Re: equipment recs for mid august hike through narrows?

  • dagwood911
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
      Joe's list is very good. Let me highlight one of the items that he
      eludes to but does not specifically name. A headlamp. Make sure that
      you have a headlamp especially if you are doing the through hike. A
      couple of years ago our group watched as numerous boy scouts and a few
      straglers stumbled through our camp as night was falling in their
      effort to get to the end of the narrows. I know for a fact that many
      did not make it and not a single one of them had a headlamp on them. It
      got very dark, thundered, lightninged and rained. For boyscouts, they
      were quite unprepared. It's part of my standard equipment, I do not go
      on a hike no matter how long with out one. Just my two cents. Oh yeah
      and NO COTTON.
      Tim

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, changol

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
        Tim - Great suggestion; I should add headlamp to that list. I take one
        on every single hike and don't think twice about it. It has saved me
        from being stranded in the dark several times now! -Joe
      • changol
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
          Thanks everyone for the replies.

          A question about socks, if you wear hiking socks do you just tough it
          out for a few hours of waterlogged feet?

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones"

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
            I know Tom isn't down with Keens, but one of the reasons I love them
            is because your feet feel free and you never feel soggy. But yes, you
            do get less protection than boots/sneakers, but some of
            us "leatherfeet" hikers get by with them. :)

            Otherwise, neoprene socks in Exum Rivers are quite comfortable out of
            the water and drain quickly. Or you could stow a pair of sandals in
            your pack to make the Riverside Walk and bus ride more comfortable.

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Thanks everyone for the replies.
            >
            > A question about socks, if you wear hiking socks do you just tough
            it
            > out for a few hours of waterlogged feet?
            >

            > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones"
            > <ratagonia@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Others have and will disagree, but...
            > >
            > > In a word - no! The main thing you want for the Narrows is
            protection
            > > for your feet. Sandals, even Keenes, just don't provide any
            > > protection. I would recommend a pair of heavy hiking socks (wool
            or
            > > synthetic blend) and a pair of sneakers that fit well over them.
            > > Otherwise your feet will get really beat up.
            > >
            > > You can also rent shoes in Springdale.
            > >
            > > The water is low and recently has been very silty due to rain.
            It
            > > tends to be chilly enough in there that you should bring a fleece
            > > sweater and a hat. I would wear a t-shirt or a lightweight
            capilene
            > > layer on top, and quick-dry shorts.
            > >
            > > Tom
            > >

            > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, changol
            > > <no_reply@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi all,
            > > >
            > > > We are planning on doing the Zion Narrows day hike in a couple
            of
            > > > weeks, and have been reading about recommendations for
            shoes/socks.
            > > > Will a closed toe sandal like a pair of Keens be ok without
            socks? Or
            > > > would socks be highly recommended? Also wondering what temps in
            the
            > > > Narrows would be like (forecast calls for high 90's/low 100's
            in the
            > > > park?). How many layers would you pack/wear considering its so
            hot?

            > > > Thanks in advance!

          • Bo
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
              If we're adding to the list pretty soon I'll have to sell you a
              larger pack! :-)

              Water Filter or sodium hyperchlorite, Adventure Medical Kit and one
              of their Bivy's, some matches or lighter in a dry container, and some
              chemical, air reactive handwarmers. A small digital recorder and
              camera with extra memory and betteries.

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "dagwood911"
              <dagwood911@...> wrote:

              > Joe's list is very good. Let me highlight one of the items that he
              > eludes to but does not specifically name. A headlamp. Make sure
              that
              > you have a headlamp especially if you are doing the through hike.
              > couple of years ago our group watched as numerous boy scouts and a
              few
              > straglers stumbled through our camp as night was falling in their
              > effort to get to the end of the narrows. I know for a fact that
              many
              > did not make it and not a single one of them had a headlamp on
              them. It
              > got very dark, thundered, lightninged and rained. For boyscouts,
              they
              > were quite unprepared. It's part of my standard equipment, I do not
              go
              > on a hike no matter how long with out one. Just my two cents. Oh
              yeah
              > and NO COTTON.
              > Tim
              >
              > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, changol
              > <no_reply@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all,
              > >
              > > We are planning on doing the Zion Narrows day hike in a couple of
              > > weeks, and have been reading about recommendations for
              shoes/socks.
              > > Will a closed toe sandal like a pair of Keens be ok without
              socks? Or
              > > would socks be highly recommended? Also wondering what temps in
              the
              > > Narrows would be like (forecast calls for high 90's/low 100's in
              the
              > > park?). How many layers would you pack/wear considering its so
              hot?

