Re: Bo value to the group

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 13, 2007

      Hi Guys......

      Bo will still post just as often.  He just feels reponsible for the families of the victims who are injured and such in Zion and feels bad as a moderator.   I know he likes your support though guys!  I doubt anyone but he would even notice the difference.

      Bo and I are headed to Buckskin early in the morning and hoping to bring back lots of good info and photos... so he is hanging out in my vacation house without internet tonight.  :)

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 13, 2007

        And yes!  Bo is invaluable to the group and one of the greatest resources on Zion ever!!!!  =D>

        --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Brigham <larry5925@...> wrote:

        > Bo,
        > As a moderator of another group I recommend you stay as a moderator. It
        > might be the case that you not post as often, as you see fit. Your advice
        > has always been reasoned and the pictures wonderful.
        >
        > Larry
        > larry5925@...
        >

        > On 6/13/07 10:04 AM, "Jim" mtntop123@... wrote:
        >

        > > Hi Group,
        > >
        > > I havent posted to much. But this group, particularly Bo and
        > > Tanya, have supplied an invaluable amount of information to me over
        > > the time I have been a member of the group.
        > >
        > > I have been hiking, driving, backpacking, exploring over the wilds
        > > of southern Utah for more than forty years. But even with this the
        > > information exchanged here has added a tremendous amount to the
        > > safety and enjoyment of my outdoors adventure enjoyment.
        > >
        > > I guess my point is that I hope Bo, the you will reconsider your
        > > with drawal from the group as a moderator, as you been a such a
        > > tremendous help to all of the rest of us of the group.
        > >
        > > I feel this group has saved a lot of lives in giving many helps
        > > that in the short run and long run. Also it will vastly help in
        > > the enjoyment of the experience outdoors.
        > >
        > > Your decision to remove your self as moderator in and of itself
        > > shows the care and committment you have for others.
        > >
        > > If your final decision is to step back, we all hope you will be
        > > back soon.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > >
        > > mtntop

      • Stefanos Folias
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 13, 2007
          have a great time in the buckskin!

          best,

          stefan

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 14, 2007

            Awesome Canyon!  We were going to camp overnight but those 22 or so miles seemed so easy we did it in a day shooting ????? pph  :p

            Oh.. my aching toes. :)

            --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Stefanos Folias <sf@...> wrote:

            > have a great time in the buckskin!
            >
            > best,
            >
            > stefan
            >

            > On Jun 13, 2007, at 10:42 PM, luvs_to_hike wrote:
            >

            > > Hi Guys......
            > >
            > > Bo will still post just as often. He just feels reponsible for the
            > > families of the victims who are injured and such in Zion and feels
            > > bad as a moderator. I know he likes your support though guys! I
            > > doubt anyone but he would even notice the difference.
            > >
            > > Bo and I are headed to Buckskin early in the morning and hoping to
            > > bring back lots of good info and photos... so he is hanging out in
            > > my vacation house without internet tonight.
            > >

            > > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Brigham
            > > larry5925@ wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Bo,
            > > > As a moderator of another group I recommend you stay as a
            > > moderator. It
            > > > might be the case that you not post as often, as you see fit.
            > > Your advice
            > > > has always been reasoned and the pictures wonderful.
            > > >
            > > > Larry
            > > > larry5925@

            > > over

          • Bo
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 15, 2007
              Thanks people! I'm not gone; Im still around and appreciate your
              support! Just a little "conflict of interest" sort of thing
              ocasionally and maybe I'll want that crown thingy again, but for now
              I think I'll cool my jets!

              Buckskin was really cool! I carried my full pack and got in some good
              training and Tanya is 4 for 4 on taking some amazing photos while
              still pushing on for those super long days with always a smile on her
              face! Great job Tanya!

              We're Back!!!!!!!!!

              --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, luvs_to_hike

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 15, 2007

                Full pack is an understatement!  Bo could hardly fit his skinny body through some of the tight slot sections with that huge pack. :p

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 15, 2007

                  A couple more photos.

                  buckskin-zd.jpg

                  buckskin-x.jpg

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 15, 2007

                    Buckskin photos

                    buckskin-zbb.jpg

                    buckskin-zh.jpg

                  • Jan Taylor
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 16, 2007
                      Tanya,

                      Those are fabulous pictures! It looks like you had dry conditions. Were there any pools?
                      When I was there two years ago (this time of year) we encountered several thunder storms,
                      so opted not to do the whole canyon. The first mile+ was almost continuous boot-
                      sucking, slippery, gooey mud with a few pools knee deep. So we did day hikes in Paria
                      Canyon, Buckskin Gulch, The Wave, and the Wahweap Wash to the hoodoos - thanks to
                      your recommendations.

