Re: Information about backpacking zion

  • Christian
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2007
      As of last friday (the 28th)Potato Hollow was unusable, with just a
      slight wet area. The west rim spring was flowing enough that we were
      able to filter over 8 liters of water.

      --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones"
      <ratagonia@...> wrote:

      > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Bo" <bbeck@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > From West Rim Trailhead at Lava Point the next water source is
      > > at Potato Hollow on the trail (4 miles), then once again at the
      West
      > > Rim Spring (another 2.5 miles, I wouldn't count on it as being
      > > totally reliable!). This will be the last water source until the
      > > main canyon at the Grotto. Total distance from Lee Pass until the
      > > Grotto....38 miles.
      > > Have fun!
      > >
      > Latest reports are that Potato Hollow is essentially dry and
      unusable;
      > while the West Rim Spring continues to maintain a small trickle of
      > pumpable water. Don't know about the one up near the West Rim
      > Trailhead (Stave Spring?).
      >
      > Tom

    • Christian
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2007
        Forgot to mention that you should make sure you have plenty of water.
        I went through 4 liters of water between the West Rim Trailhead and
        the head of Phantom Valley. We had to continue down to the west rim
        spring to re-stock our water supplies. It was extremely hot in the
        sun up on the rim between Potato and Phantom.

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Christian"
        <nelsonccc@...> wrote:

        > As of last friday (the 28th)Potato Hollow was unusable, with just a
        > slight wet area. The west rim spring was flowing enough that we
        were
        > able to filter over 8 liters of water.
        >
        > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones"
        > <ratagonia@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Bo" <bbeck@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > From West Rim Trailhead at Lava Point the next water source is
        > > > at Potato Hollow on the trail (4 miles), then once again at the
        > West
        > > > Rim Spring (another 2.5 miles, I wouldn't count on it as being
        > > > totally reliable!). This will be the last water source until
        the
        > > > main canyon at the Grotto. Total distance from Lee Pass until
        the
        > > > Grotto....38 miles.
        > > > Have fun!
        > > >
        > > Latest reports are that Potato Hollow is essentially dry and
        > unusable;
        > > while the West Rim Spring continues to maintain a small trickle
        of
        > > pumpable water. Don't know about the one up near the West Rim
        > > Trailhead (Stave Spring?).
        > >
        > > Tom

      • Michael Blitch
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2007
          Thanks to everyone that work to keep the group updated. I'm just about
          finished packing and will be in Zion on the 25th and 26th. Besides the
          Narrows, I have a permit for the Subway. I was planning on hiking up
          Angels Landing, along the west rim, camping, and then hoofing it through
          the Subway to the end. I'll see how the weather, heat, and such are
          when I make it there to decided to just day hike Angels and then do the
          normal Wildcat to Subway passage.

          Mike

          Tom Jones wrote:
          > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "at_runner"
          > <at_runner@...> wrote:
          >> Do I pick my permits at Lee Pass? Is there a backcountry office
          >> there or should I go somewhere else?
          >
          > Kolob Canyons Visitor Center 435-586-9548 They keep more limited
          > hours than the main VC, might need to call ahead. If you are
          > shuttling from Springdale, you will then use the main visitor center
          > just north of Springdale. 435-772-0170
          >
          > A hiker shuttle to Lee Pass is unusual. You may or may not be able to
          > get one of the companies to do it. Could be expensive. You by
          > yourself? Usually a 2-person minimum, meaning you will have to pay
          > for 2 people.
          >> I also have a general question about the hike(Lee Pass to Angels
          >> Landing). I have read mixed opinions/reviews about the hike. Some
          >> say that this is a beutiful hike with lots to see, others say there
          >> are some sections that are nice but a lot of boring hiking. I wonder
          >> your take on this and I realize it's an opinion thing.
          >>
          >> TIA
          >>
          > It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...
          >
          > Lees pass and down to LaVerkin Creek is really good. Campsite 18 is
          > really marvelous. Hop Valley is OK at the start, and not so hot the
          > upper half, or, maybe WAY too hot. A lot of walking in soft sand, and
          > parts are quite cowed up. A lot of elevation gain, those last couple
          > miles up to the road. The Connector trail I have not done. Wildcat
          > Canyon trail over to the West Rim Trailhead is nice but not too
          > special, but then again, not all that long. And the West Rim Trail -
          > divine!
          >
          > My crazy recommendation: from Lees Pass, go all the way to campsite
          > 18. Arrive about 2 PM. Cook dinner and get in a long nap. Up at
          > Midnight, hike Hop Valley in the dark, then as far as you can until it
          > gets too warm, then find a shady spot and catch up on sleep. Stashing
          > water where the Hop Valley Trailhead crosses the road might be a good
          > idea, as well as near the West Rim Trailhead. Continue, saunter
          > forth, arriving at Potato Hollow around dark. Camp, in a traditional
          > way. Follow the West Rim down to Angels Landing and the valley floor
          > the next day. When's your trip? Really hot out here right now - I
          > would HATE to be hiking up Hop Valley anytime during daylight hours.
          >
          > Tom
        • Tom Jones
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 3, 2007
            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Michael Blitch
            <mblitch@...> wrote:

            > I was planning on hiking up
            > Angels Landing, along the west rim, camping, and then hoofing it
            > through the Subway to the end. I'll see how the weather, heat, and
            > such are when I make it there to decided to just day hike Angels
            > and then do the normal Wildcat to Subway passage.
            >
            > Mike

            I probably said it before, but...

            It would be a shame to tarnish a trip through the Subway by carrying
            a bunch of overnight gear. If you do, do, then please do not think
            going down Wildcat Canyon, which is rough, slow and hot, is a good
            idea. Better to hike around to the Northgate Peaks trail and take
            the normal route into the Subway.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 3, 2007

              It will probably be hot.  Pack light and I hope you have fun!