              > > Thanks in advance!

            • dagwood911
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
                Now you are starting to list the contents of my essential packs, A,
                B, and C. Oh yeah and an Imlay Heaps pack.....never leave home
                without it!! And they say I carry too much! HA.

                Tim

                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Bo"
                <bomabro84738@...> wrote:

                > If we're adding to the list pretty soon I'll have to sell you a
                > larger pack! :-)
                >
                > Water Filter or sodium hyperchlorite, Adventure Medical Kit and one
                > of their Bivy's, some matches or lighter in a dry container, and
                some
                > chemical, air reactive handwarmers. A small digital recorder and
                > camera with extra memory and betteries.
                >
                > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "dagwood911"
                > <dagwood911@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Joe's list is very good. Let me highlight one of the items that
                he
                > > eludes to but does not specifically name. A headlamp. Make sure
                > that
                > > you have a headlamp especially if you are doing the through
                hike.
                > > couple of years ago our group watched as numerous boy scouts and
                > few
                > > straglers stumbled through our camp as night was falling in their
                > > effort to get to the end of the narrows. I know for a fact that
                > many
                > > did not make it and not a single one of them had a headlamp on
                > them. It
                > > got very dark, thundered, lightninged and rained. For boyscouts,
                > they
                > > were quite unprepared. It's part of my standard equipment, I do
                not
                > go
                > > on a hike no matter how long with out one. Just my two cents.
                Oh
                > yeah
                > > and NO COTTON.
                > > Tim
                > >
                > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, changol
                > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi all,
                > > >
                > > > We are planning on doing the Zion Narrows day hike in a couple
                of
                > > > weeks, and have been reading about recommendations for
                > shoes/socks.
                > > > Will a closed toe sandal like a pair of Keens be ok without
                > socks? Or
                > > > would socks be highly recommended? Also wondering what temps in
                > the
                > > > Narrows would be like (forecast calls for high 90's/low 100's
                in
                > the
                > > > park?). How many layers would you pack/wear considering its so
                > hot?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks in advance!

              • Tom Jones
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks everyone for the replies.
                  >
                  > A question about socks, if you wear hiking socks do you just tough it
                  > out for a few hours of waterlogged feet?

                  Well, part of the question is how much you want to spend on gear. You
                  could buy shoes ($100.00) and neoprene socks ($20.00) and then you
                  would be set up, totally deluxe, totally comfortable. You can rent
                  shoes and socks for one day at Zion Adventure Company, and you also
                  get a big walking stick and a nice 20 minute talk on everything you
                  wanted to know about the Narrows (about $25.00 per person).

                  Or, we can cobble together a pretty reasonable kit from stuff you are
                  likely to have, which I think of as one of the goals of this forum -
                  provide people with info on how to do things without spending more
                  money than they really have to. Of course, we do have a broad range
                  of opinions from the variety of experts here.

                  I, personally, am not a sandal person, and like protection for my
                  feet. From your likely selection of stuff in the closet, I would wear
                  heavy hiking socks (smartwool, Teko, etc) and a sturdy pair of
                  approach shoes or trail-running sneakers. I don't like light hiking
                  boots because they get too heavy, and they get trashed.

                  If you want to buy shoes, buy the Exum Rivers. They can also be used
                  for just plain hiking (whereas, the 5.10 Canyoneers are less like
                  regular shoes and are not suitable or stylish for hiking outside of
                  canyons). Neoprene socks are really nice because they keep the silt
                  out of your toes. But my TEKO wool socks have been doing very well.

                  Uh, it might be a new sensation for you to be walking with very wet
                  feet - but it is normal and not too much of a problem unless you
                  develop blisters.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
                    Doesn't it seem silly to buy a pair of shoes to do a single day hike?

                    We always have some sort of lightweight water shoes for each member
                    of our family. We use 'em in the tidepools (we go to the wild beaches
                    on the Olympic Peninsula every year). I also really like these "tide
                    pool shoes" as lightweight camp shoes for backpacking; your feet get
                    less dusty around the camp site than with flip flops and they are
                    lighter than almost anything else. These things show up for $10 -
                    $25 depending on whether you get the cheap ones at your local drug
                    store or nicer ones from places like LL Bean (there are also much
                    much nicer shoes, that are worth it, if you do a lot of this kind of
                    stuff).

