Floods in Zion

  • adkramoo
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
      YIKES!

      FLOOD UPDATE: Zion Canyon residents evacuated

      ST. GEORGE — Residents of Zion Canyon have been evacuated as a
      result of flooding from a heavy, late-afternoon thunderstorm that
      passed through the area.

      Springdale Police Officer Nick Hallman said evacuations have taken
      place at the Zion River Resort, the Staples family complex, Mosquito
      Cove and other low-lying areas.

      There have been reports that officials had used helicopters to
      evacuate residents. However, our reporter on the scene, Patrice St.
      Germain, said nobody has been airlifted. She said officials told her
      they were prepared to use choppers to evacuate families, but did not
      need them.

      And

      Flooding in Zion

      FLOOD UPDATE: Water wreaks havoc near Zion

      The North Creek flooded its banks today and washed over State Route
      9, closing the highway for several hours.

      On Kolob Road, six homes were flooded. Kolob Terrace Road has been
      damaged and is closed.

      Springdale Police Officer Nick Hallman said campers at the Zion
      River Resort were evacuated about 10 minutes before flood waters
      washed into the park.

      In one area, several residents were trapped until flood waters
      receded.

      Authorities have opened westbound traffic through Zion Canyon on SR-
      9, but eastbound traffic is still closed.

      Another storm is expected with the possibility of more flooding.

      Keep checking this Web site for updates.
    • Tom Jones
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
        That would be the town of Virgin.

        Tom

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "adkramoo"

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007

          Standing behind our rental house --- the East Fork is RAGING!!!!  The house is at the edge of the river....    but as fast as it is going... it's not up to the top yet, like it was a couple of years ago.