                      Jan Taylor

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 16, 2007

                        Thanks Jan!

                        There were 4 or so wading pools.... nothing above my mid thigh.  You had hit Wahweap Wash when it was dry and hot if I remember right.  That one we did with thunderstorms.. making it a great hike!  Weather does make all the difference some times.  We had soft, deep sand to slog through almost the entire trip so we got our exercise for sure.  Still it sounds better than the gooey stuff you describe.  The good thing about Buckskin is if you day hiking it, you can just get a permit right at the trailhead for $5.  No reservations needed... so you can try again if down this way.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 16, 2007

                          Our album is done

                          http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/index44.htm

                          > --- In Zion_National_Park_Hiking@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Taylor"
                          > jhntaylor@ wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Tanya,
                          > >
                          > > Those are fabulous pictures! It looks like you had dry conditions.
                          > Were there any pools?
                          > > When I was there two years ago (this time of year) we encountered
                          > several thunder storms,
                          > > so opted not to do the whole canyon. The first mile+ was almost
                          > continuous boot-
                          > > sucking, slippery, gooey mud with a few pools knee deep. So we did day
                          > hikes in Paria
                          > > Canyon, Buckskin Gulch, The Wave, and the Wahweap Wash to the hoodoos
                          > - thanks to
                          > > your recommendations.
                          > >
                          > > Jan Taylor

                        • Stefanos Folias
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 16, 2007
                            great photos, tanya ... 'twas a pleasure to take the virtual tour :)

                            thanks

                            stefan

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 16, 2007

                              Thanks! :)

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 16, 2007

                                Found this old article on Buckskin that I liked....

                                Classic Trails 2005
                                Utah's Buckskin Gulch
                                The superslot. By Peter Potterfield

                                Hike Utah's Buckskin Gulch, one of world's greatest hikes, with the help of Adventure's May cover story.

                                JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH: Admiring an underground sculpture garden inside the Buckskin Gulch

                                From start to finish, the Buckskin Gulch offers a subterranean tour of the layer cake that is the Colorado Plateau, beginning with the dramatic red rock of the Navajo sandstone and ending with the strata of the Moenave and Chinle formations. Traveling downstream through each layer, it meanders between fluted rock walls that reflect indirect sunlight in quintessential desert hues. Buckskin is the most impressive slot canyon hike in North America and likely anywhere: a 13-mile (21-kilometer) corridor of stone so deep you can barely see the sky and so narrow it sometimes forces you to remove your pack to get through.

                                The gulch lies near Kanab, Utah, smack in the middle of the nation's finest region for desert hiking: It's north of Grand Canyon National Park, south of Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, east of Zion National Park, and west of Lake Powell. But in the entire region, there's no start to a hike as dramatic as Buckskin Gulch's two-mile (three-kilometer) squeeze through the two-foot-wide passage of Wire Pass. Hikers then follow the sandy bottom of the gulch 13 miles (21 kilometers) to its confluence with the Paria River Canyon, a bizarre underground intersection of two drainages that's as hauntingly beautiful as it is abrupt. Hiking upstream, the narrows of the Paria River extend another five miles before widening and returning hikers to blue sky at the trail's end. In both the gulch and the Paria River Canyon, obstacles like deep pools, rock jams, and quicksand come and go, created and cleared by the frequent flash floods that make the Buckskin different each time you descend it.

                                INSIDER ADVICE: Bring a 20-foot (6-meter) rope to lower your packs when descending rock jams.

                                WHEN TO GO: April to June or September to October

                                LOGISTICS: Kanab, Utah, the closest town to the trailhead, is about a four-hour drive from Las Vegas. The BLM Kanab Field Office has up-to-date information on gulch conditions and issues permits (U.S. $5 a day; +1 435 644 4600). Start your hike with enough water for two days (two gallons per person); you'll be able to refill once you reach the Paria River. All slot canyon hikes are inherently dangerous because of the potential for flash floods. Check the weather forecast before leaving, and don't go into the gulch if rain threatens.