Re: flash in the narrows

  • claytongarypalmer
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 10:18 AM
      -I hiked the narrows to Orderville Canyon last week and the water had
      lots of ash in it. But only on the surface was it black the water
      itself was clear.
      Today its a thick muddy brown and flowing quite swiftly.-- In
      Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "bruce silliman"

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 2:23 PM

        It's a mess here!  Trees falling...   floods...  expecting power to go out for another few hours tonight!  Ouch!!!!

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Church group narrowly escapes Zion flooding
        > BY KEN PETERSON
        > kpeterson@... <mailto:kpeterson@...
        >

        > ST. GEORGE - A church group of about 30 people in the lower part of The
        > Narrows at Zion National Park had to escape to higher ground Friday when
        > the North Fork of the Virgin River flash-flooded from heavy rains.
        > Park superintendent Jock Whitworth said the group had hiked about three
        > miles up the canyon and was making its way back when the water came up
        > on them. He said they climbed atop some boulders to escape the flood.
        >

        > A few people got off the boulders before the water subsided. One woman
        > lost her footing and was washed down the river for about a quarter of a
        > mile before she was able to work her way out.
        > Whitworth said a visitor waded across the river to give her a towel to
        > dry off and she waited there until park rangers came to help her back
        > across the river.
        > Whitworth said another group was still camping in The Narrows Saturday,
        > but is not expected to come out until late in the evening. Park
        > officials are waiting to see if they make it out safely.
        > Whitworth cautions people to watch weather forecasts and if rain comes
        > and the water starts to rise, move to higher ground and stay there until
        > the water subsides.
        >

        > http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070729/NEWS01/70\
        > 7290305/1002
        > <http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070729/NEWS01/7\
        > 07290305/1002>

      • wininzion
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1 5:56 PM
          We got the same storm in T-ville yet Hurricane was almost dry.
          LaVerkin Cr behind the house is really flashing.

          Be safe,
          Win