Aerial Spraying to Close Zion Backcountry

  • bruce silliman
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2007
      I am posting this in its entirety since it is not yet on Zion's
      website. I've cross-posted to canyons and uutah:

      "Zion National Park to Begin Post-Fire Rehabilitation

      Zion National Park Superintendent Jock Whitworth announces the
      completion of the Post-Fire Aerial Application of Herbicide
      Environmental Assessment (EA) and the signing of the Finding of No
      Significant Impact (FONSI) by the National Park Service Intermountain
      Regional Director.

      The park will begin the aerial application of herbicide on the area
      burned in the Dakota Hill Complex Fire after October 21, 2007. The
      project is expected to last up to 3 weeks – depending on weather. The
      aerial application of herbicide on up to 3,161 acres within the park
      is intended to interrupt the grass-fire cycle that is perpetuated by
      cheatgrass, a non-native, highly flammable grass. Because of the
      remote and rough terrain in the burn area, helicopter application of
      the herbicide will be used. If conditions allow (weather and plant
      growth) portions of the area burned in the 2006 Kolob fire will also
      be sprayed during this time.

      Be aware that during the project portions of the backcountry will be
      closed to visitor use. Closures will affect routes and trails
      accessed from the West Rim Trail. Check at the visitor center or the
      park website www.nps.gov/zion for the most current information.

      For more information on this project please contact Kelly Fuhrmann,
      Zion Fire Ecologist, at (435) 772-0193 or kelly_fuhrmann@.... To
      obtain a copy of the FONSI, visit the park website at
      www.nps.gov/zion."

      bruce from bryce