Re: [Zion_National_Park_Hiking] San Juan River [OT]

  • Shane Rasmussen
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2007

      Hi Marty,

      I have rafted theSan Juan about half a dozen times in the last several years. You have a pretty good chance of getting a lottery draw for the SJ in the second week of May. If your launch date is a little flexible in that time frame you could almost be guaranteed to pick up a cancellation trip as well. I would start from Bluff\Sand Island instead of Mexican Hat if possible though, some of the best scenery and petroglyphs\ruins are in that upper section. A couple of other great trips for a first time rafter in Utah would be Desolation Canyon and Labyrinth\Stillwater canyons (flat water canoe trip with a jet boat pickup up the Colorado toMoab , best first time river trip in Utah IMHO). Permits for the Colorado River in Utah are really easy to get , but the rapids are BIG (IV+) in Westwater and Cataract Canyons, especially in May. Feel free to contact me off list if you have any other questions.

      Thanks,

      Shane

      www.rafthike.com

      rkshane@...