Re: SAR in Zion's Subway

    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007

      Unless you are the one that has to carry her!  :D

      PS --- A woman can weight that much and be drop dead gorgeous too... and muscular! :*

      And since no woman says what she really weighs you might find out its more when you do go and try and pick her up.  :">

      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007

        :))

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Michael Blitch <mblitch@...> wrote:

        > I hope you take this in the good way it is intended, but I hope I never
        > have to meet you on the trail!
        >
        > Mike
        >
        > Bo wrote:
        > > Cody and Rob hiked in sunday night and tended to her medical needs.
        > > She had fallen closer to the last rappel/waterfall, but her hiking
        > > buddies had assisted her downstream a ways until she no longer could
        > > slither. They spent a pretty much sleepless night. I was called
        > > sunday night and asked if i wanted to help and said yes. 6 of us
        > > hiked in on monday morning. We loaded her into the litter I carried
        > > in and moved her across the stream where the GC Ship decided they
        > > could send down a rope and medic. She was strapped into a "diaper
        > > harness" and off she and the medic flew hanging under the helicopter.
        > > We hiked out and called it a day.

      • Bo
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007

          --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Michael Blitch <mblitch@...> wrote:

          > I hope you take this in the good way it is intended, but I hope I never
          > have to meet you on the trail!
          >
          > Mike

          I would hope that maybe we could cross paths out there Mike! I really enjoy putting a face to the voice. I know that you will be making your trip out here soon and it would be fun to meet you in person. If we don't meet.......I wish you a super fun time!

          Bo

        • Bo
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "cardlaw22" <cardlaw22@...> wrote:

            > I believe the politically correct medical term for a woman over 225lbs
            > is "very well nourished" At least that is what the reports I read
            > say ;-)

            No....now Rob was "very well nourished" as the gvmt. supplied "Pork Patty MRE" really fueled him up for the hike out monday morning. I made sure to stay well ahead on the hike out.

            She was a very nice lady. I knew I was near because I smelled coffee brewing. I arrived with the litter ahead of the rest of the team. Rob was brewing coffee (you have to know Cody to know why!) and Cody was attending to her and looked up and said "Bo...wheres the rest of the team?" I said "Just behind and coming soon". The gal looked up at me and said, "So I finally meet the famous Bo!", "Wheres Tanya?" Well anyway....she has been using our website to do other hikes and was very gracious. If she could have she would have continued on her own power! I wish her well and just want to say that I am glad to see that folks have the drive to recreate in the outdoors.....screw TV's, x-box and the like (My opinion)

            Bo

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007

              I have no doubt you are always ahead of the rest of the SAR team.  You just seem to move like air... so fast!

              Please tell me that our Beta did not get her hurt!!!! :O

              My daughter and Bo's son in the Subway

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Bo" <bbeck@...> wrote:
              > No....now Rob was "very well nourished" as the gvmt. supplied "Pork
              > Patty MRE" really fueled him up for the hike out monday morning. I made
              > sure to stay well ahead on the hike out.
              >
              > She was a very nice lady. I knew I was near because I smelled coffee
              > brewing. I arrived with the litter ahead of the rest of the team. Rob
              > was brewing coffee (you have to know Cody to know why!) and Cody was
              > attending to her and looked up and said "Bo...wheres the rest of the
              > team?" I said "Just behind and coming soon". The gal looked up at me and
              > said, "So I finally meet the famous Bo!", "Wheres Tanya?" Well
              > anyway....she has been using our website to do other hikes and was very
              > gracious. If she could have she would have continued on her own power! I
              > wish her well and just want to say that I am glad to see that folks have
              > the drive to recreate in the outdoors.....screw TV's, x-box and the like
              > (My opinion)
              >
              > Bo

            • Bo
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007

                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > I have no doubt you are always ahead of the rest of the SAR team. You
                > just seem to move like air... so fast!
                >
                > Please tell me that our Beta did not get her hurt!!!! [:O]

                She could have used our "beta", Toms "beta" , Shanes "beta" ...Breretons "beta"....it makes no difference...It just so happens that you have done such an outstanding job of insuring that "we" seem to pop up #1....well....she used ours. I do remember though, I forgot to add that boulder problem in the middle of the wash as an obstacle.....but I think disclaimers ought to cover that?....Really though, she had not one complaint except that she didn't get to complete the hike. I insured her that the trip she was going to take is a view that one in a hundred thousand get to take!

                We're good to go Tanya....I think the information we have provided still tantalizes many and it's as accurate as the hikes may fair.

                Cheers

                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007

                  That reminds me of the girls we picked up in Coyotee Buttes.  That was funny... they were talking about Bo and Tanya and I turned around and said... Hi... I am Tanya, this is Bo. :))

                  I am still not clear on how she got hurt?