                    BUT... last month during a 4 hr day hike in the narrows, then again
                    the next day in Clear/Pine creeks when there were a bunch of pooled
                    passages, my family really enjoyed the neoprene socks we'd gotten.
                    There were some for $10/pair at Campmore (but they run small, and
                    were too small for my size 12 feet). They make a cheap shoe feel
                    real cozy and I think make you less likely to get blisters as well as
                    feel a bit less likely to bang your toes walking on the cobbles
                    underwater. Felt just great.

                    I will definitely take the socks to WA in a few weeks. Walking a
                    gravelly beach with breakers beats up your feet.
                  • cleo2323us
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 12, 2007
                      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "mojave_ben"
                      <mojave_ben@...> wrote:

                      > Doesn't it seem silly to buy a pair of shoes to do a single day hike?

                      Zion Adventures in Springdale rents equipment for a Narrows hike:

                      http://www.zionadventures.com/complete_rental_equipment_price_list.html
                    • Gary Clayton Palmer
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 12, 2007
                        You definately want footwear that is closed toe. Sock are optional as
                        there is a lot of new silt and socks may become filled quickly. I wear
                        sandals and don't like walking sticks but most people use them.
                        The water is relatively shallow now unless like me you want to do the
                        deep areas stay along the walls where most everyone walks.
                        The Adventurezone company does rent shoes and sticks for about $20 per
                        person. But if you already have a good set of sandals or shoes you can
                        rely on when extremely wet and have a walking stick or know a good
                        forest nearby and can find a good one go with that.
                        I just spent the summer working in Zion at the lodge and hiked the
                        narrows every week from mid-April to late July. I have watched the
                        water go from about 2-3 feet deep to less than a foot in the shallow
                        areas.
                        I have hiked all the way to Big Springs and loved every hike. I usually
                        start at the trailhead of the River Walk and start in the river instead
                        of the trail. I usually had the river to myself besides deer and
                        turkeys,except at the areas closest to the trail. There are still a lot
                        of nice deep swimming holes if you like cool refreshing water to cool
                        off in. By the way the temps in the main narrows are much cooler than
                        down below in the Zion lodge canyon area. There are usually depending
                        on the time of day and direction of the narrow a bit of intense sun but
                        in small patches. Much of the time you will be in deep shade.
                        I usually hiked opposite where everyone else was walking and swam or
                        forced my way thru the current. One the way up that is. On the the way
                        down I would let the water do most of the work and ride the current.
                        I will post some pictures from a hike I did a couple weeks ago when the
                        water was black from the ash and full of silt.
                        There were some heavy fires on the rims that washed into the canyon
                        making the water surface black with ash and burnt wood.
                        Have fun,
                        I am back in my home in Jackson Hole, Wyoming saving for another summer
                        next year in Alaska.--- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com,
                        changol <no_reply@...> wrote:

                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > We are planning on doing the Zion Narrows day hike in a couple of
                        > weeks, and have been reading about recommendations for shoes/socks.
                        > Will a closed toe sandal like a pair of Keens be ok without socks? Or
                        > would socks be highly recommended? Also wondering what temps in the
                        > Narrows would be like (forecast calls for high 90's/low 100's in the
                        > park?). How many layers would you pack/wear considering its so hot?
                        >
                        > Thanks in advance!

                      • Jan Taylor
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 12, 2007
                          Everyone is going to have their own personal favorite system for wet hikes, Narrows and
                          otherwise. My preference is trail runner shoes and Smartwool socks for longer wet hikes,
                          particularly with cold water. This is how I hiked the Narrows a couple of years ago, having
                          started at 8:00 a.m. over the July 4 weekend. My trail runners are Salomon's with the one
                          pull-lace system and almost full mesh on the uppers for draining. They have lug soles, so
                          grab onto the wet rocks pretty well. The socks kept my feet warm even when wet. I also
                          used two trekking poles, which I think are very necessary for a Narrows hike. You will be
                          hiking on water-covered rocks most of the time.

                          For shorter wet hikes (Grand Canyon), I've just worn my Chaco sandals with the hiking
                          soles, although gravel does get between my feet and the sandals. I hate it when that
                          happens.

                          Jan Taylor