    • wininzion
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2007
        My crystal ball is a bit hazy but I can tell you the Canyon was
        crowded last weekend. The campgrounds did not have many people, though.
        Weather looks to be near perfect.

        Win
      • pbryan_7
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2007
          Actually the Watchman campground was full on Fri. night (not sure
          about Sat.), the other campground was closed.

          Also, for the first time, shuttles were running on the weekend, and
          all roads were open to cars. They expect to run shuttles on the
          weekends until Thanksgiving, or until ridership is too low to make it
          worthwile...

          --Paul

          <NJedge@...> wrote:

          > My crystal ball is a bit hazy but I can tell you the Canyon was
          > crowded last weekend. The campgrounds did not have many people, though.
          > Weather looks to be near perfect.
          >
          > Win

        • Cheryl
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2007
            Thanks for the update Paul.

            Guess we'll just have to take our chances on the campground, try to
            get there as early as our bikes will let us.

            That's good news on the shuttles too!

            Cheryl

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "pbryan_7"
            <pbryan@...> wrote:

            > Actually the Watchman campground was full on Fri. night (not sure
            > about Sat.), the other campground was closed.
            >
            > Also, for the first time, shuttles were running on the weekend, and
            > all roads were open to cars. They expect to run shuttles on the
            > weekends until Thanksgiving, or until ridership is too low to make
            it
            > worthwile...
            >
            > --Paul
            >
            > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "wininzion"
            > <NJedge@> wrote:
            > >
            > > My crystal ball is a bit hazy but I can tell you the Canyon was
            > > crowded last weekend. The campgrounds did not have many people,
            though.
            > > Weather looks to be near perfect.
            > >
            > > Win

          • wininzion
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 8, 2007
              Sorry for my error on the campgrounds I looked at the other and it was
              empty, now I know why. I did ask at the VC and they told me it was the
              last weekend for the shuttle. Funny, it's not the first time I've heard
              conflicting stories from different park employees.

              With the nice weather it would be nice if they kept the shuttle running.
              Parking filled up really fast on Sat in the main canyon.

              Win
            • Cheryl
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 8, 2007
                Thanks Win,

                I just called the Park to see what they are planning on doing this
                weekend. The very nice gal said that last weekend they indeed had
                both the shuttles and the private cars on the road, mainly because of
                the influx of the Las Vegas schools and Utah schools that were all
                out and overwhelmed the parking lots and campground.

                She thinks this weekend will be much calmer and doubts the campground
                will fill up before noonish, if at all. She also said that the
                shuttles are definitely not running again until next spring now.

                Cheryl
                Park City