                  --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Bo" <bbeck@...> wrote:
                  > She could have used our "beta", Toms "beta" , Shanes "beta" ...Breretons
                  > "beta"....it makes no difference...It just so happens that you have done
                  > such an outstanding job of insuring that "we" seem to pop up
                  > #1....well....she used ours. I do remember though, I forgot to add that
                  > boulder problem in the middle of the wash as an obstacle.....but I think
                  > disclaimers ought to cover that?....Really though, she had not one
                  > complaint except that she didn't get to complete the hike. I insured her
                  > that the trip she was going to take is a view that one in a hundred
                  > thousand get to take!
                  >
                  > We're good to go Tanya....I think the information we have provided still
                  > tantalizes many and it's as accurate as the hikes may fair.
                  >
                  > Cheers

                • Bo
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007

                    --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike <no_reply@...> wrote:
                    > I am still not clear on how she got hurt?

                    Well...lets see, I think she said that she was trying to climb up and over a boulder, lost her balance and fell backwards. Must have been fairly rock ridden and hit her ankle. Her thigh and knee were very, very bruised.. I believe that she'll recover and enjoy many more of the hikes she found on www.zionnational-park.com.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007

                      So she was past the technical section and just doing the river hiking?

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 4, 2007

                        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike <no_reply@...> wrote:

                        > So she was past the technical section and just doing the river hiking?

                        Thats the way I understood her. She actually "slithered" , crawled and pushed downstream quite a ways before realizing that it would take days to even get to the "exit hill", and then to make it up the exit hill would have been nearly impossible. I figure she was about 30 minutes upstream of the Dinosaur Tracks where she decided to call for help?

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 4, 2007

                          She was almost out of there then!  What is a little mile or so on that horrible, Steep, hot, sandy exit.  :D

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 4, 2007

                            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike <no_reply@...> wrote:

                            > She was almost out of there then! What is a little mile or so on that
                            > horrible, Steep, hot, sandy exit. [:D]

                            No, she was maybe a couple hundred yards below the last rappel. She would have had maybe 2-3 more miles to go just to get to that exit hill! She did the right thing....wait for a tourist view of lower left fork hanging on a rope 100' beneath a helicopter!:D

                            > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Bo" bbeck@
                            > wrote:
                            > > Thats the way I understood her. She actually "slithered" , crawled and
                            > > pushed downstream quite a ways before realizing that it would take
                            > days
                            > > to even get to the "exit hill", and then to make it up the exit hill
                            > > would have been nearly impossible. I figure she was about 30 minutes
                            > > upstream of the Dinosaur Tracks where she decided to call for help?

                          • Michael Blitch
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 4, 2007
                              That's an awesome view of it. Just curious, but what would such a rescue
                              cost the unfortunate soul that needed such an unique experience?

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 4, 2007

                                --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Michael Blitch <mblitch@...> wrote:

                                > That's an awesome view of it. Just curious, but what would such a rescue
                                > cost the unfortunate soul that needed such an unique experience?

                                Well...I think it cost her a broken ankle, a long night of pain laying in the outdoors and I'm sure some embarrasment?

                                Financially....she had no expense for the actual operation. You and I the taxpayer fork the bill.

                                Not sure what the $ would be, but last time I heard it was $1500 to start the engine and about the same per hour of operation? I guess it was in operation maybe 1.5-2 hours total? Then 2 Park Rangers from 6pm until noon the next day. 6 more of us from 6am til noon. Total bill? Not very sure, but I'll take a stab at it. $3500.00 as a wild guess?

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 5, 2007

                                  Zion National Park (UT)
                                  Injured Hiker Rescued From The Subway

                                  On Monday, July 2nd, rangers rescued Debbie Whitaker, 45, of St. George, Utah, who'd injured her ankle the previous day in the Subway (the Left Fork of North Creek). Rangers were contacted by members of a group hiking out of the Subway Sunday evening. They reported that a woman in their party had sustained a ground-level fall near the last rappel in the canyon and was suffering from a severely sprained or possibly broken ankle. Rangers arrived at the scene at approximately 8:30 p.m. and found that Whitaker's ankle injury prevented her from hiking out. Due to the time of day and the nature of the incident, it was decided to attempt a helicopter evacuation on Monday, since a technical rescue would require a larger number of people and increase danger to the team. Two park rangers/medics spent the night with Whitaker in the Subway. Early on Monday morning, a helicopter from Grand Canyon National Park was called in to perform the short haul operation to extract her. Whitaker was successfully airlifted from the Subway at 10:30 a.m., then transferred to the park ambulance and taken to Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George. [Submitted by David Eaker, Public Affairs Officer]

                                  http://home.nps.gov/applications/morningreport/